More threads by sweetanise

Hi,

I suffer from agoraphobia and as such, it is very difficult for me to leave the house on my own. Recently, my support network has been getting smaller and smaller, so I've begun looking for help elsewhere. However, I have recently learned that the Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario no longer has a Volunteer Companion Program. Does anyone know of any other organisations in Ottawa that offer similar help?

Thanks!

Hi,

I suffer from agoraphobia and as such, it is very difficult for me to leave the house on my own. Recently, my support network has been getting smaller and smaller, so I've begun looking for help elsewhere. However, I have recently learned that the Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario no longer has a Volunteer Companion Program. Does anyone know of any other organisations in Ottawa that offer similar help?

Thanks!

Retired

Sweetanise,

This must be a recent change at the ADAO.

You probably are familiar with their website, which continues to indicate they provide Volunteer Companion Program.

anxietyontario.com

Have you spoken to the directly to hear it first hand?

The ADAO provides:
Anxiety Management Workshop
Volunteer Companion Program
Support Group
Material

Contact Information:

Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario
Heartwood House
153 Chapel Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 1H5

613-729-6761 (Ottawa and surrounding area)
1-877-308-3843 (toll-free)

Another option you may wish to investigate, because they claim to offer support to people with agoraphobia is:

PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVORS OF ONTARIO (P.S.O.)
211 Bronson Avenue, Suite 313
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 6H5
567-4379

Advocacy, referral and support organization for survivors and users of the mental health system. Promotes greater survivor participation in changing the mental health system, building a supportive survivor community and developing alternative resources as defined by members. Members drop in for socializing and to use resource library, computer, fax machine, photocopier and lounge area. Workshops for member development, advocacy discussion group, social-education meetings. Call for more information about meeting dates, times and locations.

Let us know if you learn more about support for agoraphobia in Ottawa

Retired

Sweetanise,

This must be a recent change at the ADAO.

You probably are familiar with their website, which continues to indicate they provide Volunteer Companion Program.

anxietyontario.com

Have you spoken to the directly to hear it first hand?

The ADAO provides:
Anxiety Management Workshop
Volunteer Companion Program
Support Group
Material

Contact Information:

Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario
Heartwood House
153 Chapel Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 1H5

613-729-6761 (Ottawa and surrounding area)
1-877-308-3843 (toll-free)

Another option you may wish to investigate, because they claim to offer support to people with agoraphobia is:

PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVORS OF ONTARIO (P.S.O.)
211 Bronson Avenue, Suite 313
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 6H5
567-4379

Advocacy, referral and support organization for survivors and users of the mental health system. Promotes greater survivor participation in changing the mental health system, building a supportive survivor community and developing alternative resources as defined by members. Members drop in for socializing and to use resource library, computer, fax machine, photocopier and lounge area. Workshops for member development, advocacy discussion group, social-education meetings. Call for more information about meeting dates, times and locations.

Let us know if you learn more about support for agoraphobia in Ottawa

Well, I haven't spoken to anyone directly. I had ordered their brochure via voice mail, as their office was closed when I had called. When I saw that the whole paragraph about the Volunteer Companion Program had been manually crossed out, I figured they no longer offered the service. They still offer the Anxiety Management Workshop - 14 weeks at around $25 a week. More than I can afford right now, even with the waiting list for the reduced rate they offer for people on disability or OW (like me). I'd need a volunteer companion to get me there anyway...

I was pretty distraught at the time, so I promptly threw out the booklet. However, checking their website just now, elsewhere they state:

Currently the ADAO offers the following services, but is hoping in the near future to offer a number of other services it has provided in the past

* Fourteen-week anxiety management program
* Website
* Getting Helpletter
* Toll-free phone line, Local phone support and referral line
* Educational presentations and seminars for the public, the health services sector, schools, various non-profit organizations, community centers, businesses and government departments
* The 2005 Spirit Ultimate Tournament

I'll definitely check with the CMHA, as well as the PSO.

Thanks!

Well, I haven't spoken to anyone directly. I had ordered their brochure via voice mail, as their office was closed when I had called. When I saw that the whole paragraph about the Volunteer Companion Program had been manually crossed out, I figured they no longer offered the service. They still offer the Anxiety Management Workshop - 14 weeks at around $25 a week. More than I can afford right now, even with the waiting list for the reduced rate they offer for people on disability or OW (like me). I'd need a volunteer companion to get me there anyway...

I was pretty distraught at the time, so I promptly threw out the booklet. However, checking their website just now, elsewhere they state:

Currently the ADAO offers the following services, but is hoping in the near future to offer a number of other services it has provided in the past

* Fourteen-week anxiety management program
* Website
* Getting Helpletter
* Toll-free phone line, Local phone support and referral line
* Educational presentations and seminars for the public, the health services sector, schools, various non-profit organizations, community centers, businesses and government departments
* The 2005 Spirit Ultimate Tournament

I'll definitely check with the CMHA, as well as the PSO.

Thanks!

Yes, reading that page in particular is how I first came to phone them and order their brochure. I suppose I should give them another call to make sure. Perhaps their website is out-of-date.

Thanks anyways...

Yes, reading that page in particular is how I first came to phone them and order their brochure. I suppose I should give them another call to make sure. Perhaps their website is out-of-date.

Thanks anyways...

jkb

Hi sweetanise

You sound so much like me. Its nice to know i'm not the only one in all regards..

I left a message on Thursday for ADAO about the companion service and haven't heard anything yet.

VON charges from what i was told.

So i don't know myself lol...plus i'm not good at all with strangers.

As for ODSP I am on it. It took about 5mths to recieve/get approved. They were really nice and understanding and had a woman come out here to me to sign the forms etc since i can't travel due to my agora and well no support people. So I hope you recieve it soon and i wanted to let you know they are really good and nice.

I really wish that there were doctors/psychiatrists etc..that DID do home visits yk? At least until in my situation my meds and anxiety were more under control.

They have doctors that do for those with HIV and the elderly what about us? Just a thought/feelings lol.

I too will keep all updated with what i find out...

I hope i find out soon for my provider of cable and net and cell are not being nice at all and have set a cut off date for me as of the 9th..i had no warning what so ever and they were NOT accomadating to any payment options. anyhow that is another story and sorry for putting it here.

I do have just got a land line..so i will be now searching for internet services.

Anyhow like i said i will post as soon as i hear more about this program etc.

Wishing you peace..Jen

jkb

Hi sweetanise

You sound so much like me. Its nice to know i'm not the only one in all regards..

I left a message on Thursday for ADAO about the companion service and haven't heard anything yet.

VON charges from what i was told.

So i don't know myself lol...plus i'm not good at all with strangers.

As for ODSP I am on it. It took about 5mths to recieve/get approved. They were really nice and understanding and had a woman come out here to me to sign the forms etc since i can't travel due to my agora and well no support people. So I hope you recieve it soon and i wanted to let you know they are really good and nice.

I really wish that there were doctors/psychiatrists etc..that DID do home visits yk? At least until in my situation my meds and anxiety were more under control.

They have doctors that do for those with HIV and the elderly what about us? Just a thought/feelings lol.

I too will keep all updated with what i find out...

I hope i find out soon for my provider of cable and net and cell are not being nice at all and have set a cut off date for me as of the 9th..i had no warning what so ever and they were NOT accomadating to any payment options. anyhow that is another story and sorry for putting it here.

I do have just got a land line..so i will be now searching for internet services.

Anyhow like i said i will post as soon as i hear more about this program etc.

Wishing you peace..Jen

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.