More threads by Vinton

Vinton

Hi,

I suffer from cyclothymia and ADHD but cant lift the anxiety and depression. In 1973 I was partially paralysed (whole right side)and recovered over the year but was not told for another 9 years that it was MS. So in 73 went into severe depression and was not diagnosed so not treated.

Since, I suffer from severe anxiety and chronic anxiety. followed many therapies and started meds 2 years ago .

Would you consider this as PTSD...

Retired

Re: would this be considered as PTSD

Vinton,

Your question is very specific, and requires an answer from someone with the expertise and clinical experience of Dr. Baxter.

If you could hang on for a few days, when Dr. Baxter returns, post a short reply to this discussion thread to bump your question to the top of the queue, so it will get his attention.

In the meantime, Have a look at this posting that describes the diagnostic criteria for PTSD

You have asked an interesting question and I'm eager to hear the comments.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Vinton

Re: would this be considered as PTSD

Thanks,

It just hit me this week that it could be as it started with this event.

I will wait for Dr. Baxter to come back

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Bearing in mind my frequent disclaimer that I do not diagnose anyone online, the information you give here would not suggest PTSD.

Similar threads

My diagnosis is not BPD but the work is the same - one step at a time, hard, hard work and making the changes in my life to help me. You are so right - no magic, just honest work to find out who one really is and to know that a person's happiness lies within oneself through authentic living. Yup just hard work but so worth it. Thank you for your post as it was a great reminder to me on a day when I was struggling. You never know whose life you will touch.
Replies
Views
Facebook Considered to Treat Youth Mental Health Samantha Donovan, ABC.net.au February 18, 2012 This weekend Australia's mental health professionals are being urged to think about how they can use social media when treating young people. The Royal College of Psychiatrists is holding its first youth mental health forum in Melbourne, where they will examine not just the problems that the internet can cause but also the benefits to treatment offered by sites like Facebook...
Replies
Views
I understand. I never hit my mother, but she used slap and punch me. I detached from her as much as possible while still managing to receive food and clothing and shelter from her. A school counselor who was friendly and empathetic, begged my mother to go to family counseling with me, but she refused. I think you need to not be like her by hitting her back. IMO, it's best to not allow her to force you to be like her. It's difficult I know. Can you talk to a school counselor? They can...
Replies
Views
Other than one on one therapy there are other ways to help alleviate depression. Frankly using these forums does help. For free sites that help with depression I use both moodgym and clarifylife. But this is after I have used in person therapy.
Replies
Views
And in most jurisdictions, you will find that "serious bodily harm" will be interpreted as "life-threatening bodily harm". Just to clarify, what this means is that there must be a review after 72 hours to see whether the patient meets the criteria for an additional 72 hours (the times may vary in different jurisdictions). If the patient continues to meet the criteria for involuntary committal, s/he may be held on a new "form" (with recurrent reviews until s/he no longer meets those criteria).
Replies
Views