More threads by WishMaster

Hi to all Members,

I have a simple question to ask u all, what do u best describes the word " HAPPINESS" ? Im still asking myself that question since 20 yrs....

Its it when u live like a Prince or Princess with all the facilities around u, is it when u drive the latest Ferrari car that you are happy? Or is it when u did something good like helping someone and u feel happy about what u did?

If someone trust you, accept you as you are, care for you, have someone near you ready to support u, that can be describes as Happiness as well? What's your opinions on that?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Wish Master

jeffrey

Happiness can be a state of mind that creates a certain emotional response,you could pick up a dictionary to find the definition of happiness,this could help.Happiness though is infinate in it`s meaning,like love...what you have to do is to think about what makes you happy,what makes you laugh what makes you feel contented what makes you react in a positive way to the world around you,happiness is everywhere.What could make you happy could make someone else feel sad,it`s a very personal thing...for sure there are things that make us all feel happy that are the same but to look deeper, if that is what you are looking for, then you have to look within yourself for only you have the answres to your own happiness!

angelo

I agree with sister, then happiness is to love and being loved. Materialism makes content and gives an excited feeling, but does not make really happy.
Love in general conducts to happiness, to hold someone in your arms and care about, to believe in yourself and accept love and help from outside puts you close to happiness. It would be nice to have more often these feelings ...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
There are interesting phrases in romantic comedies like "I don't need a man/woman to make me happy." Like Jeffrey was saying, there are many different ways to experience happiness, such as from hobbies, sports, work, spirituality, friendships, etc.

Hello Sister,

Thanks for you reply, glad to hear from u....i agree with u that hapiness is love, when u r not in love u r not happy and especially if u love someone and that person don't love u back....

May be we can share our opinions on love in its all aspect and i'll be glad to have ur views. Keep me posting

take care
have a nice week
Wish Master

Diana

I think that true happiness is acheived when you truly love yourself. Everything else on the outside can give you moments (long/short) of happiness. Loving someone, and having someone love you might make you happy more often. However, some people who experience sadness and depression regularly have spouses and family members who love them. People who are shown much love might be able to internalize it, and have an easier time finding their love for themselves. However, I think that ultimate happiness comes from the inside.

Diana

I think that true happiness is acheived when you truly love yourself. Everything else on the outside can give you moments (long/short) of happiness. Loving someone, and having someone love you might make you happy more often. However, some people who experience sadness and depression regularly have spouses and family members who love them. People who are shown much love might be able to internalize it, and have an easier time finding their love for themselves. However, I think that ultimate happiness comes from the inside.

hugsy

i agree that happiness comes from the inside. and that it is very personal. if you know what is important to you, when you experience it (whatever it is), it gives you happiness. love is often said to make people happy, i think it does because we all want to be loved and to give love in return. it's a human thing.
also, it depends where you are in life. if you don't have the basic necessities(food, shelter, etc.), what makes you happy is having them. if you already have the basic necessities, then you focus on what else could make you happy. i think we're always striving for more. and i think part of the happiness we experience is in the striving. if we're stuck and not doing much, we become unhappy.

hugsy

i agree that happiness comes from the inside. and that it is very personal. if you know what is important to you, when you experience it (whatever it is), it gives you happiness. love is often said to make people happy, i think it does because we all want to be loved and to give love in return. it's a human thing.
also, it depends where you are in life. if you don't have the basic necessities(food, shelter, etc.), what makes you happy is having them. if you already have the basic necessities, then you focus on what else could make you happy. i think we're always striving for more. and i think part of the happiness we experience is in the striving. if we're stuck and not doing much, we become unhappy.

I don't really believe in a state of happiness. i think we can have happy moments, but I don't think it lasts. A sense of peace inside is what I would like to have. I think that would enable me to enjoy those happy moments and live through the hard times as well.

I don't really believe in a state of happiness. i think we can have happy moments, but I don't think it lasts. A sense of peace inside is what I would like to have. I think that would enable me to enjoy those happy moments and live through the hard times as well.

