More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What Movies And Therapy Have In Common
Psychology Today blog: Reel Therapy
by Jeremy Clyman

How successful therapy can be going to the movies

In my last post I suggested that the treatment approach implemented by reality-television star Dr. Drew was flawed. Since it is all too frequent and problematic in our culture to critique things from afar without offering better alternatives, I've decided to write a follow up post about more effective psychological treatment.

Problematically, the jurisdiction of this blog is cinema. More to the point, the world of psychological treatment modalities is fractured. There is a dizzying array of choices when it comes to solving a mental malady. My solution is to discuss a narrative-based, modality-unifying treatment. I call it narrative psychology.

First, a quick caveat: narrative psychology is a term that has already been patented in the field. There are two divisions in the world of clinical psychology, researchers of mental illness and curers of mental illness. In research, narrative psychology exists as a body of literature in which the stories people tell about themselves are inspected, systematically coded for prominent themes and telling characteristics and, if all goes well, used as a springboard for theoretically sound inferences about mental health and illness. This is passive exploration. I propose a new, different version of narrative psychology that is much more active and treatment-oriented. It has to do with the types of stories people learn to tell about themselves in therapy with the therapist acting as, shall we say, ghostwriter.

Let's look at the implicit process of therapy for a moment. Often, in a last-ditch effort to cope with a life derailed, a patient enters therapy and initiates a process of telling his/her life story. The therapist listens. In the beginning this process is complicated by the blurred line between fact and fiction. On top of innate self-delusions and unconscious defenses built into the fabric of the human mind, patients may purposefully distort the facts of their lives for all sorts of understandable and silly reasons. As consistencies begin to arise over time, an incoherent story that began in mid-sentence turns into a clear but, in all likelihood, unhealthy narrative.

Successful therapy, I would postulate, is the conversion process from an unhealthy to healthy life narrative. The therapy consultation room is a place where a life story can be inspected, edited, retold and, ultimately, changed. A clinical psychologist is trained in the science of identifying various plot points that indicate mental illness. He or she is also trained in the art of transforming these internal villains into heroes, that is, mentally healthy tendencies. It is further logical to assume that a successful therapist knows what a mentally healthy individual would strive to do in any given situation. This is important because a parallel story, this mentally healthy version of life, must begin to emerge so that the glaring differences between this story and the patient's unhealthy story can be exposed. These gaps become treatment targets to zoom in on and tweak.

This is hard. To do this well you must be able to take what the patient is saying and do the following: accurately decipher what is being said while also grasping what is remaining unsaid or implied. Next, you must predict what is going through the patient's mind so that you can know where the story (a.k.a target behavior, enduring, problematic pattern, pretty much anything self-destructive) is likely to go. At this point you want to jump ahead of the patient. There are many reasons for this, a prominent one being that one's life narrative is, at times, a particular pattern of thoughts/emotions/actions that are problematic and re-enacted, over and over again. So, you want to jump ahead and help the patient to understand the likely list of options that lay ahead of him/her, the different plausible "endings" to this particular chapter of life. You want to present to the patient that path he/she is most likely to choose. Predict the wrong path and you've lost credibility, but select a path that resonates and the opportunity to tell a different, healthier "ending" before its happens has arisen. Knowing how to write this new, different and happier "next step" involves a few steps, namely, to help the patient to understand and accept that his/her narrative of the past is different from the desired narrative. This is quite a wound. Once healed, a subsequent step is quite often to teach the patient the skills to go out and enact a healthier, future narrative. There are myriad strategies, tools and tips to help empower the patient to this end. As the patient begins to live out the healthy narrative, I believe, everything else falls into place. Unaddressed symptoms disintegrate and what once felt like a foreign and coached narrative becomes authentic.

If this is starting to seem a little out there I understand. After all, I'm comparing a rich and reputable science like clinical psychology to a fantasy-based, artistic process like cinema. To save my dignity I feel obligated to try and connect this theory to the facts -- the research and wisdom underlying effective psychotherapy. The Big Three treatment approaches in the field are known as behaviorally-based, cognitively-based and psycho-dynamically-based theories. What are these approaches and how are they different from each other? In a nutshell, behavior therapy is learning to perform healthy behaviors, cognitive therapy is learning to formulate healthy thoughts and psychodynamic therapy is gaining insight into oneself. Thus, if viewed from a slightly different angle, these approaches are interventions designed to act out a healthy life story, tell oneself a healthy life story and understand why the healthy life story has stalled.

