More threads by gooblax

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How long does that usually take?

They make it seem relatively easy with the WD-40:

"Clean your bike chain quickly and easily"

It used to take me a long time to clean the chicken coops until I found products to make it easier. I can clean a chicken coop in 5-10 minutes now compared to a half hour at least. (I just spray with a no-rinse enzyme cleaner before and after putting a new layer of bedding down. Like the 80/20 rule. I can clean most of the coop with just 20 percent of the effort I put in before. It does cost more money, but I keep the coops cleaner now since less work is required.)

Last edited:
It takes me an hour. The slow part is trying to get the dirt off my gears. I have a chain cleaning device to snap over the chain and pedal backwards to run it through the brushes which is very easy. But I find it hard brushing the gears, just moving the grit around, then trying to get a cloth or paper towel in to wipe it away.

I finished it about 50 minutes ago, then had to hang out my laundry, and now I'm recovering energy before walking to the grocery store... but I haven't decided what groceries to get.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Maybe your local bike shop has tips for faster cleaning of the gears?

The method above uses pipe cleaners. Another option I read is to remove the gears/cassette.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.