More threads by Superiority Tails

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As with anything, it's a matter of degree.

It's certainly "normal" to be mindful about protecting yourself against identity theft. I think ads from companies like Allstate Insurance are playing the dangers up a bit but it does happen.

On the other hand, excessive worrying about something like this may be a manifestation of OCD. I believe that you've mentioned elsewhere that you have been diagnosed with OCD or believe yourself to have OCD.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
If you think you may have OCD, and the symptoms are severe enough to trouble you or to interfere with your daily life, it's advisable to talk to a mental health professional who is qualified to diagnose.

If you meet the criteria for OCD, there are many things that cvan help you manage the symptoms.

Retired

I would defer to Dr. Baxter for his opinion on degree of concern and the possibility of OCD.

However I do have an opinion on the subject of identity theft, as one who lives in both Canada and in the U.S.

Identity theft has become an important consideration in the last decade and each of us needs to be vigilant in just about every transaction we do.

My experience is that the threat is greater in the U.S. than in Canada, but as Canadians we cannot ignore the concern.

We need to safeguard every bit of personal information, and treat our credit card(s) as though they were cash. IOW the credit card should never leave your sight.

Personal information such as your SIN or Social Security should never be disclosed to anyone without very good reason.

Identity thieves use a variety of clever methods to accumulate information about people, which is why we should not disclose such information casually.

Although this discussion was not specifically on the subject of identity theft, but concerns about worrying about it, I won't pursue discussing identity theft avaoidance, unless someone expresses interest in the topic.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.