More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
301.13 Cyclothymic Disorder

A. For at least 2 years, the presence of numerous periods with hypomanic symptoms (see p. 338) and numerous periods with depressive symptoms that do not meet criteria for a Major Depressive Episode. Note: In children and adolescents, the duration must be at least 1 year.

B. During the above 2-year period (1 year in children and adolescents), the person has not been without the symptoms in Criterion A for more than 2 months at a time.

C. No Major Depressive Episode, Manic Episode, or Mixed Episode has been present during the first 2 years of the disturbance.
Note: After the initial 2 years (1 year in children and adolescents) of Cyclothymic Disorder, there may be superimposed Manic or Mixed Episodes (in which case both Bipolar I Disorder and Cyclothymic Disorder may be diagnosed) or Major Depressive Episodes (in which case both Bipolar II Disorder and Cyclothymic Disorder may be diagnosed).

D. The symptoms in Criterion A are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

E. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

F. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

foghlaim

I must be really "slow" this evening.. :(

can someone explain the above in "English" for me. sme i can understand but well para A just confuses the life outta me!!!

thanks..
nsa

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Cyclothymia is basically a milder or less severe version of bipolar disorder, where the modd swings are not quite as extreme;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclothymia

Cyclothymia is a mild mood disorder which is sometimes seen as more of a personality trait than an illness. Cyclothymia is characterised by repetitive periods of mild depression followed by periods of normal or slightly elevated mood. A percentage of cyclothymics go on to develop full-blown bipolar disorder (normally bipolar II type) at some stage in their lives, while others suffer from forms of depression or other more severe mood disorders.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

a mild bipolar disorder that persists over a long time

Vinton

I was diagnosed in 73 with cyclothemia..but I'm depressed more than hyper. I've been taking effexor for 4 years and to be honest it has not done a thing for me except lower my anxiety

I've been retired since 95 and I realize that I've been like that for as long as I remember and even had suicidal thoughts but 20 years ago I did not know what I do now.

I dont feel like swallowing more AD's and feel numb and gain to 100 lbs.

The other alternative is electroconvulsive therapy and even better the new therapy I read about in the reader's digest in toronto.

I've got a great family and to stick around so I must find a way to get out of this.

Retired

The other alternative is electroconvulsive therapy and even better the new therapy I read about in the reader's digest in Toronto.

Vinton,

It is a big leap from anti depressant medication therapy to ECT. You may want to discuss the benefits and risks with your doctor before pursuing that idea.

However, it is not unusual that one anti depressant compound may not be effective in one person's therapy, or even lose its effectiveness over time.

The usual process is to change to another compound until the right compound is found that works for you.

There's no need to lose hope in finding a successful treatment; it sometimes takes a little time and plenty of patience.

Vinton

I will tell you what happened:

In 1973 I woke up with my right side partially paralized.The local GP told me that it could me a tumor or menengistist .I ended up 800 KM away in the hopital for a bunch of test and when I got out they told me it was just a virus but they told my wife that it was MS and I would find out soon enough.
Out of the hopital I went into depression so bad that I could not walk. No therapy, no medication and no one told me what it was and had to wait till 1982 for a diagnosis.Those years were hell.
After that depression hit me again and I was put on lithium for 4 years. After the psychiatrist changed it to clonazepam (2.5 mgs) . From the on I've spent so much money and time on therapies. In 2000 I decided to get off the clonazepam and I did my last cut 6 months ago but the price was way too much. I cannot describe what I went through and during that period and up to today I rarely talk about it in my house and keep it in.

So 2 weeks ago I started another therapy.

I have a great family .We have two daughters and 5 grandchildren and there are no problems ..

Epival: 750Mg
effexor:150 mgs
Straterra: 100Mg (ADHD)
Also have tourettes.
We are 6 in the family suffering with 2 or 3 of the
above..

Honestly it is a blessing to have this site...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I dont feel like swallowing more AD's and feel numb and gain to 100 lbs.

it is not unusual that one anti depressant compound may not be effective in one person's therapy, or even lose its effectiveness over time. The usual process is to change to another compound until the right compound is found that works for you. There's no need to lose hope in finding a successful treatment; it sometimes takes a little time and plenty of patience.

As Steve notes, sometimes it takes trial and error to find the best medication or mix of medications. You are not "doomed" to gain 100 pounds on antidepressants. Talk to your doctors about both your sense that the Effexor isn't working very well for you and your concern about gaining weight. Most people are able to find medication which works for them without inbtolerable side-effects.

Vinton

For me the worse part of cyclothemia is when:

A close relative tells me:

I told you not to say this..
You always talk too much..
I've told me many time..

After having a group conversation:

What did I say?
Did I say to much..
Heck! I should'nt have said that..

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
For me the worse part of cyclothemia is when:

A close relative tells me:

I told you not to say this..
You always talk too much..
I've told me many time..

Maybe that indicates a problem with the close relative, rather than with you.

After having a group conversation:

What did I say?
Did I say to much..
Heck! I should'nt have said that..

This is where cognitive behavior therapy (cognitive restructuring) can be particularly helpful - to get you out of the negative cycle and help you with reality checking.

BluMac81

My question is, is cyclothymia the version of bipolar disorder where the mood swings happen fairly rapidly several times throughout the day?

What I got from it was it's not as severe as bipolar disorder. and you must have had the described symptoms for one year of ur adolecent/childhood and 1 year as an adult...

...I could be completely off though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it easily confused with bipolar?

I have already been diagnosed with bi polar. type one i think. I'm rapid cycle. I was diagnosed at 15. But taking divalproex sodium makes the swings take longer to hit the manic or depressive state and last much longer. When I was on lithium i was still rapid cycle still, just not as harsh.

Sara-Bella

Is it possible for adolescents to be diagnosed with Cyclothymia, or for it to be 'official' in teens, does it have to be severe? Also, does having an anxiety disorder improve the likelihood of having bipolar, warning symptoms in effect, or developing it later?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Is it possible for adolescents to be diagnosed with Cyclothymia

Yes.

for it to be 'official' in teens, does it have to be severe?

Not any more severe than adults. The difficulty with teens is that their emotional reactions tend to be relatively intense which interferes with the caveat for any diagnosis of "rule out other causes of the symptoms".

Also, does having an anxiety disorder improve the likelihood of having bipolar, warning symptoms in effect, or developing it later?

No. Although individuals with bipolar disorder do often experience anxiety, having an anxiety does not necessarily predispose you to bipolar disorder or cyclothymia. The majority of people with anxiety disorders do not develop bipolar symptoms.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.