More threads by Darkside

I am not asking for a diagnosis. Just some insight -- an objective opinion from a third-party.

I'll try to make this short, but I have to give some background. I suspect that both of my parents had NPD to some degree. Sometimes a thing is known by the fruits, and I would say all three children, myself included, are a mess. My brother committed suicide 15 years ago and my sister is estranged from most of the family. (my brother was the golden boy - a title I inherited after he died, and my sister is the scapegoat) I have been divorced twice and have trouble with intimate relationships.

My father passed away 8 years ago, and my mother is 92. She has slowly developed dementia over the past few years which landed her in assisted living when she couldn't take care of herself and I couldn't do it full time.

She has, for most of her life, had a very close friend whose husband has also passed away. They have traveled and socialized together for years. When my mother first started showing obvious signs of dementia this woman would call 3 - 4 times a day ... sometimes as late as 9 pm when I was trying to get my mother settled and asleep. (at the time I was fixing her meals and making sure she took her medicine) She would insist on talking to my mother right that minute regardless of how many times she had called during the day. Finally, one night I had had enough and told her she had to call back the next day. She then started telling me that I was the cause of my mother's illness and that she was fine before I came into the picture. I hung up on her.

After my mother went to Assisted Living this woman came to visit her. Within a matter of weeks she had moved into the same facility. This is a pattern that repeated all their lives. She is very competitive with my mother. Many years ago we planned a family ski trip with another family - not this woman's family. When this woman found out she packed up her family and showed up at the same place. (We got there Friday night and she arrived Saturday morning.)

A couple of weeks ago my mother had a bad fall which resulted in a broken hip. She had surgery and had to go skilled nursing for physical therapy before she could try to go back to her apartment. This woman friend has called every single member of the family trying to find out about mom. She knows where she is because she went to visit her, but she still calls everyone. Several of my cousins have stopped returning her calls so she has taken to calling my mother's two younger sisters. Somehow she got my cellphone number and on Christmas Eve she started calling me. She didn't just call once and leave a message. She called me 4 or 5 times in the span of about 90 minutes demanding that I call her back because she was "worried." It was something I didn't want to do and in retrospect I probably should have just ignored her -- but I didn't.

So when I called her back I simply said, "I've gotten your messages and I was calling to tell you that mom is okay but will be in physical therapy for a few more weeks." She immediately said, "that's NOT what I heard."

That was enough to send me over the edge. I never raised my voice, but I said very firmly, "I don't care what you may have heard I am telling you what I know and am willing to tell you." She didn't accept that either and went on about what other people had told her. Finally, she starts telling me that my mother has to keep paying for her apartment even if she is not living there and it is expensive ...

I told her I knew what needed to be done and that I paid my mother's bills and that none of that was any of her damn business. Of course, she accused me of being rude and rather than escalate any further I told her goodbye and hung up. Now I am beginning to think that all this woman wanted was some information to gossip about and to find out if she could have my mother's apartment. Her apartment is very small and she has "lusted" after my mother's apartment since mom has been there because of its size and location.

I've never liked this woman, but I am just wondering if my personal feelings are skewing my judgment and maybe she is just worried about her friend, or if maybe my intuition is right and she has an ulterior motive? In the past, she has always made things to be about her and has used people to get what she wanted. She cannot stand for someone to have something she doesn't have (see above) and has no qualms about giving her opinion to anyone whether they want to hear it or not.

She has my phone number now and if she starts calling me to find out about my mother I may have to change the number even though I use it for business. (It is a cellphone number so she could not have looked it up in a directory so I am pretty certain she conned one of my aunts into giving her my number.)

What sort of person acts like this and why does it upset me so much?

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
She does sound like a snoopy old gossip. Most people in the assisted living facility will know that or won't care. Maybe now that you recognize her for who and what she is, she will lose the power to push your buttons - consider the source solution. The bottom line is you can't change her behaviour but you can change your response to her and you can set boundaries. And if she calls you rude - oh well she calls you rude.
Can you block a number on a cell phone?

Darkside, depending on what type of cell phone you have you might be able to either download an app of some sort to block that number she calls from (or all the numbers she calls from), or block all blocked calls. If you are okay about blocking blocked calls or private numbers, you can sometimes do that with a feature that may or may not be included on your cell phone account.

Her behaviour would drive me up a wall, so that's what I would do. You can also block specific numbers from your landline phone if you call your landline phone provider (or at least most landline companies can do that).

Hope that at least solves part of the problem. I agree with rdw; that woman that calls you all the time may not have a lot of anything else to fill her time, either, so that probably doesn't help matters any.

If people call you rude because you set appropriate boundaries and tell the truth, well, that's tough for them. If they don't know how to respect your boundaries, just avoid the heck outta them. It's best for you in a situation like this, don't you agree? 8P

She does sound like a snoopy old gossip. Most people in the assisted living facility will know that or won't care. Maybe now that you recognize her for who and what she is, she will lose the power to push your buttons - consider the source solution. The bottom line is you can't change her behaviour but you can change your response to her and you can set boundaries. And if she calls you rude - oh well she calls you rude.
Can you block a number on a cell phone?

Yes. I can block her private number in her apartment, but I can't block the phone in the common area because it is connected to the office phone and the staff would not be able to call me.

There's more than just a snoopy old gossip at work here. Looking back I think I handled it okay, but I could have chewed nails for several hours after that conversation. This woman knows no boundaries and she is obscenely flagrant about it.

---------- Post Merged at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Darkside, depending on what type of cell phone you have you might be able to either download an app of some sort to block that number she calls from (or all the numbers she calls from), or block all blocked calls. If you are okay about blocking blocked calls or private numbers, you can sometimes do that with a feature that may or may not be included on your cell phone account.

Her behaviour would drive me up a wall, so that's what I would do. You can also block specific numbers from your landline phone if you call your landline phone provider (or at least most landline companies can do that).

Hope that at least solves part of the problem. I agree with rdw; that woman that calls you all the time may not have a lot of anything else to fill her time, either, so that probably doesn't help matters any.

If people call you rude because you set appropriate boundaries and tell the truth, well, that's tough for them. If they don't know how to respect your boundaries, just avoid the heck outta them. It's best for you in a situation like this, don't you agree? 8P

Yeah ... I've let this woman get under my skin ... but you'd have to know her. She would make the Dalai Lama run down the street pulling his hair and screaming. :eek:mg:

She's actually a simpleton ... not very smart. When I told my mother what she said last spring, (that I was causing my mother's dementia) my mother said, "oh, that's just _______." "She is just worried about me and she means well."

I almost fell on the floor when my own mother said that. She actually prefers her friend to her own family and that hurts too.

Sorry ... I'm venting now. But thanks for listening.

Timber

I have to agree that she sounds like a snoopy gossiper, considering she stressed what you said is not what she heard. What it sounds like is her way of getting attention and feeling as if she belongs through her self-perceived sense of importance of knowing what is happening. Could be narcissism or simply, loneliness (her way of saying, "Hi! I'm here! See me?! What do I need to do to get your attention?").

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.