Where do movies come into all this? Well, obviously all movies are stories and, with proper judgment, many movies that reflect healthy life narratives can be identified. Recall that a healthy life narrative is that which a mentally healthy person might strive towards in any given situation. Are compelling characters in inspiring movies not mirror images of this? Movies reflect the inner worlds of certain people, real or imagined, that are projected onto the screen and into the viewer's mind. Mental Health movies, I propose, can be thought of as the projected aspirations of mentally healthy individuals. I would wager large sums of money that the main characters in Mental Health movies display all of the attributes of mental health, that is, they are likely to have positive self-perceptions, optimistic and open social interactions, clear and logical thought processes, effective coping abilities and high emotional intelligence. These are also the end goals of successful therapy. Further, the skills needed for optimal functioning in all of these areas are the tools utilized by the therapeutic process.

Let's take a concrete example - Dr. Drew. In his sex addiction show, a group of celebrities have entered treatment. We know two things about them: they are unhappy with their lives and they feel convinced that their sexual behavior is a root cause. Whether or not sex addiction is really the problem is a post for another day, but what can be discussed in this context is whether a healthy or unhealthy narrative about sex is being articulated.

As I see it, sex is highlighted as the primary treatment issue. To do it or to think about doing it is wrong. This is why all of the patients must remain celibate. They are told sex addiction is the result of an imbalanced brain, that any and all feelings of despair are withdrawal symptoms connected to the addiction. This seems to have left many of the patients more confused and distressed than ever. Dr. Drew implicitly shapes a story about how unhealthy sex is bad and should never happen. But there is no story about what healthy sex looks like and how it can be attained! A story unfolds about how the lives lived by these patients has been unhealthy up until now. But there is no story about how to go out and live a healthy life!

Related articles:

Related books:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The Power of a Storied Life: A Belated Tribute to Michael White
Psychology Today blog: The Healing Arts
by Cathy Malchiodi
June 5, 2008

Are we the sum total of the stories of our lives? And do we become the stories we choose to embrace? These are age-old questions -- and Michael White’s vision helped us all to find hope and health in the storied life.

There are two people, gone too soon from this life, I think of every week as I sit with clients in therapy. One is Shirley Riley, a family art therapist, mentor, and incomparable friend. The other is Michael White, social worker and family therapist who died on April 4, 2008, and who developed a form of therapeutic storytelling that is now known as narrative therapy. Shirley introduced me to the work of Michael White; a number of years later, I introduced Shirley to Michael White when I was fortunate enough to interview him and observe his work with families.

Michael White and Shirley Riley both understood the power of people’s stories to heal. With David Epston, White developed a now well-known storytelling technique in their seminal 1990 book, Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends, a form of treatment that has since become known as narrative therapy. Narrative therapy is based in part on having individuals tell or write stories and metaphors that essentially externalize a problem situation and reevaluate it, usually from its potential for positive change.

In using storytelling, White was more interested in the ways people construct meaning in their lives than just with how they communicate their problem behaviors. He embraced the idea that stories actually shape our behaviors and our lives and that we actually become the stories we tell about ourselves. Thus there are helpful stories we can choose to embrace as well as unhelpful ones. Riley’s work as a family art therapist eventually infused art making with White's narrative approaches, integrating the importance of sensory experiences within the process of narrative work with families and adolescents.

What has consistently impressed me about White is how he masterfully used the power of storytelling to elevate the person in treatment rather than the therapist as expert. In essence, the person is the authority on his or her story. That sounds so obvious, but psychotherapy still struggles with defining people as their pathologies; I believe that is where the healing arts—art, music, movement, play, and storytelling—have a place in changing the predominant paradigm.

Stories are, of course, the basis for all verbal psychotherapies. But they are much more than that. Storytelling—whether through essays, poems, or letters—not only has a therapeutic power, it is also defines the human spirit, stimulates the imagination, and preserves the cultural heritage of the world’s peoples. Throughout his life’s work, White was tenaciously persistent in envisioning the use of narrative therapy and inspirational in helping people to narrate the best in themselves, restoring hope and health through storied lives.

Cathy Malchiodi is an art therapist, visual artist, independent scholar, and author of 13 books on arts therapies, including The Art Therapy Sourcebook.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Editing Away Depression
Psychology Today blog: Don't Be Swayed
By Rom Brafman, Ph.D.

