More threads by lallieth

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I have the opposite problem... I think I'm melting! It's been 38 degrees C here today (about 100 F I think) and it's not pleasant.

Halo

Hey Meglet...want some company..a houseguest maybe? :) Anything to get away from this snow...I could do with another vacation :lol:

bbjjre

I know this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous but I am actually loving the freezing whether. I am huge and pregnant and the heat that i am putting out is unbelievable!!! My husband calls me the space heater... I am loving opening the the patio door, or sticking my head out just to cool off! Winter coat? what coat? I'm walking in out in -23 weather without a coat and I am loving it!!!!

Meg

MVP
I would love to bottle some and get it out of here! It's a bit nicer today, though.

I also like having company, Halo - I'm afraid I only have a couch to offer though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Meg

MVP
Lol come on down then. Don't forget to slip, slop, slap! :)

Retired

I heard from a friend today that it's been raining and much of the snow has melted around Ottawa.

That sounds like it might create a risk of flooding in some areas.

Any reports of flooding?

Steve

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I haven't heard anything except the warnings about flooding so far, but the big problem today and especially this evening was very dense fog due to the rain and elevated air temperature versus the snow and ice accumulated on the ground. It was a slow stressful trip back home tonight. :panic:

Many driveways are pretty treacherous today too, with the rain washing the snow down to glare ice with a layer of water to make it extra slippery. Not the greatest cane weather. :panic:

Retired

Not the greatest cane weather

You probably know about the steel grippers that can be fitted to the bottom of a cane for winter ice. Pharmacies or stores that sell canes,wheelchairs etc have them.

Sounds worse than my friend described in his email. I can see how the fog could be developing with the snow, rain and rising temps.

Hopefully the temps don't drop to turn into freezing rain and black ice.

lallieth

I heard from a friend today that it's been raining and much of the snow has melted around Ottawa.

That sounds like it might create a risk of flooding in some areas.

Any reports of flooding?

Steve
Hi Steve

Not that I have heard so far..here in the country,there may be some flooding in homes,the sump pumps are working overtime.

Oh I just read that no major flooding reported and no concerns about it

Last edited:

bbjjre

I saw a crew of city workers near Johnston rd. this morning looking at a potential flooding problem near or on the railroad tracks. What can I say I am always the nosy one who slows the car down to see what's going on!

lallieth

We have basment flooding! My poor husband has been using the wet vac on and off pretty much every hour since 6am..his back is aching badly

Retired

husband has been using the wet vac on and off

Lucky to have a shop vac at home. You never know when you'll need it.

We live in a high rise, and I still keep a shop vac. It came in handy once when some seals failed on a window during a windy rainstorm!

Be prepared! That's the motto I go through life with!

lallieth

Well our basement completely flooded last night,our foundation is 100 years old,and we don't have a weeping bed around the foundation,with the rain and melting snow,the water has no place to go (cause the ground is frozen) and so it comes into the house.

Insurance wont cover ground water so there isnt much we can do,except hope the rain stops soon

lallieth

:yikes: That doesn't sound like much fun at all :panic:

I think the temperature is supposed to start heading back down today sometime.
Great..so you mean our basement will turn into a skating rink? fun for the kids at least lol

My hubby was really upset yesterday,after pumping so much water out and I told him "its JUST WATER" we are still happy and healthy..its just water"

Roy H.

It's been pretty bad here in the Twin Cities lately too (around 0 the last few days). The way I see it is I will always be a cold climate person because if you don't have the winter, you don't realize how special the summer is. Spring is also a lovely time of year. But honestly, I can't imagine Christmas without snow on the ground. :eek:

No, I'll be here for the rest of my life. Oh, BTW, get used to it guys, we aren't even close to spring yet, so try to enjoy the cold weather as much as possible. You have to embrace it, that is the key.:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.