More threads by braveheart

braveheart

I was doing some Google research this afternoon, and came across the intruiging diagnostic label of 'Traumatic Stress Personality Disorder'.

The thing is, the articles where it's described are subscriber only, and I'm not a subscriber.

So, I was wondering if anyone here who has access to these articles could fill me in on what exactly this is. Obviously it's not in the DSM or ICD-10 yet, but I'm still interested.

Some of the links I found, and am unable to access are on Ingenta Connect and Springerlink.

Thanks.

Halo

Braveheart,

Was this the website that you were looking at?

IngentaConnect

I don't have time at the moment to look more closely at it but will later, if it is indeed the correct website.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As you already know, this isn't a diagnosis but rather a p[roposed disagnosis or theorectical concept.

IngentaConnect Traumatic Stress Personality Disorder TrSPD: Intertheoretical The...

Abstract:

This article discusses a new personality disorder entity, ?traumatic stress personality disorder,? conceptualized as a composite organization with transactional properties that mutually structure post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and personality disorders (PDs). The transactional/synergistic view of PTSD/PD comorbidity derives in part from scientific findings that PTSD's enduring biological effects are discernible in the personality of individuals 30 to 50 years or more after the overwhelming event, and from psychodynamic formulations on the development and structuring of personality defenses. An intertheoretical therapy model is also presented, and consists of multiple therapies actively integrated to meet the patient's complex post-trauma needs. This article argues for the development of theoretical, investigatory, and therapeutic measures to address PTSD/PD configurations in traumatized victims. Basically, the position espoused is that PTSD/PD should be measured as one rather than two entities, with neither component being considered as a confounding but integral factor in measurement. The eight components of traumatic stress personality disorder are discussed, along with a case study to demonstrate the model's clinical applications. The integration of cognitive, behavioral, psychodynamic, and existential treatment approaches is geared to assist the victim to developmental progress to survivor status, and then beyond this level of integration to thriver a person whose adaptational learning in therapy created a ?vital psychological immune system? that consistently protects against dissociative regression in response to the daily stresses of life. Transference, countertransference, therapists' self-care and self-monitoring are seen as integral to the treatment of traumatic stress personality disorders.

Traumatic Stress Personality Disorder (TrSPD): Intertheoretical Therapy for the PTSD/PD Dissociogenic Organization
Journal Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy
Publisher Springer Netherlands
ISSN 0022-0116 (Print) 1573-3564 (Online)
Issue Volume 27, Number 4 / April, 1997
DOI 10.1023/A:1025618625487
Pages 323-367
Subject Collection Medicine
SpringerLink Date Wednesday, November 24, 2004

See attachment.

braveheart

^ ditto.

It says that it's been posted as a email attachment format or something. I can pm you a screenshot if that would help?

I'm really interested in this, although I'm guessing it's similar to Complex PTSd, I'd still like to read up on it....

braveheart

Oks.

If anyone out there has access to the Journal it's in ... maybe...

We can order parts of journals via inter-library loan at work, when my manager, who deals with ILL requests, is back hopefully later this week, maybe I can ask her if that's possible.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. We know that people have different reactions to trauma but it's beyond me why anyone would think we need another "personality disorder" to saddle people with. PTSD is what it is; why tack on a personality disorder to that?

ladylore

Account Closed
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. We know that people have different reactions to trauma but iIt's beyond me why anyone would think we need another "personality disorder" to saddle people with. PTSD is what it is; why tack on a personality disorder to that?

Good point. :agree:

braveheart

I think it's useful, myself, because it includes all factors in one. Rather than having a whole bunch of symptoms from different diagnoses, it's all in one.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think it's useful, myself, because it includes all factors in one. Rather than having a whole bunch of symptoms from different diagnoses, it's all in one.

Isn't it already "all in one" in PTSD? Unless there are symptoms of other disorders in addition to PTSD, in which case it's appropriate to include those in an additional Axis I or Axis II diagnosis.

Besides, that's not what would happen, since what is proposed is a new personality disorder (i.e., Axis II) diagnosis. In practice, as I said, PTSD patients would now be given a diagnosis of PTSD on Axis I and if the symptoms persist an additional Axis II diagnosis of TSPD. How is that helpful to either the patient or the clinician?

Knowing the process by which the DSM is revised, I highly doubt this one will make it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.