More threads by Cat Dancer

I got a notice stating that my number of visits has exceeded my approved number of visits for therapy. I'm wondering if this is set in stone with the insurance company? What could happen next? I have to quit therapy?

I'm just wondering with the mental health parity law passed (supposedly), if mental health visits will be treated the same as regular doctor visits, as needed. If that makes any sense.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The best way to answer that question would be to contact your insurance company and check with your therapist. In some cases, I believe the therapist or doctor can request additional sessions.

I'd like to call my therapist tomorrow and see if it's still ok to come in for my next three scheduled sessions.

The weird thing is that I feel like I don't even care about any of it. I'm just in a blah mode. It's a little scary though because normally something like this would totally set off my anxiety and I would panic. Now I'm not sure if I care at all.

ladylore

Account Closed
If your feeling that you don't care - its been my experience that that is the time you may really need to call your therapist, even as just a check-in. By doing something, even just making a phone call can sometimes turn a depression around so it doesn't sink in.

Don't give up Janet because you are doing a great job and you deserve the best life has to offer. :) :)

sunset

My insurance ran out, which is why I now need to wait till January to see him again... Call your insurance company before you are stuck with a really huge bill.

Rosa

Hi Janet.
Its been a long time.....I think it depends on your diagnosis. If you can get your therapist to change your diagnosis you might be covered. I know for me I'm diagnosised with Major Depressive Disorder and as such my insurance carrier is not allowed to limit the number of visits I have each year.
Hope this helps
Rosa

Peanut

Janet, I realize you posted this a little bit ago and maybe you already figured it out, but I was told by a medical biller that if they can show medical necessity (which they usually can if you're on medication) then they can request and be granted more visits beyond what is stated as the maximum. It probably varies by insurance but this was for a major company in the states. Anyway, I hope you get it figured out and I TOTALLY agree with the person who said to figure it out BEFORE you go in instead of getting stuck with a massive bill. You will have to let us know what you find out.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.