Diana

That's interesting janetr, because a sense of peace inside is what I think I was talking about. I guess it depends on how you define the word "happiness". Your "sense of peace inside" was kind of my definition of happiness. I understand what you mean about being able to enjoy the happy moments more, and perhaps being able to recognize them more easily when they do come along? And I also understand what you mean about being able to cope with the hard times - accepting that these bad experiences happen, learning from them and then letting them go. An inner peace, love and acceptance of yourself is what I was talking about when I meant "ultimate happiness". I think we have kind of the same idea, but we're defining the word happiness in different ways. Maybe your definition is better. I haven't looked up "happiness" in the dictionary yet.

Diana

That's interesting janetr, because a sense of peace inside is what I think I was talking about. I guess it depends on how you define the word "happiness". Your "sense of peace inside" was kind of my definition of happiness. I understand what you mean about being able to enjoy the happy moments more, and perhaps being able to recognize them more easily when they do come along? And I also understand what you mean about being able to cope with the hard times - accepting that these bad experiences happen, learning from them and then letting them go. An inner peace, love and acceptance of yourself is what I was talking about when I meant "ultimate happiness". I think we have kind of the same idea, but we're defining the word happiness in different ways. Maybe your definition is better. I haven't looked up "happiness" in the dictionary yet.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Happiness is being owned by cats

Happiness is the best medicine

Happiness is camping (ewww... bugs...)

Happiness is quotes:

Albert Camus:
When you have once seen the glow of happiness on the face of a beloved person, you know that a man can have no vocation but to awaken that light on the faces surrounding him; and you are torn by the thought of the unhappiness and night you cast, by the mere fact of living, in the hearts you encounter.

Albert Camus:
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Albert Schweitzer:
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

Allan K. Chalmers:
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Anne Frank:
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

Buddha:
Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others.

Edith Wharton:
If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time.

George Burns:
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.

George Sand:
There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.

HH the Dalai Lama:
Consider the following. We humans are social beings. We come into the world as the result of others' actions. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from others' activities. For this reason it is hardly surprising that most of our happiness arises in the context of our relationships with others.

HH the Dalai Lama:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

HH the Dalai Lama:
When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.

Helen Keller:
Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves.

Helen Keller:
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller:
Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.

James M. Barrie:
Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.

John Barrymore:
Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open.

Mark Twain:
Happiness is a Swedish sunset -- it is there for all, but most of us look the other way and lose it.

Mohandas K. Gandhi:
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Nathaniel Hawthorne:
Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.

Theodor Fontane:
Happiness, it seems to me, consists of two things: first, in being where you belong, and second -- and best -- in comfortably going through everyday life, that is, having had a good night's sleep and not being hurt by new shoes.

Thich Nhat Hanh:
Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Happiness is being owned by cats

Happiness is the best medicine

Happiness is camping (ewww... bugs...)

Happiness is quotes:

Albert Camus:
When you have once seen the glow of happiness on the face of a beloved person, you know that a man can have no vocation but to awaken that light on the faces surrounding him; and you are torn by the thought of the unhappiness and night you cast, by the mere fact of living, in the hearts you encounter.

Albert Camus:
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Albert Schweitzer:
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

Allan K. Chalmers:
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Anne Frank:
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

Buddha:
Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others.

Edith Wharton:
If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time.

George Burns:
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.

George Sand:
There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.

HH the Dalai Lama:
Consider the following. We humans are social beings. We come into the world as the result of others' actions. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from others' activities. For this reason it is hardly surprising that most of our happiness arises in the context of our relationships with others.

HH the Dalai Lama:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

HH the Dalai Lama:
When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.

Helen Keller:
Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves.

Helen Keller:
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller:
Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.

James M. Barrie:
Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.

John Barrymore:
Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open.

Mark Twain:
Happiness is a Swedish sunset -- it is there for all, but most of us look the other way and lose it.

Mohandas K. Gandhi:
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Nathaniel Hawthorne:
Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.

Theodor Fontane:
Happiness, it seems to me, consists of two things: first, in being where you belong, and second -- and best -- in comfortably going through everyday life, that is, having had a good night's sleep and not being hurt by new shoes.

Thich Nhat Hanh:
Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.