When the Chernobyl nuclear disaster happened in 1986, the tragedy made headlines in all Western newspapers. But the Soviet press buried the story in the back pages. In fact, your entire perception of the world during the Cold War would have been markedly different if you had received your news from an American newspaper or a Soviet publication. But it's not just capitalism versus communism. Even today a story that makes the headlines in one newspaper can receive little fanfare in another. When it comes down to it, the editors--whomever they might be--get to decide what information makes for important news and how the story is conveyed. And because this selection process has a subjective element to it, it's impossible to get 100% objective news. The editor's own bias slips through, no matter how scrupulous he or she might be.

What's really interesting to me is the way each of us edits our own personal "newspaper." We have all this information that keeps streaming into our lives, in the form of feelings and thoughts and ideas. Some of these informational pieces are pretty ordinary and usually get burried in the back pages: "I can't believe the summer is almost over;" "I need to water the plants;" "What was the name of my third grade teacher? It's on the tip of my tongue..."

Other, more pressing information, might get brief headline status: "Whoa, my credit card statement is almost overdue;" "I'm really excited about the date I have lined up for this weekend."

Although headlines shift quite regularly, on occasion, if something major happens, e.g. "Sweet, I just got a promotion at work!!" the headline sticks around longer and has more of an effect on us.

But when a person gets depressed, something different happens. The entire process is turned upside down. It's as if the regular editorial personnel gets fired and replaced with a totally new team with completely different notions of what makes a headline. The first thing that happens is that the headline becomes very negative in substance and very general in scope. An ordinary enough headline (e.g. "Time to change the car battery") gets pushed to the back, and taking its place are a new line of headlines: "Life feels like crap;" "I don't have any energy anymore;" "Things will always be this way." The thing about these type of headlines is that they make you feel pretty helpless and hopeless, they suck all the energy away, and they're so general in scope that it's difficult to challenge them. For example, it's easy enough to say, "Maybe I'll have my friend help me change the car battery instead." But it's a lot tougher to come back and retort, "No, my life is actually pretty meaningful if I stop to think about it."

To further explore this metaphor, you see the same shift on a national level when a country is hit by a disaster, whether a financial one or surprise violent attack. All the other stories get pushed to the back, the entire mood shifts, and day after day the headlines deal with the same subject matter. But as a country, at least we go through it together. Each of us felt the pain after the attacks of 9/11, but it was also comforting to know that we were going through it as a nation. I remember that for two weeks after 9/11 I didn't feel productive, but no one expected me to be. It was understandable. I didn't have to explain myself or to feel bad about it. My headline of sadness and lack of energy matched what everyone around me was feeling.

But when someone feels depressed--and all of a sudden their personal headlines become negative and catastrophic--it feels very isolating. These are your personal headlines. There's no national event that you can point to.

And, to make matters even more complicated, unlike the normal rotation of our mental "newspaper" headlines, depression headlines stick around for a long time. So much so, that it often feels like they're going to be there forever. These headlines are so extreme that they're always wrong in their conclusion: An otherwise innocuous event (e.g. "I forgot to pay my electric bill on time") takes on catastrophic proportions (e.g. "I can never do anything right.") Another commonality I've seen with these types of "headlines" is that they're of a self-blaming nature and they often have an underlying component of guilt.

As a therapist, I see my role, to use the metaphor I've employed here, as restoring the "real" editorial team into place. I don't usually talk about it using the headlines metaphor, but it's a very good way of understanding how depression takes over a person and what can be done about it. As a therapist I try to restore the rightful team, the original core or "true self" into place. But I can't just argue with my client. I can't say, "You know what, your 'headlines' are all wrong. I disagree with your perception." Then I'm just using force to try to get my way.

But because the headlines are extreme in their stance, I can start by challenging their content, using actual examples from my client's life: "You say that nothing's going right in your life, and I know that you feel that way, but the way you describe your relationship with your friends, it sounds like you're there for them and they're there for you. I'm getting the sense that it's really important for you."

Depressed people don't give themselves enough credit. They perceive themselves in such negative terms that they simply forget about their good attributes. A lot of times this process ends up in a debate. I argue for what I believe is a more balanced and accurate view, and my client feels I'm being overly kind and optimistic. But to me, I'm just calling them as I see them. And if I can show my client that the headline is not accurate, if I can challenge the headlines--over and over again-- then I can start to use "evidence" from my client's life to disprove the headlines.

But the question still remains: Where did the new editorial team that came up with the depression headlines come from? Who are these 'new reporters'? And in my experience they're always internalized voices from the past. Something that my parents used to say, or a teacher repeated. So if my dad was a nice man but when he got upset he'd call me "selfish" and then a couple of my teachers also repeated that, and my last ex broke up with me and blamed me for not being caring enough, then the headline, "I'm self-centered and cruel" can take over. It's these type of messages, that get internalized, balloon, and then get plastered as absolutes. Even though logically I may know that these statements are too extreme and inaccurate, they feel like they're accurate descriptors. And that's why it's so hard to shake them off.

