More threads by jg147

jg147

I found this forum today through googling 'anxiety'. I read with interest a post from 'Shrewd' in 2005.

I am finally (after 18 years!) at the age of 36, beginning to admit that I need help, in the past I felt I was (still am?) being absolutely ridiculous to allow 'my problem' to control my life, but it does!

Since an episode (18 years ago) where I soiled myself while I was out, I have been constantly worried ever since that it could happen again. I can literally work myself up so much that I get diarrhoea just through worrying that I will.

I envy people who think nothing of standing at a bus stop, going camping, going to a concert, trying unusual food - actually just eating out! I only shop where I know there are public toilets, I couldn't go anywhere on a bus, I only feel comfortable when I'm in my car - alone & therefore could if neccessary make a diversion to visit a toilet.

I have dealt with this for so long (not very well I admit, I often cry off on going to places, just in case), but now I'm worried I might be affecting my daughter, she's 9. We will plan to go somewhere but part way there I will change my mind & head elsewhere, somewhere that I know has a toilet. I get agitated & snappy when my stomach starts churning - not fair on her. She notices that I go to the loo at least 10 times before we leave the house - just to clear my system and recently she was sick at a restaurant & won't eat out anymore because she feels sick thinking about it - this takes the pressure off me, so I've not tried to help! Is she picking up on my vibes?

I take loperamide with me everywhere, it helps - mind over matter, but what medical help should I get? Is there anyone out there who's had the same problem but is over it? It feels a relief just to get this off my chest & to know that there are others out there, but I want to be free of this 'stupid' anxiety.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Orange

Re: Worrying about diarrhoea is ruining my life

Hi jg147 and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:
Hopefully someone else can chime in and help out.
It's a very good thing that you have decided to talk about it.

Halo

Hi jg147 and welcome to Psychlinks :hithere:

First of all I am glad that you decided to open up and share what you are going through as I am sure that some people on here may be able to relate. I know that one of the symptoms for me when I have high spiking anxiety is going to the bathroom a lot which I seem to be able to control with the use of OTC medication.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the issue? I know that there are medical conditions as well as some medications that can cause diarrhea and seeing to your doctor is probably the first thing that I would do.

welcome :wave4: i would go see your doctor about this as well and take it from there. it would be so much nicer for both you and your daughter if this was something you resolved. :goodjob:

jg147

Just to let you know I visited a General Practioner, I hadn't seen this particular Dr before and despite feeling embarrassed to tell him what was wrong, he put me at ease immediately. He told me it's extremely common for patients to present to him with anxiety in one form or another & that this particular problem was not unusual, he gave me a medical examination & guessed I could have IBS. I'm not convinced I still believe it's all in my head & that I am the cause to my problem, after all my symptoms mostly occur when I know I have to go out! Also since reading up on the condition, I realised I don't have all the symptoms that the genuine, poor sufferers have to go through.
He told me which foods I should avoid - dairy being one, I don't have dairy except cheese, but looking back I think this could certainly have been a trigger! He prescribed Mebeverine, to start taking a few days before I know I have an event to go to that may trigger the symptoms. The drug prevents the digestive muscles from contracting / causing spasms.
I went out on Friday evening for a few hours with my family & some friends but didn't truly relax until I returned home. Today, I feel quite euphoric because I actually ate out, I stuck with what I call 'safe food' & had a couple of glasses of wine, despite Dr saying to avoid alcohol, I find it relaxes me & I don't stress so much abouit 'what if?' Perhaps the tablets worked, perhaps it was mind over matter...
If I don't feel the medication has been successful after 3-6months, he says he will discuss with me the 'pyschological' options - anti-depressants, relaxants etc. I asked about hypnotherapy but I think that must come much further down the line once other options have been exhausted, he said it would be very difficult to change my 'mind set' after so many years.
In the meantime, I continue to read up on other peoples experiences & feel slightly better knowing that I'm not alone..

Halo

JP,

I am glad to hear that you spoke to your doctor about this and that medication may be able to help. That was a huge step forward that you took talking to the doctor.

Goodluck :goodluck:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.