More threads by Retired

Retired

Biofeedback is often referred to a natural alternative remedy for anxiety.

What exactly is involved? Does it require special equipment or apparatus?

Does it require someone to administer or is it a skill one learns to do alone?

Have you ever used biofeedback and what has been your experience with it?

Last edited:
Biofeedback is often referred to a natural alternative remedy for anxiety.

What exactly is involved? Does it require special equipment or apparatus?

Does it require someone to administer or is it a skill one learns to do alone?

Have you ever used biofeedback and what has been your experience with it?

I have had biofeedback. Several years ago I was hospitalized and not on medication. They suggested biofeedback to help with anxiety. I was hooked up with electrodes (I think?) to a machine. I wore headphones. I remember listening to classical music. The lady administering it told me to imagine a river or something peaceful like that.

I liked it the first couple of times I went, but then I started to get really anxious about it. I'm not sure why. I think I felt out of control about it, like I wasn't in control of my body lying there. I felt sick about going back. The interesting thing is that I was actually assertive enough to tell them I didn't want to do it anymore. I was 17 and I think that was maybe one of the first times I told someone NO. So it was good for something.

For me it was mostly anxiety inducing. I have positive stories about it being helpful. I also think it is something you can learn to do?

I think people should try different things and if something works to relieve anxiety then that's great. I think it is something worth trying because it does work for a lot of people.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It can be either. It has declined somewhat in poularity, but at one time you could but small biofeedback devices for home use, complete with instructions. The primary use these days is probably for relaxation but there have been other clinical uses.

The home sets may be useful for people that experiance anxiety as a result of going to the hospital etc. However, i guess that there is a threat that when you have the apparatus at home, you may take it less seriously.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.