More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
Oh my. I leave for a couple hours and this turns into a discussion about spiders and bats and...well...it frightens me.

BC gets way too much rain for my liking. We might get snow during Stampede and granted we have rattlesnakes, but...it's still cheaper here than in BC and maybe even Ontario now. Pretty soon I'm going to need to be able to bilocate between Calgary and Ottawa so I guess I should learn to love the best of both cities.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
it's still cheaper here than in BC and maybe even Ontario now.

Well, the money goes to a good cause, like making signs that welcome Americans to BC. Without those signs, most Americans would have no idea they just drove north into heaven.

Andy

MVP
Well, the money goes to a good cause, like making signs that welcome Americans to BC. Without those signs, most Americans would have no idea they just drove north into heaven.

That's right. When in doubt just follow the signs.:2thumbs:

Banned

Banned
We're not *really* rat free...we just like other provinces to think we are :D.

But we're tax free, save for that damned GST that was only supposed to be in for five years.

Ya right. I'm still bitter over that one.

Andy

MVP
Of course we are rat free. Maybe the odd one here and there but as far as population, we most definitely are.

Banned

Banned
Er, clearly you missed that article in the paper a couple years ago about some home in SE Calgary that was completely infested with rats. It pretty much made us the laughing stock of the country, since we hold our heads so high about our "rat patrol" and being rat free.

I'm assuming, of course, you're speaking of the rodent kind. I know some two-legged rats, of the homo-sapien variety, and we definitely have a gazillion of them.

Andy

MVP
Er, clearly you didn't read that article either. Those rats were illegally home bred for snake food and then set free when things got to much. If there really was an infestation then there would have been a bigger problem than that as rats are notorious fro reproducing very quickly.

Yes, I can agree that there are definitely some two legged rats here. lol

Banned

Banned
Nah my mom told me what happened. I didn't actually read the article. I was too busy calming her down - she was all in a tizzy about having rats here when we're supposed to be rat free. I told her it wasn't the first batch hanging around out there and likely not the last.

I personally don't have a problem with them. My friend in Ottawa has two pet rets that I play with every time I go. They are actually friendly, smart, and inquisitive.

Andy

MVP
I actually just found the article and it wasn't for snake food it was actually someone raising them for pets not knowing it was illegal. I don't think your mom has to worry about that happening again, it's not likely unless there is another person that does the same thing. There is a $5000 fine or 60 day jail term for having a rat. Yeeesh

I've never seen a rat before but I have a friend who had one that she loved. I think there cute from the pictures I have seen.

Banned

Banned
Silly people...although Calgary has some silly pet laws.

When I first moved here I looked into getting a pot bellied pig. I called Bylaw and they told me I can have anything I want as long as a) nobody complains and b) I get it a license of some sort. I used to walk Jessie along the Bow River starting at Edworthy Park and there was always a couple down there with their llamas. The llamas lived in their back yard, apparently and it was perfectly legal. The Bylaw lady told me of someone else who had a rooster.

They've tightened up the rules - no more llamas or roosters, but I love that you can still have as many dogs and cats as you want. Although one of my former employees was a bit of a hoarder -- she lived in a basement apartment with 18 dogs, six cats, and a whole bunch of things that lived in cages. I don't know much about her cause she worked for me less than two weeks...but that was kind of freakish.

Andy

MVP
There are people that do have chickens/roosters in there backyards. It's been in the news recently actually about making it legal as a lot of people like to have there own fresh eggs. I'm not sure whether the law was passed or not though. It really doesn't surprise me about the llama's though.

That's sad about your former employee. I hope she got help for her illness.

Banned

Banned
Oh my gosh...I had no idea the roosters were still kicking around. They're not in my neighbourhood at least. We get the coyotes and bunnies.

I just realized the time. Not good...considering I'm supposed to be trying to re-regulate my sleep schedule. I just created an online treasure hunt for my staff and told them that if I'm hypomanic often enough we'll do one a week ;)

Right now I'm zonked...and need bed.

Andy

MVP
Hm. Yeah the coyotes and bunnies are all over to. The fish and wildlife or police are always having to shoot coyotes down by Princess Island and in children's parks because people see them all mangey and decide to leave them scraps thinking that they are helping them, when really they are more than likely sealing there fate as they move into the city more for more scraps. :(

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.