More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You can eat whatever you want. I asked the question because for someone who hasn’t even tried them you seem very critical about them and almost defensively so.

I haven’t tried one yet either but I might one of these days. The inescapable reality is that beef farming contributes a great deal to various aspects of climate change and environmental pollution. I no longer eat much beef for that reason as well as health reasons. If there was a tasty alternative to beef hamburgers, which I admit I do like, I might very well make the switch, budget permitting.

Not trying to be holier than thou here. I just think there are many good reasons to reduce beef consumption and most of the arguments I’ve seen against them, other than personal preference, really aren’t supported by the evidence.

GaryQ

MVP
I do eat fake fish... had some for supper
Captain Highliner’s catch of the wherever fish sticks come from

Cows are also great for the environment they prevent the ozone layer from getting so thick we would not get any warmth from the sun :D

Also a great tasting self propelled lawnmower that runs on organic fuel doesn’t run on fossil fuel plus free fertilizer keeps people off your lawn.

Have to look at the positives too and not just just listen to the tree huggers :coffee:

GaryQ

MVP
Didn't see your last post David till after my previous reply which was for Daniel.

i have nothing against them or any other form of food. What I object to is cow bashing as if it was the root of all evil to promote another product as the savior of the planet. Plus from what I hear (haven't bothered to check though) the energy consumed to process this expensive alternative is quite high and energy consumption = not much better for the environment. All of it is just marketing to make people pay more for a product.

Nature has a process for everything. Lightning causes forest fires since the beginning of time as a natural cleansing method. Otherwise the forest gets too dense vegetation starts dying off and wildlife Saw a cool episode on it think it was on The Nature of Things

Grass will grow and die and decomposition will occur constantly regardless. And will ha e the same greenhouse effect as matter décomposes it emits gases wether it's through a cows consumption or by natural cycle.

Humans will continue to ravage and pillage our planet out of pure personal greed. Anybody in any business is in it as he/she has seen an opportunity to get rich. Nobody starts a business for altruistic goals they will pretend they do as it's the best and cheapest marketing ploy. It's the basic nature of business. Every sector that makes its living off competing against another sector or enterprise will bash the other for no other purpose than personal gain. And the beauty of economics 101 is "How much profit margin can I get Away with making and how do I go about achieving that goal"

The fake beef market cannot exist, grow or thrive financially without attacking its natural competitor. Cows aren't as bad for the environment as they are for these businesses profit margins.

Ironically its the bullsh*t that industry and its believers peddle regarding real beef that tics me off not the product.

7 billion people producing greenhouses gases consuming any product is already at the tipping point the Earth can handle. So what next? We do like China did? One child per family where little baby girls were simply abandoned or killed so the family could have a son. Or do we go to the extreme and blame modern medicine and say it is now the latest cause?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For Mexican food, I do prefer what Taco Bell is doing -- keeping the faith with beans instead of adding ultra-processed fake meats (unlike a rival chain, Del Taco).

I was shocked to see Taco Bell recently had a commercial for their newest vegetarian product, the Black Bean Cruchwrap. I tried it today (the "fresco" version), and it was pretty good, especially with their taco sauce.

Taco Bell Does Not Plan to Use Fake Meat From Beyond Meat or Impossible Foods - Eater

Taco Bell, which is the only American Vegetarian Association-certified fast-food chain in the country, boasts a relatively vegetarian-friendly menu, thanks in part to flexible personalization options. According to a company blog post, approximately nine percent of all items ordered at Taco Bell are either vegetarian or made vegetarian by customization, accounting for the sale of 350 million vegetarian items a year. The bean burrito - consisting of refried beans, cheese, onions, and red sauce in a tortilla - is Taco Bell's no. 2 best-selling item, CNBC reports.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There isn't a Taco Bell near me but I have had bean-and-cheese burritos and they're quite good.

They are opening a new Taco-Burrito place near me (walking distance). :up:

GaryQ

MVP
Reminds me... I used to make huge fajitas regularly and don’t recall making any in probably 4 years or so. I’d get the big jug of no name salsa at SuperStore. Not the president’s choice it’s more expensive and not as good although Old ElPaso is really hard to beat. And the Pace brand I don’t like at all. Also hard to get Old El Paso salsa hère in anything other than sample size.

Have to put that on my list.

GaryQ

MVP
Reminds me... I used to make huge fajitas regularly and don’t recall making any in probably 4 years or so. I’d get the big jug of no name salsa at SuperStore. Not the president’s choice it’s more expensive and not as good although Old ElPaso is really hard to beat. And the Pace brand I don’t like at all. Also hard to get Old El Paso salsa hère in anything other than sample size.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Reminds me... I used to make huge fajitas regularly and don't recall making any in probably 4 years or so. I'd get the big jug of no name salsa at SuperStore. Not the president's choice it's more expensive and not as good although Old ElPaso is really hard to beat. And the Pace brand I don't like at all. Also hard to get Old El Paso salsa hère in anything other than sample size.

Here they sell the most popular salsa brand in Mexico called Herdez, but it's nothing special in my book among the other jarred salsas. I like the Walmart-brand salsas just as much, especially the restaurant/cantina style.

Also, a lot of the smaller fast-food (super casual) Mexican restaurant chains here all have a chip and salsa bar. So you can order a tostada or taco on the cheap and load it up with different salsas. Of course, they make up for it by selling fountain drinks at regular prices :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.