More threads by David Baxter PhD

Banned

Banned
I actually have a couple other points to make before I start my day, working in a dog dayare, with the Rotties, Pitties, Dobies, and Mastiffs. I'd also like to point out that we have three dogs in our daycare who must be muzzled for aggression - two Labs and a Border Collie. The only two dogs I've kicked for aggression in two years were a Lab and a Golden.

That aside, your question about whether or not I would recommend a Golden or a Pittie is not even a fair question, since you weren't even open to a Pittie to start with, so why ask the question?

Secondly, I didn't say that the studies you cited were flawed, I just said that numerous studies have been flawed.

And finally, back to the original point of this thread, it is entirely unfair to paint an entire breed with the same brush. In Ontario, anything that remotely resembles a Pitbull is euthanized. That is akin to determining which sector of society is most likely to be a serial killer/psychopath, and then euthanizing all those people before they've even committed a crime. It doesn't make sense on any level.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I actually have a couple other points to make before I start my day, working in a dog dayare, with the Rotties, Pitties, Dobies, and Mastiffs. I'd also like to point out that we have three dogs in our daycare who must be muzzled for aggression - two Labs and a Border Collie. The only two dogs I've kicked for aggression in two years were a Lab and a Golden.

Again, I'm not interested in debating "by exception". I am discussing risk, which is never absolute whether it's about dogs or humans. In criminal cases, we can categorize human perpetrators as very low to very high risk ; we're talking about the same concept here with breeds of dogs.

That aside, your question about whether or not I would recommend a Golden or a Pittie is not even a fair question, since you weren't even open to a Pittie to start with, so why ask the question?

It's a general question - I'm not even looking for a dog. If you prefer, take the same question and answer it with respect to a general anonymous family.

Secondly, I didn't say that the studies you cited were flawed, I just said that numerous studies have been flawed.

Then, to paraphrase your words, "why bring it up at all"? I didn't cite flawed studies and the conclusions of those "unflawed studies" are very clear and very definite. I wouldn't intentionally cite a flawed study concluding that certain breeds were high risk for aggression, and i wouldn't be impressed by flawed studies suggesting or concluding the opposite. So let's stick to the studies I cited and you tell me what you think is wrong with those studies and with the conclusion - based on evidence, not opinion.

And finally, back to the original point of this thread, it is entirely unfair to paint an entire breed with the same brush. In Ontario, anything that remotely resembles a Pitbull is euthanized. That is akin to determining which sector of society is most likely to be a serial killer/psychopath, and then euthanizing all those people before they've even committed a crime. It doesn't make sense on any level.

And where did I say that all dogs of these breeds should be euthanized? I don't understand your enthusiasm for arguing against straw dogs, i.e., statements I've never made. What is the point of that? I have made several quite specific statements about risk in this thread. If you wish to address those issues, have at it. Contradicting things I've never said seems pointless in the extreme.

Banned

Banned
I think, at the end of the day, we're going to have to agree to disagree. We could go on the way we are for months, and get nowhere.

I'm waving the white flag.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.