More threads by HA

HA

Not sure if anyone is taking Wellbutrin but this issue is quite perplexing. I take Wellbutrin SR 100mg 2x/day. For the last two months I have had to change pharmacies because the supply has run out. This recent month I had called every pharmacy within my area of the city and did find one that had only 30 tabs left. I got them and now am taking just one pill/day as the way to get around this.

Many are also running out of the 150 mg tabs and taking those as an option does not work for me.

Apparently there will not be anymore supplies of these until April.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've heard about this as well, HeartArt. I'm not sure about the reasons for the sudden shortage but people taking Wellbutrin may want to discuss this with their doctors sooner rather than later.

Do you know if the supply of Zyban is also depleted? It's the same medication...

HA

Zyban only comes in 150 mg tabs. There is a generic buproprion which is the same drug as Wellbutrin and Zyban but again it's 150mg tabs.

My doctor has advised me to stop this medication slowly when I am ready, so cutting back is okay with her. I'm not ready to stop it yet though.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not sure what "do not work for me" (150 mg tabs) means, HeartArt, but talk to your doctor... someone else in this situation was advised for now to alternate days to approximate the does. Can you break the 150 mg tabs in half and take 100 mg + 75 mg each day for now?

HA

The 150mg produces tremors and heightened anxiety. That sounds like a possible option. I'll talk with my doctor about it.

I wonder how often these kinds of medication supply problems happen?

One pharmacist suggested that dcotors may be prescribing Wellbutrin for patients who want to quit smoking because Zyabn is not covered under insurance plans. Another suggested that sometimes there is a molecule problem. :confused:

Banned

Banned
This is interesting for sure. I just filled my prescription and thankfully got three months worth, but I'll have to find out if it's an issue in my area. I hope not - it took me a long time to find something that works for me.

I don't understand the world of drugs, but why is the same thing available under two names? Wellbutrin/Zyban. Is it two manufacturers - like Pontiac Sunfire/Chevrolet Cavalier?

Banned

Banned
Maybe it's not specifically prescribed for that as a rule - I know people that have gone on it because it can act as an appetite suppressant, thus helping you lose weight.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.