More threads by Retired

Retired

I recently helped a friend set up and configure their new Vista machine. Never having had previous experience with Vista, and having read various derogatory articles about Vista, I approached the project with some trepidation.

At first I thought I was working on an XP machine, until I began seeing pop ups requesting confirmation of an action..ah yes, I read about that!

The little whirpool which replaces the hourglass when something is loading is another clue we have Vista.

Add/Remove Programs is called something else and Windows Explorer looks different...but so did File Manager and Windows Explorer.

After a couple of days, I felt quite comfortable with Vista, and wondered why we've been reading about peoples' apprehension to adopt the new OS.

Overall, anyone familiar with Windows XP should be able to adapt quite readily to Vista, based on my few days of experience, and when the time comes, I don't think Vista will cause any anxiety.

What has been your Vista experience?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What has been your Vista experience?

Wonderful, if you don't include the driver issues than can render my computer inoperable unless I restart the computer. On my computer which is self-assembled but has fairly recent hardware I bought in late 2007, I continue to have issues with my video and sound drivers, specifically with the manufacturers ATI (for video) and Creative (for audio), whose latest drivers continue to have issues, at least with the 64-bit version of Vista (and I experienced the same issues previously with the 32-bit Vista version).

However, on a new Dell computer my parents bought this year with Vista preloaded, everything continues to be perfect. The only issue they had was that, at one point, Vista's automatic update feature downloaded and installed an "update" to the video driver that needed to be undone.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.