More threads by Jesse910

I've been working with my therapist for several years. It's taken me a long time to feel comfortable with her because I have a difficult time trusting women even though I am one. For the most part, I am comfortable with her and have gained a lot of wisdom from her that has enabled me to move past depression and the pitfalls of bipolar towards a balanced and stable lifestyle. Yet, throughout the years I have seen her, I have never given her complete access to me. There's always a part of me that I hold back.

Last week, out of the blue, she asked for my home address. While that is an innocuous question, I balked at it. It was as though she had invaded my turf and robbed me of all that was sacred. She has my office, home and cell phone numbers and my postal address. She reminded me that I had given her grief when I first started seeing her over the same thing. Her retort was that she would not see me unless she had the information. And, while I continued to ask why she needed it, the only thing she would say was that she needed it for her records.

I moved a few months ago and this is what prompted her request. A very long time ago, I was in a crisis state and my phone rang. It was a close friend of mind. When I told her what I had done, she immediately called the paramedics, who showed up. Because I was able to articulate my thoughts and sounded halfway decent, I was able to get the paramedics to leave. Unbeknown to me, my mother had also been called by this friend and she had keys to my apartment at the time and she intervened and I was taken to the hospital. For that reason, I have never trusted friends, family, or therapist in a crisis.

What I wanted from this current therapist was a guarantee that she would never call the police if something went wrong. Her comment was that she was there to protect me, my husband and my child. I felt betrayed and stonewalled her for the remainder of the session. My therapist prior to the one I have now was willing to make that promise to me as long as I promised to call him first. I kept my agreement with him because he trusted me to keep mine.

When I asked my husband for his thoughts on possible termination of treatment, he asked me how long had I been thinking about it. And, I told him since last Thursday when she made me mad. He stated that that wasn't a valid reason to terminate. Then, he asked whether or not, I would seek another therapist, and I told him, "no." He told me that I needed to deal with the situation.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is causing me so much turmoil. I should be able to handle this and move on. I became very defensive with this woman (which is uncharacteristic of me). I told her that I would never call her if I was in a real crisis; and if something happened to me, I would never leave a note. Additionally, I would never be in a place where she could find me. Am I wrong to want a measure of control over my life? In my professional life, I am a very take-charge person and not accustomed to submitting to another woman's authority under almost any set of circumstances. I'm not being reasonable and I admit that. How can I see this in a different light? Thank you.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Jesse, first, your therapist is correct. She is legally required to keep certain records, which would include your contact information. Office address is optional; home address and telephone normally is not.

Second, no reputable therapist is going to give you "a guarantee that she would never call the police if something went wrong". She has a legal, moral, and ethical duty to do what she can to prevent harm to self or others, and if she feels that you are in a state where you represent a significant threat of imminent harm to yourself or another person she is required by law to report that or to take whatever steps are open to her to prevent it.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Jesse,

I'm sorry you feel so unsafe with your therapist. You mention in your post not trusting her to not intervene in a moment of crisis. Is this the only reason that you don't trust her? Or, is there something else about her that makes you feel uneasy?

My only concern is whether or not you can get the real benefit of therapy if you distrust your therapist. This is the one person that you really need to trust, the one person that you need to know will want to protect you. While I understand your feeling of intrusion in her wanting to protect you, or rather, your need to be in control of situations, it seems to me that it's actually a really good sign that she does want to support you in that way...I'm just trying to offer you another way to look at this situation.

In addition to her having a legal obligation to have your address, it sounds as though she genuinely cares about your well-being. I hope that you'll give her a fair chance. My temptation, in your situation, would be to have a full discussion about your post here, explaining to her why it is that you feel that sense of intrusion. She may be able to put you at ease, to provide you with a rationale whereby you don't have to distrust her so much?

Domo

Inactive
Good post jazzey, i agree.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to take your relationship with her to the next level. That way you can get the most out of your therapy.

Or otherwise, perhaps it's time to move on to a new therapist.

All the best with whatever you deceide :)

Hi Jazzy:

I needed to consider your message before I was able to respond. Thank you for capturing what I could not say to myself. The closer someone is to me, the more unsafe I feel. It would not matter if it was a close friend, stranger, or a relative. The fact that this person is my therapist makes it doubly scary because she "knows" me in ways that I do not fully know myself. Although, I do know a great deal. In this particular instance, I was uncomfortable with my response to her question. While I understand the legality of the situation that David Baxter so firmly reminded me of, his words didn't take into consideration my fears of the past few days. And, that's okay.