In a way, I think this is true for all of us--as it is true for any newspaper--we all have times when some extreme headlines that are not fully accurate creep up. But when there's a barrage of them, if I'm going through a rough time and they pop up, it's a lot more difficult to deal with them and restore order. It then becomes easier to buy into the headlines and this is what leads to depression. But the good thing, and that's what I've learned from doing therapy, is that just as a headline can gain durability, it can also get shaken. And the space of therapy helps the restoration process. Of course, a good therapy-client team is not the only way to overcome depression, but I think what tragically happens is that most people who feel depressed try going at it alone, and that makes it a lot more difficult. The unfortunate thing about depression is that when you're in it, it's really difficult to believe that it's possible to combat it. I often find myself reminiscing with clients:

"If I had told you two months ago, when we first started working together, that you'd be feeling differently in three months' time, that you'd be feeling the way you're feeling today, what would you have said?"

"I would've said that's impossible. I would've said that you're crazy."

Rom Brafman, Ph.D. is the co-author of Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Counselling Approaches - CBT - SFT - Narrative Therapy

Narrative Therapy involves the telling and exploring of our stories. When we are suffering, our concept of ourselves and our lives becomes narrowed. If our world becomes “smaller” we tend to feel isolated and ineffective. We quite literally become the problem. Narrative Therapy seeks to explore our stories in order to open up and view who we are as a whole, not just the problem. Strengths are highlighted and brought to light. Narrative Therapy is also political. The greater impact of society and how it affects us is assessed. This form of therapy views the “problem” as outside of ourselves and assists those in taking back their power to positively affect their lives...

Psychology: CBT vs Narrative Therapy

Some CBT techniques draw on narrative therapy, such as the eliciting of patients’ thoughts, which is done by allowing the patient to tell their story, allowing the therapist to visualise their thought processes (Leahy, 2003). Thought challenging, errors of logic and cognitive distortions are techniques very similar to the narrative technique of re-authoring, where the therapist offers an alternative take on the patient’s story, in an effort to enable the patient to view their position in a different light (Lieblich, McAdams & Josselson, 2004). These CBT techniques are different from the narrative technique of philosophical counselling, as the latter normally involves the patient having to read something and think on it to find a meaningful worldview (Lieblich, McAdams & Josselson, 2004). Another technique in CBT, emotional processing, is similar to narrative therapy in that the patient is allowed to sit and tell a story of their emotions which the counsellor then assists them to see in a different way (Lieblich, McAdams & Josselson, 2004), thus bringing about cognitive changes (Leahy, 2003). Use of alternative positive schemas (Leahy, 2003) is yet another instance of a technique in CBT where aspects of narrative therapy are present, as the therapist suggests alternatives modes of thinking abut a situation.

The behavioural techniques in CBT have some similarities to techniques used in narrative therapy such as letter writing (White, 2007) but in general are quite different in that they are more prescriptive therapies that are often to be done by the patient as homework (Leahy, 2003). Also, while narrative therapy aims to bring about behaviour changes by letting a patient observe alternative stories and behaviours that will better suit them, CBT aims to bring about behaviour change by methods of training a patient into positive cognitive and behavioural patterns. And while homework is a dominant feature of CBT (Caballo, 1998), it is not a fixed technique in narrative therapy, and different therapists use it or not according to the needs of their patients...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Twelve Things You Were Not Taught in School About Creative Thinking | Psychology Today

You do not see things as they are; you see them as you are.
Interpret your own experiences. All experiences are neutral. They have no meaning. You give them meaning by the way you choose to interpret them. If you are a priest, you see evidence of God everywhere. If you are an atheist, you see the absence of God everywhere. IBM observed that no one in the world had a personal computer. IBM interpreted this to mean there was no market. College dropouts, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, looked at the same absence of personal computers and saw a massive opportunity. Once Thomas Edison was approached by an assistant while working on the filament for the light bulb. The assistant asked Edison why he didn't give up. "After all," he said, "you have failed 5000 times." Edison looked at him and told him that he didn't understand what the assistant meant by failure, because, Edison said, "I have discovered 5000 things that don't work." You construct your own reality by how you choose to interpret your experiences.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

From the very last part of the video:

