More threads by ExerciseGuy

ExerciseGuy

As a person who had had their fair share of anxiety issues, I know that exercise can really help! Exercise on it's own is not the solution to anxiety and stress, but when used in combination with therapy, it can be life changing.

I do not recommend doing exercise alone when dealing with anxiety. The reason is because I think that may only bring temporary relief and could lead to obsessive behavior. This is why I say it should be part of an overall strategy to conquer stress and anxiety.

Now, having said that and before I go on, just let me say that I am in no way qualified to give advice on mental health issues. I can only relate to you from my personal experiences and beliefs so I ask you to always seek professional advice.

During time of high anxiety, the thought of doing some exercise may be the last thing on your mind. That's certainly understandable, so you need to think about exercise during your calmer moments. That is the time to consider how you could introduce exercise into your life.

For many people, the thought of starting an exercise program or trying to figure out where to start, can be overwhelming on it's own. It can be a source of anxiety so I'll try and help you get started nice and easy. Once you get going, you will feel better.

The easiest way to get started is to simply begin a daily walking routine.

Our bodies are meant to walk. It is a very natural way for us to exercise and there are many benefits. The basic walking workout below is a great place to start, and if you are interested in a more detailed walking fitness plan, then please look at the walking routine under the workout routines section of my website.

Basic Walking Routine
First off, choose a nice route in your neighborhood that is safe and pleasant. If you have issues about going outside, then you may consider using a treadmill. I always recommend walking outside though, because it is more interesting and empowering.

Start by walking 15 minutes each day for 5 days a week (or every day if you like!). Gradually build it up to 45 - 60 minutes a day, but take your time. The important thing is to be consistent.

It all sounds simple enough, and it is!

But there's more.

As you go about your walks, try to keep a brisk pace because you want to get your heart working a bit. This is what your heart likes and wants, and it is good for your health! A brisk pace is generally considered 100+ steps per minute. However, if you are out of shape or heavyset, then it will be lower for you. A good rule of thumb to know if you exercising at the right intensity is your breathing should be increased, but you should not be breathing heavy. Figure out a good, comfortable pace for yourself and then as you get fitter you may increase it over time.

After every 2-3 weeks, increase your walking time a little bit towards your end goal.

The Benefits Of Walking
Once you start your routine, you will notice that you start to feel better. It is great for helping relieve anxiety, especially if you use the time to focus your thoughts on positive things. For example, think about ways to improve your life, solve problems, or achieve your goals, or identify and challenge negative thoughts and worries.

Make it a time to enjoy and improve yourself, but also use it for downtime and relaxation. For example, you can listen to music, focus on your breathing, and just have fun observing the world around you. One of the great things about walking time, is it's a wonderful way to clear your mind.

As you walk and learn to focus your thoughts in a positive way, you will see the anxiety and stress start to melt away. You will start to see solutions to your problems and begin to feel strong and confident.

Something I do, that you may like to consider, is to keep a small notepad and pen with you. As you think about solutions and ideas, write them down. See what happens.

I think that ultimately, the simple act of walking and using the time to reflect, will not only improve your health and mental well-being; but it will open up new doors and bring you happiness.

Good Luck, and enjoy walking!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.