More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sleep deprivation plays havoc with genes
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Feb 26, 2013

Sleep deprivation affects hundreds of genes involved with inflammation, immunity and cells' response to stress, British researchers have found.

The findings might help explain why some people who do not get enough sleep have an increased risk for obesity, heart disease and cognitive impairment.

Sleep expert Derk-Jan Dijk and colleagues from the University of Surrey took whole-blood RNA samples from 26 participants after they had spent a week sleeping 8.5 hours a night, and the same participants after a week of sleeping for just 5.7 hours.

The expression of genes in blood offers a view into what is happening in other organs of the body, including the brain and liver, which are more difficult to test repeatedly, the authors note.

After each week, 10 blood samples were taken from each participant at three-hourly intervals, during a period of total sleep deprivation that helped the researchers control the effects of light, activity and food on gene expression.

The experimental conditions mimic what many people experience on a regular basis, the researchers note in their article.

Circadian rhythms affected
"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30 per cent of civilian adults in the United States report an average sleep duration of six hours or less."

Comparing the two sets of samples, the researchers found that 444 genes were down-regulated after the sleepless week, and 267 were up-regulated.

Their study appears in the latest issue of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Genes related to circadian rhythms, metabolism, inflammation, immune response and stress were all affected by the experiment.

"The identified biological processes may be involved with the negative effects of sleep loss on health," the researchers say.
Window to biological mechanisms

The results "contribute to the developing evidence that poor or insufficient sleep is a health risk," comments Australian sleep researcher John Trinder from the University of Melbourne.

The new findings also open a window into the mechanisms that underpin the harmful effects of sleep deprivation, notes sleep researcher Andrew Vakulin from the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research in Sydney.

"It's a snapshot of what's going on," he tells the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. "It's summarizing what's getting turned off and on and gives us the ability to look at things much more closely now."

The new study also offers scientists avenues for studying why different individuals are more susceptible to the consequences of sleep deprivation, says Vakulin.

For the past few months I cannot sleep at night. I sleep for short naps in the day. I have become more reclusive in the day and don't want to be around people. My dr gave me some sleep medicine but it makes me feel horrible. The voices don't bother me as much at night because there isn't so much going on like during the day. I don't know what to do. Does anybody else do this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Have you asked your doctor about an alternative for the sleep medication? There are several choices these days. What was it your doctor prescribed?

He gave me Ativan. I can't take many drugs because I developed atrial fibrillation . I see him next week and maybe there is something. I am so very tired of this. All of it... Thank you for responding though. I will try to get through this.

Retired

Texasgirl said:
He gave me Ativan.....My dr gave me some sleep medicine but it makes me feel horrible.

What dosage was prescribed for sleep and what does the Ativan do to make it unpleasant to use?

Banned

Banned
I lived with insomnia for years. It was horrible and affected my life negatively in so many ways. I am finally off sleep meds and hope to stay that way. In hindsight, I think my insomnia was attributed mainly to anxiety and I wish I could have gotten a grip on it much sooner. If you suffer from insomnia please don't think that it just has to be that way. Work with your doctor to investigate and get to the bottom of it. It does affect your health, as this study shows.

I've gone from insomnia to sleeping soundly almost every night. I don't know what I did except develop a sleep hygiene and routine. I took klonopin for years because of hypnic jerk but at the urging of my doctor I quit over a year ago. (weaned myself off) Still have sleepless nights occasionally, but it is rare and it is almost always followed by a sound sleep the next night.

A bad night's sleep seems to make everything else (emotional) worse.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
1 milligram of Ativan knocked my son sideways when he was in hospital. I think a 100 mg would put you in a coma? it seemed very powerful sedation wise.

As for the sleep deprivation article I was gonna post this up but Dr Baxter beat me to it, :)

I suffered insomnia for years I would either not sleep for days of just sleep all the time...Darkside's comment on routine is so spot on I found as soon as I started exercising my insomnia started to ease and eventually it came under control by doing an hours yoga exactly an hour before bed that knocked it on the head.

I still do get it some times but now I see it as a sign of other things which I think it in most cases is... i.e I am stressed, anxious, depressed so if I work on that it goes away again.

Back to the article though there is some really interesting research going on at the moment into night workers and the effects of night work not only on their physical health but also mental health and some of the findings are quite worrying... higher heart attack rates...higher depression..

If I can find them I will post them up

Everyone has a different circadian rhythm and I would implore anyone who is having sleep problems to Google circadian rhythm and think about it in relation to themselves.

I think in years to come we may start to respect the need for sleep more and take the effects of the lack of it more seriously (with any luck).

Good post W00BY. Another thing I don't do is beat myself up over a bad night's sleep anymore. Insomnia gains a foothold when I get anxious over a bad night and having lived through this for a few years I have gained more confidence that sleep will return. But I still have to work at it.

I can't watch a suspenseful movie, or stimulate myself with the computer, paperwork or cleaning too close to bedtime or I raise the risk of a bad night. Last night I watched TV and waited until late to clean up the kitchen and start a load of clothes and as a result I had a bad night. (Woke up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep) Most nights I need about 30 minutes to unwind before I close my eyes. Reading is the best way for me to unwind, but sometimes going outside in the night air helps too.

But being easy on myself over a bad night is one of the most important things I have learned to do. I have some outpatient surgery tomorrow and I'm worried about the cost and recovery so I think I can be excused for being sleepless. Odds are I will sleep pretty soundly tonight.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.