More threads by David Baxter PhD

Banned

Banned
I remember my bike with a banana seat, and pedaling backwards to brake as well.

I also remember the milkman delivering the milk to our door, although by then it was no longer by horse but by truck.

I remember riding in the back of the station wagon, waving to the cars behind us, and making a fort back there to occupy us on long road trips.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Our house had a milk chute for milk deliveries and the milk came in glass bottles. As my mother worked out of the home, I had to make sure to run home at lunch to get the milk out of the chute before it would freeze and the bottles would break. I too remember the test pattern on our black and white tv.

Peter

MVP
Wow, Steve. I did not know about the two-tone colored cars, but I do relate to the Morris Minor, my dad had one. It looked like a VW Beetle. Whenever we went camping, the car was packed to the roof except for one tiny niche ? for me to squeeze in.

About the TV shows, I was one of those visiting neighbours! The first TV scene I watched was an episode of Zorro.

The TV has a peculiar attraction about it, even when it is switched off, it still demands attention.

A work friend and I made a list of all the TV shows (not movies) we could remember when we were boys. After three months, we came to a dead end. We listed about 480 TV shows. We were dumbfounded by the enormity of our TV viewing. As a side note, I do not like TV, and have not watched it since 2008, and have not watched any DVDs, etc, since last April. However, I do spend several hours on the computer per day.

Why, when I was a boy I always wanted to deliver the weekend newspapers on my bike, much like this boy in the photo. Unfortunately, that job never had any vacancies.

---------- Post Merged at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:45 PM ----------

RDW. Your comment about the milk bottles reminded me of school days when we got mini milk bottles in a grate. We would use two fingers to flick the aluminium lid like Frisbee.

Attachments

• Paper Boy.JPG
    Paper Boy.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1

Retired

Why, when I was a boy I always wanted to deliver the weekend newspapers on my bike

Then I consider myself fortunate, in that I had a paper route delivering the Montreal Star after school. The cost to my customers for home delivery was 35? a week!!

In winter, I used a sleigh to transport my wares, and my trusty dog Rinty would help by pulling the sleigh.

Now, Rinty had above average intelligence, smarter than me at times, and although I don't have a picture of Rinty pulling the papers, I do have one of Rinty in charge of my electric trains:

Train Rin.jpg

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Gosh I always wanted a job as a newspaper "boy". However that was not allowed as girls were supposed to babysit not throw papers. :D

Retired

Peter said:
About the TV shows, I was one of those visiting neighbours! The first TV scene I watched was an episode of Zorro.

As a kid, I remember Howdy Doody, with Buffalo Bob and Princess SummerFallWinterSpring as being one of my favorites, but later Sky King cam along as well as Roy Rogers and Dale Evans in their TV series.

I watched Zorro and every Sunday looked forward to Walt Disney. But then even as a child, I learned about how big business manipulates kids when Disney showed all the TV episodes of Davey Crockett, and later promoted the movie that I persuaded my Father to take me to see. I was disappointed to see the movie was simply a repeat of the three TV episodes, spliced together to make a 90 minute movie <sigh>.

But then there was Ed Sullivan and Jackie Gleason that were weekly favorites.

What are some of the other early TV programs that others might remember?

Trivia for Canadians: What was Percy Saltzman known for?

How many on the Forum are old enough to have been mesmerized by the live weekend TV showing of the aftermath of the Kennedy Assassination debacle?

Steve

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Walt Disney, Ed Sullivan - who can forget the Beatles' performance- and Jackie Gleason were all watched in our house. Along with The Fugitive which was my mother's favourite show and Car 54 where are you, Dragnet and Mr Ed - that lovely talking horse. The hot weather also reminds me of the sound of the ice cream truck coming down the street - now that was exciting!

Retired

Along with The Fugitive which was my mother's favourite show

The earlier hit of David Janssen, before the Fugitive was Richard Diamond, Private Detective.

Trivia Question: In Richard Diamond, Private Detective , who played his secretary, Sam, whose face we never saw, because they only showed her from the waist down to feature her great legs?

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Who remembers Outer Limits? I was too afraid to watch it and had to go bed early :eek:mg:. One of my favourite Disney movies was "Old Yeller". I cried for weeks...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I remember it but didn't get to see it very often. Not sure why. It might have been a period when I wasn't watching much TV or it may have been when it was broadcast.

Retired

I'm not familiar with the 1963 version of Outer Limits mainly because it was during a time in my life when I was occupied with things away from TV.

But I did watch Rod Serling's original Twilight Zone as often as I could, and now realize, when I see re-runs that many big name actors got their start on Twilight Zone.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
During high school I worked at a drive in restaurant cooking burgers, making milkshakes etc. It was hot greasy work but we had so much fun during a shift. Good times and I still cook a mean burger... ;)

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Good Alberta beef = mean burgers; gentle kind burgers must come from the east:funny:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.