More threads by Always Changing

what is procrastination really all about?

To be sure I knew what procrastination meant I went looking for an explanation here on Psychlinks, I couldn't find it so I googled it and found the above.

and yes it does mean what I thought it meant, Putting doing something off essentially.

If the above article\site is helpful to anyone then cool, if not please feel free to remove it. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Outside of the Internet, David Burns' "Feeling Good" books also cover procrastination.

Something else from one of the many books on procrastination:

"The Procrastinator’s Code"

One of the reasons that procrastinators have such a difficult time changing their ways is that they operate under unrealistic assumptions that only perpetuate their delaying. These notions are deeply cherished and tenaciously held, in spite of their creating repeated frustration. We have called them The Procrastinator's Code.

• I must be perfect.
  • Everything I do should go easily and without effort.
  • It's safer to do nothing than to take a risk and fail.
  • I should have no limitations.
  • If it's not done right, it's not worth doing at all.
  • I must avoid being challenged.
  • If I succeed, someone will get hurt.
  • If I do well this time, I must always do well.
  • Following someone else's rules means I'm giving in and I'm not in control.
  • I can't afford to let go of anything or anyone.
  • If I expose my real self, people won't like me.
  • There is a right answer, and I'll wait until I find it.

From: Procrastination - Why You Do It, What to Do About It by Burka, Jane B. and Yuen, Lenora M. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1983, p. 16.

bigben70

Just awesome! Thanks for the post Daniel! So many people think that procrastination is just laziness or unwillingness to cooperate (or just poor work ethic). It comes from these maladaptive beliefs - and a subsequent need to control things, by NOT letting them happen. My mom (OCD, smother-mother, controlling, hoarder) is FAMOUS for being what they call a "wet blanket". You use all of your energy getting her to the party and then she shows and up has the most fun and the best time. Why does it have to be so DIFFICULT?!? ha ha.

Thanks for the post. Very enlightening!:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.