More threads by David Baxter PhD

Peter

MVP
... of 16 years of age, I built my own computer from an electronics kit. It had a memory capacity of 64KB. I cannot remember the other specifications. The whole thing was built from scratch. That is, components were soldered onto a circuit board. The TV was the screen. The best it could do was to be a digital typewriter. If you had a Daisy-wheel printer, you could write letters, and the most popular game at that time was Dungeons and Dragons. This was before virtual Ping-Pong. The game was text driven - no graphics what so ever. Other electronic nerds, of similar ilk, would chat on the Citizen Band radios, discussing their latest adventures of Dungeons and Dragons. The funny thing was, we all had similar mental images of the game.
The reason for this post is that David’s posted thumbnail image reminded me of a circuit board.

Peter

MVP
...I would spend time in the kitchen talking to my mother, or grandmother, while peeling potatoes and pea-pods. I would eat the occasional pea when no-one was watching. Mother knew, but I never ate more than a few, even when I was hungry. Today, peas come in a tin.

Attachments

• boy-in-straw-hat-flicking-pea-into-his-mouth. painting by Howard Scott.jpg
    boy-in-straw-hat-flicking-pea-into-his-mouth. painting by Howard Scott.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3

Peter

MVP
...sending a love letter to the other side of the planet took ages.

Attachments

• little_boy_writing_a_letter-large.Painted by Norman Rockwell.jpg
    little_boy_writing_a_letter-large.Painted by Norman Rockwell.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3
  • draft_lens19398081module158811107photo_1335615566---.jpg
    draft_lens19398081module158811107photo_1335615566---.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4

Peter

MVP
...carpentry required more hand skills than today.

Attachments

• 0808-0711-0913-4019.jpg
    0808-0711-0913-4019.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1196097564dTc80M.jpg
    1196097564dTc80M.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
I think i was the last generation who came of age knowing the outernet. When I was in high school there were "mallrats", teens like me who hung out at the mall because it was the place to be. Until I was about 14-15 only nerds went "online" using dialup modems and connecting to bbs's. Then around grade ten people started talking of this worldwide web. I remember it took about five minutes to load one picture. So my high school days started in the age of the outernet and ended at the dawn of the internet age, or at least the beginning of when it really took off. There was no texting then however, and the only kids who had cellphones were either rich or involved in shady business.

Banned

Banned
I remember typing class in grade 9. We weren't allowed to use white out if we made a mistake, and our school didn't even have a computer yet. Our first home computer was a Commodore 64 when I was around grade 9 or 10. Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm *that* old, but I guess I am lol.

Peter

MVP
... Well, as a younger man during 1991. I was walking home along a footpath when I came across a disturbing scene. A lone man was walking towards me, speaking aloud and waving one of his hands. His other hand was against the side of his face. He looked clearly distressed. I was wondering what to do if he requested my assistance. As we got a few yards from each other, I realized he was on one of those new mobile phone units. I thought ?what is this world coming to? What next, Dick Tracy watch-phones?? ---YEP!

Attachments

• 8455.jpg
    8455.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
I experienced the same feeling when bluetooth earpieces came out. I would see people seemingly having in-depth conversations with themselves. Not even a hand to the side of their head. It was only when they turned and I saw the earpiece that I realized they were having a phone conversation! :rolleyes:

Banned

Banned
I remember my first car phone. It was this monstrous thing that sat on the seat beside me and plugged into the cigarette lighter. It couldn't go much further cause it had a cord attached! I thought I was pretty hot stuff with my new car phone haha.

Retired

bluetooth earpieces c.... people seemingly having in-depth conversations with themselves. Not even a hand to the side of their head

Can we expect the next step to include an embedded chip in our brain, that would enable continuous, and direct connectivity to one another?

That way, as I see it, we would be able to have those same conversations, but eliminating that annoying and tiresome step of vocal speech and communicating only with our thoughts to one another.

Can we expect the next step to include an embedded chip in our brain, that would enable continuous, and direct connectivity to one another?

That way, as I see it, we would be able to have those same conversations, but eliminating that annoying and tiresome step of vocal speech and communicating only with our thoughts to one another.

We are the borg. Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

Peter

MVP
Steve. I don't know about thought transference, besides telepathy. Sounds a bit scary! My internal 'censor' works more consciously than subconsciously. I would hate to think what messages would leak-out, uncensored, the way I think sometimes. Actually, I can easily imagine the traffic jam of thoughts leaking out from everybody. I am sure I have over a thousand times as many thoughts than I have spoken.

Peter

MVP
... I would give flattened pennies to my girlfriends.

---------- Post Merged at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:17 PM ----------

... I would also give daisy chains to my girlfriend.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2009-09-18-at-8-29-50-am.jpg
    screen-shot-2009-09-18-at-8-29-50-am.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1
  • screen-shot-2009-09-18-at-8-29-50-am.jpg
    screen-shot-2009-09-18-at-8-29-50-am.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2
  • img_3174-daisy-chain.jpg
    img_3174-daisy-chain.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3446687055_6a030641d3.jpg
    3446687055_6a030641d3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.