More threads by Retired

Retired

Bristol

Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine )
In Canada ( Desyrel Dividose )

Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine ) can be used in the treatment of any type of depression. It is also used to reduce the symptoms of agoraphobia, drug induced insomnia, essential tremor, repetitive screaming, and some pain syndromes. Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine ) works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain. Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine ) is used to relieve symptoms of depression such as feelings of sadness, worthlessness, or guilt; loss of interest in daily activities; changes in appetite; tiredness; sleeping too much; insomnia; and thoughts of death or suicide. Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine ) may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Strengths:

Tables:
50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, 300 mg.

Dosages: Actual dosage must be determined by a physician.

Oral:

Start: 50 mg 3 times daily.
Increases: 50 mg in 3 or 4 day intervals.
Maximum: 400 mg in 24 hours.

Normal dosage:

If under 18 years of age, DO NOT USE.
18 to 60 years of age, 50mg to 300 mg.
Over 60 years of age, Lower dosage increased cautiously.

If dizziness or drowsiness becomes a problem, take 2 or 3 smaller doses throughout the day and a larger doses at bedtime.

Problems with:

Liver Function: Lower dosage, as needed.
In rare cases, may cause liver damage.

Kidney Function: N/A.

Take With: With food.

Full Benefits In: First week to three or more weeks.

Missed Dose(s): If within one hour take, if over an hour skip and then continue on your normal schedule. Never Take a Double Dose.

If Stop Taking: Do not stop without consulting your physician.

Warnings

The habit-forming potential is none.

Do not take trazodone if you have had a heart attack in the past 6 weeks. You may also require special monitoring during treatment if you have any type of heart disease, including a past heart attack, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, or chest pain (angina).

Trazodone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether trazodone will be harmful to an unborn baby.

Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether trazodone passes into breast milk. Do not take trazodone without first talking to your doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.

Do not give this drug to any one under eighteen. If over sixty only use drug in small doses and with close monitoring of it's side effects.

Do not use if: You had negative reactions to this drug in the past.

Inform your Doctor if:

you had negative reactions to this drug in the past.
if you have a history of epilepsy, heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
if you are taking any other prescription or nonprescription drug.
if you plan to be under anesthesia or having any surgery in the next few months, also if you will be undergoing any medical tests.
Trazodone ( Symptoms or Effects )

Common: Dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness.

Rare: Anxiousness, blurred vision, confusion, constipation, decreased concentration, dry mouth, headache, inappropriate / painful erection, muscle pain, nausea, nervousness, shortness of breath, skin rash, or vomiting.

See physician always: Decreased concentration, muscle pain, or shortness of breath.

See physician if severe: Anxiousness, blurred vision, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, lightheadedness, nausea, nervousness, or vomiting.

Stop taking and see physician NOW: Skin rash, inappropriate / painful erection, or confusion.

Interactions:

Digoxin ( Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps ).
Phenytoin ( Dilantin ).
A monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor such as isocarboxazid ( Marplan ), phenelzine ( Nardil ), or tranylcypromine ( Parnate ).
Warfarin ( Coumadin ).

Trazodone ( Desyrel, Trialodine ) can be used in the treatment of any type of depression. It is also used to reduce the symptoms of agoraphobia,drug induced insomnia, essential tremor, repetitive screaming,and some pain syndromes.

How it works See thumbnail): Increases availability of serotonin

Source

Attachments

• synaps.gif
    synaps.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 1

Banned

Banned
Re: trazodone (Desyrel)

I was prescribed Trazodone (and actually just flushed the rest of the rx this morning!) for insomnia - unfortunately it made me rather ill. I felt my heart start racing, the room was spinning, it kept me UP all night, and the next day I couldn't function I was so incredibly sick.

Obviously one person's experience, but I wasn't advised of those potential side effects, so it kind of freaked me out. I also noticed after that it said to take with food, which I hadn't, so that may have helped as well.

BG, it's kind of scary and frustrating to have a reaction to a medication like that. The side effects of medications can be discouraging. It's good there are different medications we can try if one just doesn't work.

:hug:

I was prescribed this drug (Molipaxin, UK) some years ago and it made me ill to, it caused a really bad skin rash and bruising around the rash, I was taken straight of it by my GP, another DR had put me on it for depression.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have many clients taking trazodone for insomnia with no side-effects at all. It's not commonly used as a stand-alone antidepressant these days precisely because it does tend to make people sleepy.

That said, the experiences of the forum members described here is a reminder that there is a small risk for anyone of a bad or even allergic reaction to ANY medication.

My practice has been to always start a new medication on a weekend or a Friday night. That way, if I do react to it, I'm home so there will be somebody to help me in case I have a bad reaction, and of course I don't have to work (usually) in that event.

Halo

I remember being prescribed Trazodone a few years back and taking it along with 3 others at the time and the only thing that it did for me was make me very sleepy. It made me feel so tired and groggy the next day and that was why I stopped taking it.

I like your suggestion David of starting a new med on a weekend...good idea :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.