You raised the concern of me not trusting my therapist to intervene in a moment of crisis. You're correct. I'm a very private person. Dealing with turmoil is something that I need to do in private and not with someone hovering or taking notes. I think it has to do with the tight rein that I have kept over my life out of fear. Once I can figure out what's going on with me, then I can try to articulate my feelings. Then, I feel that I can benefit from wise counsel as I partner with that therapist in an objective way to resolve my problems. I work hard not to be emotional because then I'm on display. Last, my therapist's question came out of left field even though it was a very appropriate question to ask. I reacted in a manner that was contrary to my personality. And, I don't know why I did that. That's why I'm here.

My therapist is a great person. She gets me. She is well aware of my inability to trust women and to feel safe with her and women at large. That knowledge keeps me on the defensive at times with her. She gives me a great deal of latitude and space when necessary because she knows that eventually, I'll come around. I'm striving to work with this, but it's a process that I recognize takes time. I recognize that I don't trust myself with closeness.

And, yes, I can benefit greatly from continuing to work with her. I believe therapy is an intrusive process and that's part of my fear. I don't think that I want to be protected so much as understood and valued as a person who's trying very hard not to rely upon anyone. And, I know that my last sentence is out of whack, but it's what I feel. Yes, it is a good sign that she cares for me and I respect and value that. I just want to be strong. I have fought the stigma and problems with being bipolar for a very long time. And, I have sustained myself with very minimal medical intervention and/or supervision over the years. The early days of the illness was a different story.

I see my therapist again this week. I'm not ready to start over with a new person. So, I will have to have the conversation with my therapist and figure out where we go from here. Thank you very much for responding to my post. You provided me with questions to consider.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Wow..In this last post Jesse, I think you may have captured what many of us feel. That sense of intrusion into our personal realms. The fear of what the therapist will see or discover, items that we not be yet ready to face ourselves.

I'm happy to hear that you will stay with her Jesse. It's obvious that you've given this a lot of thought and that makes me very happy - it shows that you are on the right path here.

Thank you for your eloquent and thoughtful response.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
While I understand the legality of the situation that David Baxter so firmly reminded me of, his words didn't take into consideration my fears of the past few days.

Jesse, my intent was not to dismiss your feelings. Rather, it was simply to point out that your therapist doesn't have as much choice in the matter as one might think. She has to answer to the laws of the land and her licensing body.

I understand David. Perhaps you can answer a question for me. If I share my secrets with someone I'm suppose to trust is it fair to want them to have my back? Because if and when something goes wrong, i.e. I get really depressed and feel like giving up and I call the therapist, I don't want to have to worry about that person ratting me out to law enforcements and/or medical personnel who will treat me like a criminal instead of a human being who is going through a tough time and just needs to be able to process her feelings privately. [While law enforcement has never been called, I have had horrendous medical personnel who treated me like crap] I think I just figured out what's been bothering me: the fear that she will ostracize me and betray me in a manner that I will find intolerable. And, I don't know how to get past this fear.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Jesse, your therapist also has a legal and ethical responsibility to protect your confidentiality.

As I state on my client intake form, there are only three conditions under which I cannot guarantee confidentiality:

1. If I receive credible information suggesting recent or ongoing child abuse, or significant risk of harm to a child, I have a mandatory obligation to report that.
  2. If I receive information at any time suggesting a significant risk of imminent harm to self or others, I must take whatever steps I can to prevent that. Doing so may mean that I have to breach confidentiality but only to the extent that I prevent harm to self or others (i.e., that doesn't give a therapist the right to divulge all your confidential information, but even releasing your name as a client would otherwise be a breach of confidentiality).
  3. If there is an approaching or ongoing court proceeding and a subpoena is issued for your clinical records, I have no authority to refuse to comply with that subpoena.
Other than those specific conditions, no information about you can be released without your written/signed authority.

David, thanks for reminding me of a therapist's parameters. That helps me process things a tad clearer. And, thanks again Jazzy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.