More threads by adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hi,

I wonder if I made a mistake checking in with this particular therapist before I move. I cant stop worrying ever since I had that last session.
We had a good relationship and the sessions gave me a lot of tips. I was a litle curious though at times because it didn't seem like we ever really got into the techniques talked about in this forum related to obsessive thinking. These are the techniques that seemed to be the most helpful to me yet I feel like the sessions were more about exploring the content of my worries when maybe it should have been on learning to let thoughts go and not trying to get into their meaning. Trying to get into their meaning kind of made me obsessive more if that seems possible. At the last meeting, I mentioned to the therapist that my obsessive thinking had gotten worse and that I wondered if I needed medication. The therapist said no because I just had OCD tendencies and not OCD and that medication should only be a last resort and what would I do when I stoped the medication.

I can kind of understand that, maybe I am just looking for an easy way out, its just that these thoughts are wearing me down. I literally feel like my mind has been split down the middle. One part obsesses every second of the day and the other part doesn't. But I am told by an expert that I dont have anything wrong with me so I feel like a hypochondriac. I really don't know what to think. Is it wrong of me to go to a Doctor and ask for medication if I only have symptoms of a disorder and not an actual disorder and if I only have symptoms and no disorder, why do I have to spend every second of the day trying to work around it.

What do you guys think?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Worried about being told I dont need medication but I feel like I do

The therapist said no because I just had OCD tendencies and not OCD and that medication should only be a last resort and what would I do when I stoped the medication.

It's not like OCD symptoms are easy to treat -- with or without them being severe enough to constitute an official diagnosis -- so I would definitely go with a combo package, including the therapy and seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Personally, years ago, when I went to a leading researcher on OCD for an evaluation, he wasn't sure if I had OCD or not per se, but he certainly thought there was a biological basis that should be treated with meds in addition to therapy.

I generally see trying medication as a no-lose propostion, and, generally, I think people who see medication as a last resort probably aren't reading journal articles.

Last edited:

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks you guys, I kind of feel like I should have taken your advice on that a long time ago when I first came on the forum. In my heart I kind of felt this was the way to go but part of me thought eventually this would go away if I just waited it out or solved the right problem or that I had some secret inner conflict that I just needed to resolve. Well, it isn' going away, I don't think I have any more inner conflicts than anybody else and I can see exploring the meaning of these obsessions is not a good idea for me. As I read once in an article, anything can become an obsession if you keep asking why. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum back then and I will go to the doctor and change the approach I have been using in therapy too.

adaptive, if you feel that you need medication because you are struggling, i would definitely pursue that. it never hurts to get a second opinion. it does sound like you are struggling and having difficulties with these thoughts. i think the worst case scenario is you try the medication and it doesn't help. i don't think you have anything to lose by trying it.

this was your therapist's opinion but maybe he/she hasn't had enough training on the subject or is against medication for whatever reason. in the end it's you that has to live with the thoughts and you know how much it is affecting you. if you are ok with medication, want medication, are struggling, then i don't see any reason why not to go for it.

good luck :)

lallieth

Adaptive

I agree with what everyone else is saying.Medication may help you in getting your thoughts together so that you can benefit more from therapy.I know what it's like trying to gather your thoughts when it seems they are processing a thousand per minute

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I am trying to be proactive and have ways of dealing with my repetitive thoughts and concentration problems but I am getting to the point where I am sick of talking about it. Maybe thats a good thing, like I am moving on, I dont know, or else I am giving up. I went to a new therapist who told me that she isnt sure at all what is causing my problems or why I am the way I am. She said she was going to consult with a physician to see what medications she might suggest for ruminating thoughts which kind of surprised me because Dr Baxter seemed to know what to suggest right away. I thougth ruminating thoughts were tied to depression and I am not sure I am depressed, though I havent a clue anymore what to think. I am kind of surprised that she would say she doesnt know whats wrong, is this really so out of the ordinary? Isn't obsessive thoughts just anxiety? Is this a sign I should look for yet another theapist or should I throw in the towel? Should I even care anymore? I am doing ok the last few weeks keeping busy so it hasnt been so bad.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

ladylore

Account Closed
Ruminating thoughts can also be part of addiction and recovery, PTSD and dealing with trauma, depression and probably other things.

I might be wrong but I am assuming at certain points in your life that you had to figure out what was going on before it happened, you had to be in the know. If this is the case it can be hard to rewire the brain to let go and relax. Hard but it can be done. :)

You have been around here for a while so we are getting to know you but the therapist is new, so that is why she wants to consult with a Dr. She doesn't know you well enough yet.

And you probably right about moving on. Those types of thoughts are tiring and need to be dealt with not just talked about, especially when you have been doing plenty of talking.

Your doing great Adaptive. Keep up the great work. :hug:

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks Ladylore, I guess I am at the point where something changed within in me and I just dont care anymore, I dont care whats wrong with me, I dont care what the diagnosis is, I dont even want to talk about it anymore. I cant spend anymore time looking for a solution or any more money on therapy sessions. I am going to keep busy doing things and manage my days so that the symptoms are not such problems. I feel strong enough to do that right now and I think I just have to deal with the cards I was dealt in life, it could certainly be a lot worse.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.