Windows Contacts
Windows Mail
Windows Mail (News)
Windows Media Player
Windows Photo Gallery
Yahoo! Mail
Yahoo! Music Jukebox

I do not see a button that says "browse."

"Also, just to be clear, what you are wanting is Word 2007 (not WordPad) to be the executable file that is made default for opening the file type in question."

Yes, that's what I want. Again, there is no option to "open with." Right-clicking the file reveals only these options:

Open
Open File Location
Scan
Email with Yahoo!
Send to:
Cut
Copy
Delete
Sort by Name
Properties

Does any of that ring a bell?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The left panel contains the following programs only:

OK. I am now on a computer with Word 2007, and I now see that it's normal not to have Word 2007 or Office 2007 on the left pane.

So, your best option seems to be Start button -- > Default programs -- > Associate a file type...

Then select ".doc" or whatever the file type is from the list of file types. Then, assuming Word is not the default, click on "Change Program."

stargazer

OK, now it makes sense. Thanks for your help, especially for going to that other computer for me. I just did as you suggested, and successfully switched it so that files having a .doc extension will open up by default in Word 2007 rather than in WordPad. Hang on, and I'll test it.

Yes, it works! I see now that I also mis-interpreted the following, which I quoted earlier from one of David's replies:

"The Windows Vista tool you use to change file associations in located in the Control Panel under the Default Programs icon. Once on the Default Programs screen you have two choices for changing file associations: 1. Set your default programs 2. Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

I didn't see the option (2) above as leading to a list of file extensions, matched up with what program opens them by default. Once I found that list, I was able to see that .doc extensions were opened in WordPad by default, so I clicked "Change Program" and received a list of recommended programs, Microsoft Word 2007 being one of only two programs on the list.

Now, everything is solved comfortably. Thanks once again. :)

Last edited:

stargazer

Now, everything is solved comfortably.

Well, I shouldn't have said that "everything" is solved comfortably. I've succeeded in being able to open Word docs that are Word 97-2003, though, with Word 2007 finally. They're finally fixed so that they open automatically by default, and I don't have to go thru WordPad or any kind of script.

What I can't do is:

(1) open a zip file

(2) open a file with a .php extension

There are probably a whole lot of other things I can't do, but these are the ones that concern me at the moment; as I am trying to download Simple Machine Forums software, which requires both.

I did successfully download the software from their web site and save it to a destination I've been able to locate, but now I can't open any of the files.

In running a google search for answers, anything that proposes a solution saying to "right-click" on the file and choose "open with" is not a solution for whatever version of Vista I have, because there is never an "open with" option.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What I can't do is:

(1) open a zip file

What about the Control Panel applet I talked about earlier? Can you not use that to associate the .zip file with whatever Vista uses to decompress .zip archive files (XP has a built-in utility)? The other solution would be to download and install one of the free zip/unzip utilities. Installing it should ensure that the .zip extension is associated with the utility, or at least give you that option during installation.

(2) open a file with a .php extension

For this, download and install the free Crimson Editor. I don't recall if this associates the editor automatically with PHP files, but if it doesn't it's a simple matter to add the PHP extension:

• Select Tools | Preferences from the main menu.
  • Select File | Association from the next screen.
  • If you do not see .php listed there, add it, including the leading dot.

stargazer

Thanks for the links, and let me look into these tonight or tomorrow morning. I don't recall your mentioning the control panel applet -- I do recall our discussing the control panel, and my mentioning how it seems to differ greatly (if not incomprensibly in places) between XP and Vista. If you can link to the specific post, that may be helpful.

I forgot that I have to go up the Coast to get finger-printed for one of my teaching jobs, and I won't be able to go to County Mental Health as a result. I inadvertently double-scheduled and am somewhat stressssssed.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks for the links, and let me look into these tonight or tomorrow morning. I don't recall your mentioning the control panel applet -- I do recall our discussing the control panel, and my mentioning how it seems to differ greatly (if not incomprensibly in places) between XP and Vista. If you can link to the specific post, that may be helpful.

Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista Issues

How do I... Change file extension associations in Windows Vista?

The Windows Vista tool you use to change file associations in located in the Control Panel under the Default Programs icon.

Once on the Default Programs screen you have two choices for changing file associations:

1. Set your default programs
2. Associate a file type or protocol with a program

You referred to this method in your post at Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista Issues

Daniel replied at Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista Issues and Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista Issues

And you replied again at Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum - View Single Post - Windows Vista Issues

So, not having a copy of Vista to look at, I'm still unclear as to whether the Control Panel allows you to add other programs or not.

stargazer

Thanks for the links, David. For some reason, I was exhausted when I came home from teaching last night, and I went to bed early. But I'm up now and can devote some time to this.

(A couple minutes later)...

I think I've already blown it. There are two ways to install SMF software -- one is the "Web Install" way that gives me a file called "webinstall.php" -- the other is the zip file that I believe I used before. To my recollection, the zip file opened immediately with XP without my having to search for any particular program with which to open it.

With Vista, I get a message for each type of file saying that Windows can't open the file, and that I have two choices: I can search on the Web for a program that will open it, or I can try to open with an existing program.

Last time, I tried the option to search on the web. It didn't seem to lead to a clear way to open the file, so this time I tried the option to open it with an existing program.

I tried Word 2007 first. It opened it, but in weird characters and code. So then I tried to open it with Internet Explorer, and found that the default was already set to open with Word 2007, and I can't figure out how to change it. I don't know why Vista set another default without my asking it too -- but I suppose they were only trying to help. :(

I might actually become too frustrated to follow through with this procedure any further this morning, because I have a long list of things to do that are related to my work, and although I want to get my message board going again, it's not as much a priority as some of the other things I have to do before I go to work this afternoon.

So, if it's going to be an experience of frustration rather than enjoyment, maybe I better save all this info, and pursue it later, when I'm more emotionally willing to endure a long period of frustration and futility.

Last edited:

stargazer

OK. I did have that post saved above, but hadn't clicked on the link regarding the zip files yet.

Say, I did pursue this a wee bit further, and now remember how to change the default program that will open (or try to open) any given file:

"Once on the Default Programs screen you have two choices for changing file associations:

1. Set your default programs
2. Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

It's by going to #2 above. (I feel a little dumb, because we just went through this the other day, and I'd forgotten already). What happens on Vista is that a drop-down menu appears with a list of a huge amount of possible file extensions -- just about every file extension you can imagine. It then tells you what the default program is to open that kind of file (if any).

To change the default, you then highlight the file extension, click "Change Program," and a number of icons representing other recommended programs appear. (Sometimes that number is zero, but at other times there are three or four programs, and you are given a choice.)

So I changed the default to "Internet Explorer" which of course couldn't open the program, and didn't even try.

But at least I got this far.

(Hmmm...it's only 6:15am in the morning, and I don't have to be at work till 1:30pm. Maybe I can devote another forty-five minutes or so to this.) In addition to work-related tasks I need to accomplish, there is also running, errands, etc. -- I make these assessments according to a highly subjective mental clock that tries to accommodate my sloppy time management skills.)

(About fifteen minutes later):

David, I just sent you an email. I downloaded the Crimson Editor and opened the php file, but am not exactly sure what to do with it from here.

Last edited:

stargazer

(THE NEXT DAY):

(1) Does anyone know what mysterious key the palm of my right hand keeps hitting on these dark black Dell keyboards that consistently zaps my emails, PsychLink posts, and all other carefully worded contraptions into cyberspace? And is there some sort of key I can hit that will get them back? It's totally aggravating. It happens at least five times a day.

(2) I have a vague feeling I might get banned from the Simple Machines Forum message board. They can't possibly know me very well, and even here on PsychLinks I am constantly feeling insecure about the nature of my posts.

