More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
7 Ways to Mindfully Boost Self-Esteem
By Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D.
May 1, 2009

In an earlier blog on boosting self esteem, I explored one of the fundamental issues we have with feeling self worth and cultivating self acceptance. Underneath it all, I believe there is a fundamental break in our ability to love ourselves. If we are able to accept ourselves as we are and care for ourselves when the inner tyrant raises its voice, our self esteem issues would dissipate. And, I followed this by saying, “easier said than done.” One comment from this blog was about giving some more “nuts and bolts” in relation to boosting self esteem using mindfulness.

For those who are just tuning in, mindfulness is an approach that is about paying attention, on purpose, in a non-judgmental way. So, you might say, “great, so I notice my mind judging myself, I let that be, and then what?” Good question. Some might say, “that’s it, recognize thoughts as thoughts, don’t take them personally, they are just mental events in the mind that come and go, they aren’t facts.” Let’s take it a step further:

Here are a list of 7 things you can do to mindfully boost self-esteem:

1. Write it down - In working with erroneous negative self-judgments, it is a great idea to actually write them down. Writing them down on paper separates them from the emotion and also creates a pause so you can reflect on the meaning of whether this judgment is even accurate or not. We also can come to a place where we don’t have to ruminate about it because we already have it down.
  2. Ask the question - Is this just a well worn habit of my mind to think this way? Do the facts of the situation support this? Are there alternative thoughts here?
  3. Question your mood - Be aware of how you are feeling. Ask yourself, if I were feeling well right now, would I see this the same way? This gets at the heart of thoughts being just transient mental events and not facts. This helps the thought not be quite as sticky.
  4. Question the source - Where did I originally get this message? Sometimes we can look back to our earliest relationships or traumas and notice that where having this thought and attitude helped us cope as children, it is an old coping habit that is no longer effective or helpful right now. Gaining this perspective can support us in letting go of it.
  5. Make a list of what you like about yourself - This may be a difficult one, but after each thought you write down, take a moment with it and notice what it feels like to even write it down. Expand this list by taking anothe perspective. Ask what your friends would say about you? If you have difficulty with this, ask them in person, by phone, email or text.
  6. Create a file - Therese Borchard writes about how her therapist suggested she create a self-esteem file. Each time people say something positive about you, put it in the file. Make it a practice to look at this file daily. To add some mindfulness to it, notice your thoughts, feelings, and physical sensations that arise while writing in the file and also while re-reading it.
  7. Lovingkindness - Many people wish they were well, happy, healthy, free from fear, free from the torment of that inner critic. So add to this list what you wish for yourself and say it like this, “May I be healthy, may I be happy, may I be free from fear, may I be free from my harsh inner critic.” After reading the list over each day, pause, and then intentionally repeat these words and aspirations of lovingkindness to yourself.
Know that this is a practice in loving yourself. Allow yourself to settle into whatever arises for you in this process. When you wander off and don’t stick to this, that is perfectly fine. As soon as you notice that you’ve wandered from the path, you are present and can now invite yourself to start it up again.

Please share your thoughts and comments about self-esteem, self worth, and self acceptance. Your interaction here provides a living wisdom for us all to benefit from.

Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D. is a Clinical Psychologist and conducts a private practice in West Los Angeles. He is co-author of A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger, February 2010)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: 7 Ways to Mindfully Boost Self-Esteem

3 Steps to Boosting Self-Esteem: Mondays Mindful Quote
September 29, 2009

There is a tradition on the Mindfulness and Psychotherapy Blog. Every Monday (or Tuesday in today?s case) I?m going to cite a quote or a poem that is related to mindfulness and psychotherapy in some way and then explore it a bit and how it is relevant to our lives. For me, quotes and poetry can often sink me into a state of greater understanding.
?To be in harmony with the wholeness of things is not to have anxiety over imperfections.? ~ Dogen Zenji
A constant struggle and dissonance with our imperfections may very well be the #1 issue with self-esteem which feeds into greater stress, anxiety and depression.

Yes, you can quote me on that. We all have it and the media feeds it. Some of us were young and felt like we had to be perfect in order to get positive attention or love from your parents. Others became enthralled with the media and airbrushed pictures of models showing us what a ?normal? body looks like. Or maybe it was the billboards and cartoon commercials showing you how happy the children were when they had a particular expensive toy that you didn?t have.

In some way the message is that we?re defective, deficient and imperfect.

The newsflash is that we are ALL imperfect and that is Ok. Dogen Zenji?s quote tells us that to cultivate a sense of harmony, peace and happiness in our lives a path is to create peace with our imperfections.

I just want to clarify that this does not mean become complacent and not make plans to move toward mental and physical health. This simply means to understand that we are all imperfect and to begin practicing kindness, instead of fear and hate, toward your imperfections when they arise. Then you can make a plan to improve things and engage with that plan.

Ok, so practically speaking how do we do this?

1. Acceptance - The first step is to accept the fact that you are imperfect as we all are.
  2. Ants - The automatic negative thoughts (ANTS) may arise ?yes, but I have many more imperfections than most people.? If and/or when this happens, notice that as an automatic habitual thought pattern (because that is what it is), let it be, and bring your attention to this third step.
  3. Re-parenting with kindness - Bring kindness to the moment. Bring your attention to the feeling that is there right now. It is likely a physical feeling that is connected to an emotion. Possibly an emotion of shame, disgust, fear, sadness, or anger. Put your hand where the feeling is and imagine it as a little baby, maybe yourself as a little baby or little boy or girl. Now say to this part of yourself, ?I care about your pain and I love you just the way you are.? Or use whatever words fit for you. You can do this for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. Whatever feels right for you in the moment.
Note: Be aware of any judgments that arise right now, such as ?this is dumb? or ?This is lame, I could never do this.? These automatic negative thoughts (ANTS) are habitual patterns of the mind that have been with you for quite some time. That?s all they are, notice them, and bring attention back to practicing kindness with the pain.

The instructions here may seem simple, but this is not necessarily and easy practice. But it is a practice, sometimes you will be able to do it, others you may not. When you are not able, that is ok, you can always come back to it another time. Notice the thoughts that come tell you that you can?t do it, practiced noticing them just as habitual mind traps and come back to it again when you?re ready.

Try this out for yourself, this is a path toward greater healing and self-esteem.

As always, please share your thoughts, stories, and questions below. Your interactions create a living wisdom for us all to benefit from.

Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D. is a Clinical Psychologist and conducts a private practice in West Los Angeles. He is co-author of A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger, February 2010).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From a blog post on acceptance:
Some of us have not yet developed a particularly firm sense of self: the self-structure is a little fuzzy so to say, not enough informational-conceptual ego. If you are getting easily flooded with emotions, if you happen to recognize yourself in the Borderline Personality Disorder diagnostic criteria, such craving control strategies as self-talk are a bit premature.

...build your (neurotic) self (ego) first before you start arguing with it...

Build Your Self First Before You Argue With It

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.