More threads by beesknees


I have a friend who is dating someone that says they are a Psycholinguist and help children with special needs. But he won't tell her any more about it. What exactly is a psycholinguist, is he likely to have studied in depth psychology? or English ? I can't figure it out. He treats people with stuff like dyspraxia so I thought he would have had some psychology training but he doesn't even seem to know the basic stuff, like the dog thing or that self esteem triangle thing.
Can anyone tell me what he is likely to have studied to become a psycholinguist and whether they deal with mental wellbeing as a part of their clients problems.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Psycholingustics is basically the study of language. I've never heard of anyone being licensed as a psycholinguist - usually people who work with speech and language issues are trained as speech pathologists or something along those lines.

What part of the world is this person in?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
England, I presume?

I'm in Canada and I'm not 100% sure about legislation in other countries. Maybe someone from the UK can help here... I'll see what I can find out.
I'd never heard of it either, but it does seem to be a valid degree, also an area recognised by the BPS & APA.
BA Psycholinguistics
BA Psycholinguistics looks in detail at how we understand utterances that we hear or read, the form in which we store information provided linguistically in our memories, and, in general, the extent to which the study of language can provide insights into the workings of the human mind.
The goal of this course is to find out what a speaker 'knows' when he/she uses a language. The notions of how knowledge about language is acquired and internalised, and how the brain organizes language information, are also considered. Topics include production and comprehension models, parsing, first/second language acquisition models, nature/nurture controversies, case studies of language deprivation, language functions in the brain including localization theory, speech impairment patterns in types of aphasia, and error analysis. Related cognitive theories of learning and processing are also covered. The course also acquaints students with basic experimental methodology used in the study of verbal output.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks, Phoenix. I know there is a field in psychology called psycholinguistics but I'm not sure if anyone licenses "psycholinguists" for remedial or clinical work, as is suggested by the original poster.
Aaahhh, well licencing in itself is a tricky one because you can be a practising counseller without any degree over here. I have searched the BPS (British Psychological Society)'s website and found nothing on licences and even LESS on psycholinguistics.
My question has to do with the boyfriend not wanting to tell his g/f about his job? Is that strange to anyone else?


Since what we do for a living is an integral part of who we are, I do find it a bit odd that someone would choose not to discuss it with those close to them. I'd be inclined to stay leery of someone who won't discuss what he does.
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.