More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I've just learned that apparently I can "unlock" my cell phone when I take it overseas to get very cheap rates to call home, or have people call me. Does anyone know anything about this? How can I be sure that the company online is "for real" and not a scam? Are there any dangers to doing this? I'm always a little skeptical about stuff like this, so I suppose I'm just looking for a little reassurance.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Turtle. I would call your mobile phone provider to be sure.

I am not sure of an unlocking feature with the exception of locking it so that no one else can use your mobile if you lose it etc.

I know most of the phones now are world phones where they have access in most countries with the GSM network.

I think it is good you are being careful, just to make sure. I have heard of scams where peoples phones are hijacked when crossing boarders etc.

You could also call the Blackberry Company, Research In Motion if it is a Blackberry you baught, I recall you mentioned you were thinking to buy one.

Hope this helps.

Banned

Banned
Thanks NN. I looked into it. It's totally safe and totally legal. Locking it is something your provider does when they receive it from the manufacturer, so they can nail you with ridiculous roaming fees. In some countries its illegal for it to be locked. By purchasing an unlock code, you can unlock it, put in a global sim card, and call anywhere in the world for ridiculously cheap rates. For example, when I go to Italy, I'll get free incoming calls from Canada, and I can call Canada for only 35 cents/minute, with no roaming fees, vs paying my cell phone provider almost $4/minute. Plus my internet roaming fees will be basically nothing so I won't have to carry my laptop with me. I'll save a fortune.

Jazzey

Account Closed
:lol: & "groan" (I think I'm stealing from Meg)...Someone needs some good quality sleep...Soon! :)

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Thanks for letting me know Turtle. I apologize for the mis information :friends:

Banned

Banned
No worries, NN. I was completely clueless about this until yesterday, and not surprisingly, everyone I've mentioned it to since has been as well. It's the carriers "best kept secret" to suck you in to paying ridiculous roaming fees.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.