More threads by Retired

Retired

What is Schizophrenia?
National Institute of Mental Health

Schizophrenia is a severe, lifelong brain disorder. People who have it may hear voices, see things that aren't there or believe that others are reading or controlling their minds. In men, symptoms usually start in the late teens and early 20s. They include hallucinations, or seeing things, and delusions such as hearing voices. For women, they start in the mid-20s to early 30s. Other symptoms include:
  • Unusual thoughts or perceptions
  • Disorders of movement
  • Difficulty speaking and expressing emotion
  • Problems with attention, memory and organization
Behaviors that are early warning signs of schizophrenia include:
  • Hearing or seeing something that isn?t there
  • A constant feeling of being watched
  • Peculiar or nonsensical way of speaking or writing
  • Strange body positioning
  • Feeling indifferent to very important situations
  • Deterioration of academic or work performance
  • A change in personal hygiene and appearance
  • A change in personality
  • Increasing withdrawal from social situations
  • Irrational, angry or fearful response to loved ones
  • Inability to sleep or concentrate
  • Inappropriate or bizarre behavior
  • Extreme preoccupation with religion or the occult
No one is sure what causes schizophrenia, but your genetic makeup and brain chemistry probably play a role. Medicines can relieve many of the symptoms, but it can take several tries before you find the right drug. You can reduce relapses by staying on your medicine for as long as your doctor recommends. With treatment, many people improve enough to lead satisfying lives.

National Institute of Mental Health has prepared a comprehensive brochure on schizophrenia. You can view or download a :acrobat:PDF copy (25 page(s), 233 KBs) from the attachment to this post.

Information from NIMH is available in multiple formats. You can browse online, download documents in PDF, and order paper brochures through the mail.

Click HERE for more ways to get NIMH information or other forms of this brochure

Attachments

• schizophrenia-booket---2006.pdf
    233.3 KB · Views: 16

SilentNinja

The early warning signs really scare me.. i can relate to 9 or so of them, but i guess some could come under Schizotypal as well?

Andy

MVP
The early warning signs really scare me.. i can relate to 9 or so of them, but i guess some could come under Schizotypal as well?

You may relate to a lot of the warning signs which can relate to schizotypal but I think there are certain degrees. Schizophrenics experiencing things severely.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Of course, none of these symptoms, including psychotic symptoms, are unique to schizophrenia. Psychosis can be caused by depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, drug use, etc.

For example, the prevalance of schizophrenia is one percent while the number of people who have experienced hallucinations is much, much higher:

One study from as early as 1894[2] reported that approximately 10% of the population experienced hallucinations. A 1996-1999 survey of over 13,000 people[3] reported a much higher figure, with almost 39% of people reporting hallucinatory experiences, 27% of which were daytime hallucinations, mostly outside the context of illness or drug use. From this survey, olfactory (smell) and gustatory (taste) hallucinations seem the most common in the general population.

Hallucination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.