Virtually Clueless

Can somebody help me with this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
(1) Does anyone know what mysterious key the palm of my right hand keeps hitting on these dark black Dell keyboards that consistently zaps my emails, Psychlinks posts, and all other carefully worded contraptions into cyberspace? And is there some sort of key I can hit that will get them back? It's totally aggravating. It happens at least five times a day.

I suspect it's the numeric keypad. For reasons I never understood, starting with Windows XP Microsoft decided to switch the function keys to default to the Word-type functions, and to change the default "numeric" state to OFF. For XP, there is an easy way to revert these settings on boot but I don't know how to do this with Vista.

I suspect what may be happening is that your right hand or pinky is hitting the delete key (which is the decimal point when the keypad is in numeric mode) or possibly the <Enter> key which is the same in both modes.

If it's email, you should still be able to locate what's deleted in the "Deleted" folder.

(2) I have a vague feeling I might get banned from the Simple Machines Forum message board. They can't possibly know me very well, and even here on PsychLinks I am constantly feeling insecure about the nature of my posts.

Virtually Clueless

Can somebody help me with this?

If you're having difficulty getting a response from the SMF forum, which is pretty huge with a lot of members and posts, you could also post at TheAdminZone. They have an SMF section there and several forum administrators with varying degrees of experience and that may get you a faster answer.

Added: I replied at the SMF forums. You're trying to run a text file (.txt extension). It should be a PHP file (extension .php).

stargazer

I have some singers arriving in approximately one minute, but will sneak in a quick reply. I suspected it was a file extension issue, but wasn't certain if it was supposed to be an .html extension or some other type of extension. I'll explore this later. Thanks for getting back to me, David.

stargazer

By the way, I went over to the Admin Zone -- what a cool site! I'm sure it will help immensely. Also, I posted on the SMF forums about my current issue, having successfully uploaded the .php file, but having since run up against other hurdles.

stargazer

I've posted this exact request for help both on Simple Machines Community Forums and on Admin Zone Forums. Haven't heard back from any one yet. I'm quoting what appears on the page where I can't figure out how to fill in the blanks:

This web installer needs your FTP information in order to automate the installation for you. Please note that none of this information is saved in your installation, it is just used to setup SMF.

Server: ________________
Port: 21
The address (often localhost) and port for your FTP server.

Username: andypope
The username to login with. This will not be saved anywhere.

Password: __________________
The password to login with. This will not be saved anywhere.

Install Path: /public_html
This is the relative path you use in your FTP client.

So, I need to know how to fill in the blanks. They'd already put "andypope" "Port 21" and "/public_html" there for me. I've tried a bunch of stuff I thought was maybe right, but I'm wild-guessing. I've tried putting my control panel password in, and andypope.org for the server, etc. That's about where I'm at with this. Any help would be appreciated.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This web installer needs your FTP information in order to automate the installation for you. Please note that none of this information is saved in your installation, it is just used to setup SMF.

Server: ________________
Port: 21
The address (often localhost) and port for your FTP server.

Username: andypope
The username to login with. This will not be saved anywhere.

Password: __________________
The password to login with. This will not be saved anywhere.

Install Path: /public_html
This is the relative path you use in your FTP client.

So, I need to know how to fill in the blanks. They'd already put "andypope" "Port 21" and "/public_html" there for me. I've tried a bunch of stuff I thought was maybe right, but I'm wild-guessing. I've tried putting my control panel password in, and andypope.org for the server, etc. That's about where I'm at with this. Any help would be appreciated.

The server is probably going to be localhost.

The other information should be your log-in information.

The install path I don't know because this changes from one server to another, depending on how your host has set up the server. Contact your host to get this information.

stargazer

Someone answered over at the Simple Machines Community Forum, saying that the install path was typically public_html/forumfolder/ but after trying that, I got the following error message:

"Unable to connect to FTP server with this combination of details.
550 Can't change directory to /public_html/forumfolder: No such file or directory"

At least now I know that the password is the same as my control panel login password. That's a step forward. The other fellow said the same thing.

I'll contact Runbox and see what I can learn. Thanks.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.