Stories effectively are who we are...But ultimately, what is a story? It's a contradiction. Everything's a contradiction. The universe is a contradiction. And all of us are constantly looking for harmony. When you get up, the night and day is a contradiction. But you get up at 4 a.m. That first blush of blue is where the night and day are trying to find harmony with each other. Harmony is the notes that Mozart didn't give you, but somehow the contradiction of his notes suggest that. All contradictions of his notes suggest the harmony. It's the effect of looking for harmony in the contradiction that exists in a poet's mind, a contradiction that exists in a storyteller's mind. In a storyteller's mind, it's a contradiction of moralities. In a poet's mind, it's a conflict of words, in the universe's mind, between day and night. In the mind of a man and a woman, we're looking constantly at the contradiction between male and female, we're looking for harmony within each other.

The whole idea of contradiction, but the acceptance of contradiction is the telling of a story, not the resolution. The problem with a lot of the storytelling in Hollywood and many films, and as [unclear] was saying in his, that we try to resolve the contradiction. Harmony is not resolution. Harmony is the suggestion of a thing that is much larger than resolution. Harmony is the suggestion of something that is embracing and universal and of eternity and of the moment. Resolution is something that is far more limited. It is finite; harmony is infinite. So that storytelling, like all other contradictions in the universe, is looking for harmony and infinity in moral resolutions, resolving one, but letting another go, letting another go and creating a question that is really important.

Shekhar Kapur: We are the stories we tell ourselves | Video on TED.com

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“The consolation of fairy-stories, the joy of the happy ending; or more correctly of the good catastrophe, the sudden joyous "turn" (for there is no true end to any fairy-tale): this joy, which is one of the things which fairy-stories can produce supremely well, is not essentially "escapist," nor "fugitive." In its fairy-tale -- or otherworld -- setting, it is a sudden and miraculous grace: never to be counted on to recur. It does not deny the existence of dyscatastrophe, of sorrow and failure: the possibility of these is necessary to the joy of deliverance; it denies (in the face of much evidence, if you will) universal final defeat and in so far is evangelium, giving a fleeting glimpse of Joy, Joy beyond the walls of the world, poignant as grief.”

~ J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy-Stories

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic."

~ Carl Jung, General Aspects of Dream Psychology (1928)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How Aging Shapes Narrative Identity

One piece of research I read recently suggested as we get older the connection between the amygdala (which gets activated in strongly negative emotional situations) and the hippocampus (which sort of notes that the amygdala is firing and makes a memory out of it) degrade a little bit. Therefore, the tendency to create memories about negative events is lessened.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0963721413475622?journalCode=cdpa

Narrative identity is a person's internalized and evolving life story, integrating the reconstructed past and imagined future to provide life with some degree of unity and purpose...

When it comes to the narration of suffering, then, self-exploration often produces lessons learned and insights gained, enriching a person's life in the long run. Nonetheless, narrators should not go on so long and so obsessively as to slide into rumination, for good stories need to have satisfactory endings...

Attachments

• 0963721413475622.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
TED.com: How Your Personal Narrative Limits Your Future
October 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27B6dBwiYQ

We all love to tell personal stories of adversity and triumph, but how do they prepare us to navigate an unpredictable future? Entrepreneur Andrew Peek believes that our life stories limit us. "Are we wrapped in the warmth of the story we've been writing for decades? The further we are into a story, the less likely we are to want to rewrite it." In this talk, Peek suggests that we "let go of what should be for what is" and allow ourselves to grow without self-imposed constraints.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
NOMADLAND | Official Trailer | Searchlight Pictures - YouTube

Following the economic collapse of a company town in rural Nevada, Fern (Frances McDormand) packs her van and sets off on the road exploring a life outside of conventional society as a modern-day nomad. The third feature film from director Chloé Zhao, NOMADLAND features real nomads Linda May, Swankie and Bob Wells as Fern’s mentors and comrades in her exploration through the vast landscape of the American West.

---------

Film Review | Hollywood Reporter

Like Zhao's earlier work, Nomadland is an unassuming film, its aptly meandering, unhurried non-narrative layering impressions rather than building a story with the standard markers. But the cumulative effect of its many quiet, seemingly inconsequential encounters and moments of solitary contemplation is a unique portrait of outsider existence.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Or experience the movie by having a "classic" RV in the hope-you-have-a-good-radiator Southwest! :D

After I moved to Arizona, the first car repair was replacing the radiator :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Undesired inner movie => negative belief => undesired feeling => undesired behavior => further undesired feelings

Wholesome inner movie => healthy beliefs => desired feelings

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.