More threads by momof5

momof5

I had been on welbutrin for about 3 months to boost pain meds. However, I found that I was horribly aggitated while taking this medication. I did take myself off of it.

What I am wondering is if this is a normal side effect? Abnormal, such as one in every so many people experience it.

lol, one thing I found while on it, I was able to drop weight easier, darn!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, momof5:

Sorry - somehow I managed to miss this post.

Agitation is a known though realtively rare adverse side-effect with Wellbutrin.

I know you are taking other medications as well and it's possible that there may have been some interaction with other drugs that made the side-effect worse for you.

The other thing you might want to investigate with your doctor, assuming the Wellbutrin was helpful in other respects, is whether you were on the Sustained Release or Extended Release versions - I'm not certain but it may be that these vesions of the drug may be more likely to produce that side-effect in certain people (I know that I've never tolerated extended release or timed release medications well - my system seems to metabolize them all at once!).

momof5

Hi David, no worries on how long to respond as I know there are more important issues in here ;>)

Not only did I have the reaction to that I am also having a reaction to niaspan. This doesn't happen each time I take it though. I don't understand why the difference in reactiosn with this one. I did inform the dr about both at my last visit. I return in about a week so I will bring it up with him again.

I took the niaspan before I went to bed last night and woke up red as a lobster. I did take the asprin which took about an hour for the side effects to go away. Not sure I like the feeling when that happens though, like a bad sunburn, without the tan!

I guess if it happened all doses I would stop taking it,however it only happens every couple of doses. I guess I should log what I take, eat and drink before I take it?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
momof5 said:
I guess I should log what I take, eat and drink before I take it?
That's what I usually recommend - what you eat or drink, what time of day you took the medication, what time of day you took any other medications, and anything else unusual (e.g., did you have a cold, a fever, allergies to pollens acting up that day, etc., etc.) and take all this information along to your doctor.

One of my clients recorded everything in an Excel spreadsheet and took along about 6 pages of data to his doctor...

momof5

Thanks David, I usually take it about dinner time due to having to take it with something to eat.

I didn't eat dinner last night, and had a scop of icecream with it, but I guess that wasn't enough to kill the side effects of it. It can go as far as making my face swell up.

lol, 6 sheets long, that sounds like how mine would be!

Hmm, I'm taking the anti inflam right now for the shoulder etc.. I wonder if that would react with this?

momof5

David Baxter said:
I wouldn't be surprised... those anti-inflammatory drugs are brutal!

They are wicked on my stomach, however I have to get this arm functioing for web design learning. I can't afford after 2 years of learning to have this flare up like this. Most nights I sleep in my recliner right now. lol, I have one choice of a laying position! left side! I dont' want the left impingement to flare up from not being able to lay on left and right side. I highly suspect that surger is going to be needed on this right now. Shocking as the left all along was worse then the right. heh, go figure I swim as I need exercise and this happens!
I will continue to think positive, I will, I will ;>)

momof5

David Baxter said:
I'm just scanning in those exercises now - will be on their way via email shortly.

Thanks David, however, that isn't why I was refering to the shoulder ;>)

I just battle frustrations at times.

Sunday I over slept and didn't take my pain meds at the normal time, and the pain was about a level 100 on a 1-10 scale. And the numbness and tingling in the arms and legs gets to me every now and then.

lol, I told my husband that I would never complain that the meds didn't work anymore though. Sometimes, I just get frustrated and overwhelmed. I can't let my family know though. I have always told them that you can adjust your life, and I guess I have to be an example of that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.