More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I just spotted this story and wanted to warn all B.C. residents:

40,000 salmon escape B.C. farm
CBC News
Friday, October 23, 2009

About 40,000 Atlantic salmon have escaped from a fish farm on the B.C. coast.

Marine Harvest Canada says the fish escaped Wednesday from its farm at Port Elizabeth, on the Pacific Coast about 400 kilometres northwest of Vancouver.

The company says divers discovered several holes in two pens at the farm and efforts are being made to prevent more escapes from the pens, which still hold thousands of fish.

"Through the night Wednesday we had people working at the farm site to stop up the holes and reverse any ongoing problem with the escape," said Clare Backman, Marine Harvest's environmental compliance officer.

The Living Oceans Society environmental group says hundreds of thousands of farmed salmon escape every year.

My first reaction is that they obviously need better trained salmon farm prison guards. Hundreds of thousands is excessive even in the federal prison system.

Citizens of BC should warn their children to stay indoors after dark. A police spokesman who wished to remain anonymous told me that the salmon should be considered armed (salmon armed) and dangerous, and speculated that they might be trying to swim upstream. "They could be anywhere by now. They are the most rebellious of all fish with the possible exception of the guppie", he said.

If you should spot anything fishy in your town, please report it to the 10 Most Wanted Fish hotline.

Andy

MVP
You would think our tax dollars would be better spent on security.:panic: I think these Salmon gaurds should be "canned". Har har

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's a good point, although there's sometimes a "tin" line between security and cruel and unusual punishment...

For example, having a guard patrol the walls while singing "Salmon Janet Evening"... that would be cruel and unusual.

Andy

MVP
Definitely cruel, not so unusual. I guess things could be worse, they could be "swimming with the fishes".

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I know. At first, it was all going swimmingly. Then I went away for a few hours and look what happened... the whole thread went into the tank...

Jazzey

Account Closed
:lol: This thread made my night tonight. I love it when I can "Perch" here and laugh my "Sole" out. None of you deserve to be tanked...this is absolutely a reli"reef"
Thank you.

....Ok, so I'm not great at puns...give me a break. I loved this thread. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.