More threads by David Baxter PhD

GaryQ

MVP
One of my (non vegetarian) mates has tried an Impossible burger and vouches that it tastes exactly the same as a regular beef patty. I'm not going to go out of my way to try one though.

DITTO and DOUBLE DITTO :D
I'll go one step further and go out of my way to avoid eating one :rofl:

Any idea what the price was compared to the regular burger?

GaryQ

MVP
@Daniel you have lots of land,

Plus you like eating veggies a lot... why not have a huge garden.

Make your own fresh salad "a la carte" during season... If the Stuff can grow in Canada I'm sure it and more grows easily in your area. You shouldn't need to spend a penny on veggies. And then start indoor hydroponic gardening at outdoor harvest time (it's not just good for growing weed) PLUS it heats the house stabilizes dry areas and with a heat exchanger saves all the heat from the bulbs. food for you and your pets for pennies on the dollar. And if you aren't growing weed you don't need 1000 sq feet of space not to mention all the unnecessary odor eliminating carbon filters and equipment. Lettuce grows on a Styrofoam float in an aquarium faster than you can eat it

If I had a house I'd be raising hares for meat. lean meat and cheaper and easier to raise than chickens... not to mention the smell is nothing compared to raising chickens. You can even have em running around the house till they're ready for supper. Only problem is skinning them is a b*tch until you get a lot of practice.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Plus you like eating veggies a lot... why not have a huge garden.

I'm in a desert mountain area. I tried to grow tomatoes a few months ago. Didn't get one tomato.

indoor hydroponic gardening

Thanks, but I'll just buy the relatively cheap produce we get from Mexico :)

all the heat from the bulbs.

Sounds like a pontenial electical fire hazard. Already had a house fire a few years ago in one room of the house. Cost the insurance company $5,000.

not to mention the smell is nothing compared to raising chickens

Of course, it's the factory chicken coops that really smell since they are not really cleaned. Pine bedding pellets normally sold for horse stalls also keeps things fresh and dry in the coops.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My brother used to have chickens in the back garden in England. I don't recall there being any nasty odors at all.

On the other hand I used to drive by a chicken farm in Ottawa South on my waty to work and it smelled as bad as a pig farm. Nasty.

I think it comes down to space and chicken population density and how the poultry is managed, as Daniel said.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
If I had a house I'd be raising hares for meat

You wouldn't even have to raise them here. They are everywhere, including people's gardens :D

Years from now, after our chickens die out (since we aren't getting anymore), we have considered growing things in the coops, which would also keep the rabbits away.

GaryQ

MVP
The only annoying problem with setting smares to catch wabbits is when you catch one and a fox or other thief says “thanks for catching him for me” and the work is someone else’s supper. And they learn very fast where your trap lines (and your catch is) in no time. It’s a race against time to see who get it first.

when you raise them for food you control the quality of the taste also. And fr what I reads it’s more work slowing down the multiplication than anything else have to keep the males separate or you have rabbits to feed the town before you know it.

I can’t believe you were not able to grow tomatoes though. If the soil is bad you put them in pails or better yet make a raised bed garden.

Hydroponics gardening is as safe as anything depends on the Gardener. Like anything else common sense and no hillbilly wiring You don’t use a Christmas lights extension cord to plug in a power tool or a 1000w light or heater

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
One of my (non vegetarian) mates has tried an Impossible burger and vouches that it tastes exactly the same as a regular beef patty. I'm not going to go out of my way to try one though.
Your mate is right. I usually put extra ketchup but did not this time. Tasted too much like meat that way. My husband says he can tell the difference but says it is a close difference.

GaryQ

MVP
Now try and keep in mind “tastes almost like a food chain beef pattty” which is nothing to write home about.

Its already full of filler. Sure the beef part of the patty is pure beef but the rest is pure filler. Ground beef tastes like ground beef. Slight variations possible depending on a few factors but very little unless your grinding up the prime cuts which would be prohibitively expensive for food chain burgers. Heck even for store bought grade AAA. So if they all sold pure beef patties, a Wendy’s, A&W, Harvey’s, McDonald’s or Burger King patty would all taste pretty much the same. The difference in taste is in the filler.

So comparing fake beef with fake beef should taste the same :lol:

Grab a pound of real lean ground beef, shape and press them cook those babies as I did yesterday and don’t burn the darn poor things and I’m pretty sure if a food chain patty doesn’t taste anything like it then the fake burger won’t come close to it either.

i love Harvey’s burgers because they taste different than the other chains and you get to put what you want in it. NOT because it tastes like a real burger. Heck it don’t taste anything close to real beef.

Point being, comparing fake with fake should taste the same: “fake”

Like what’s her name sang: “BEEF, nothing compares, nothing compares to you!” :D

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
One of the differences is if you press down on the fake meat with your fingers. Even with all the "ultra" processing, the Impossible burger mushes down instead of springing back up. I noticed the difference with the cheeseburger patty I got for the dogs.

GaryQ

MVP
I noticed the difference with the cheeseburger patty I got for the dogs.

You must have really docile dogs (probably all those meds you have them on lol)

if i was your dog and you gave me a fake patty I’d a bitten you so bad :dogrun:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I got real cheeseburgers as part of a Impossible Whopper family meal deal. Since most of the people who buy Impossible Whoppers are meat eaters, you can customize deals to mix real with fake.

BTW, the dog who was on Prozac seemed to mellow out with age so she is no longer on it. They still get trazodone for some nail trims or if we are both gone longer than usual.

0bd174aa792673d7344f2acc0650d68f-1.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
if i was your dog and you gave me a fake patty I’d a bitten you so bad :dogrun:

A lot of dogs are not picky and will eat almost anything, even broccoli. But a diet heavy in veggies or dairy can change the pH of their urine, leading to UTIs, crystals, etc.

GaryQ

MVP
With all due respect Dr. B...
Why the heck would I do that?

Im not the "gotta try" this or that type of guy.Plus I have no problem or guilt eating meat. I'm mostly a carnivore although i have cut red meat consumption substantially but more for health and financial reasons. Just too bloody expensive. Chicken is healthier and cheaper and there's so many different meals you can make with it.

Used to be a "Steak and potatoes" guy. Steak too expensive and too far from PEI and New Brunswick and there may be great things about the prairies but potatoes sure ain't one of them. They don't last long I wasn't a big fan of rice growing up out east but here rice is better. Which was really hard to get used to the lack of PEI potatoes but it's a lot healthier even if parboiled rice is as far as I will go. No wild or other rice for me.

Also don't get me wrong I have nothing against it. People can eat what they want and where they want and spend as much as they want eating is life itself. I do like having fun about it like many other subjects especially TOFU when it was the grand granola thing years back. Tofu hotdogs and hamburgers. Enjoy it! But if you think it tastes like the REAL thing there's something wrong with your taste buds.

Only time I get really serious about food and get ticked off for real is when people try and tell me what I can and cannot eat. I don't tell people they can't eat grass and birdseeds... so don't tell me I can't eat real meat cause then I get a little defensive. Kind of like someone trying to take a bone from a junkyard dog... best not go there :D

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1. They have more salt to help you stay hydrated in Winnipeg when Slurpees are not close by.

2. Better for the environment though so is a Coke and fries.

3. Processed foods help the economy.

:D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.