More threads by Ashley-Kate

Hello,

I was wondering, when are you really recovered? When do you know that when you restrict it is not a danger for you and it is simply because you are an average person that is just simply not that hungry. How do you explain to you family and friends that you are no longer ill and they can back off? When will you look in the mirror and see "YOU" and not the distortion of the eating disorder?

I am having a bit of a hard time. I am still eating, probably not enough yet, but I have forced myself to keep eating every day in spite of the restricting that has started. My roommates have expressed their worry and I can't seem to understand it completely. I know i am not eating well but I am eating. I am still healthy. I am in control and I feel pretty happy... okay, I may not be completely in control... I feel good though, better than I have in a very long time. I work full time. I have friends now and I have a social life. I do activities with people. I am finally not always alone at home doing nothing.

Yet i don't know how to combine all that with eating more. I am scared that if I eat more than I will be as miserable as I was before. I just can't wait to get out of this whole thing!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ashley-Kate said:
I am scared that if I eat more than I will be as miserable as I was before.

It seems to me this is the key. When you no longer have this fear, when you no longer have to think and worry about food, you'll be recovered. Until then, as irritating as it must be for you sometimes, your friends and family will continue to worry about you, watch you, and ask questions. Be guided by them and their concerns. When you are truly eating normally, the questions will stop. :)

Hi Ashley-Kate it is great to hear you are doing so much better. This is great news. Use your friends and parents as guides to let you know how you are doing they sometime see what we miss. As Doctor Baxter has said when you no longer have the fear that rules you then you will realize you have truly taken control and have been healed. take care.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.