More threads by sweetanise

jkb

she called.just about 15mins ago...i was so scared to answer..almsodt didn't

she understood and is giving me time since she see's and knows due to my fax and messages that i am trying to do all..to rectify all things..to get a support person in any form..etc..

so she has alloted me time and hence meds..

i really feel worn out..i am so happy..but i feel like crap yk?

i really need some down time..and some laughs..and rest..etc..

been a long few days or so..and more to come..
is it normal to feel so worn like this?
ty 4 listening

jkb

she called.just about 15mins ago...i was so scared to answer..almsodt didn't

she understood and is giving me time since she see's and knows due to my fax and messages that i am trying to do all..to rectify all things..to get a support person in any form..etc..

so she has alloted me time and hence meds..

i really feel worn out..i am so happy..but i feel like crap yk?

i really need some down time..and some laughs..and rest..etc..

been a long few days or so..and more to come..
is it normal to feel so worn like this?
ty 4 listening

Retired

Great News to hear about the progress you have made thanks to your positive persistence.

As we said earlier, by placing one foot in front of the other and dealing with each situation as it arose you succeeded in making progress.

You deserve to treat yourself to something nice...maybe get something special for yourself or do something that usually gives you pleasure.

Ask your doctor when you see her about getting someone to assit you in your errands. She might have a suggestion.

Good Luck!

Retired

Great News to hear about the progress you have made thanks to your positive persistence.

As we said earlier, by placing one foot in front of the other and dealing with each situation as it arose you succeeded in making progress.

You deserve to treat yourself to something nice...maybe get something special for yourself or do something that usually gives you pleasure.

Ask your doctor when you see her about getting someone to assit you in your errands. She might have a suggestion.

Good Luck!

I hope things are looking up for you Jen (aka jkb) I hadn't been able to check the forum for a while, now. I'm glad to hear about the progress you've been making in getting all of that information.

As for me, I was able to call the Mental Health Crisis Line yesterday (I was in tears at this point) and the very nice and understanding woman I spoke to suggested calling Volunteer Ottawa. Volunteer Ottawa - #1 Volunteer Search in Ottawa They might be able to find someone willing to taxi people in our situation around. Checking their website, just now, it looks like there is an agency called the Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa NameBright - Coming Soon who match a volunteer citizen from the community to someone living with a disability one-to-one for practical help and support in community life. I wonder if they might be able to help.

Also, she suggested asking my doctor to sign a form declaring me as disabled, so I'd be eligible to use ParaTranspo. Which wasn't a bad idea at all, I thought! As you already receive ODSP, that may be a solution for you as well.

If you speak French at all, the Cognitive-Behavioral in-patient program and the group therapy programs at Montfort hospital are pretty good, and din't have a long waiting list when I was a participant. I started at the emergency room, actually (I was suicidal...), and got a call from a therapist willing to evaluate me the very next day. The ball kept rolling from there. However, a year and a half later, even with all the CBT knowledge and meds, I'm back to where I started... Don't get me wrong, though. I did feel almost normal for a good while...

I have no idea what the waiting times are like in other local hospitals...

I called the ADAO yesterday - left a message, asking about their companion program. I'll try again today.

I'm feeling rather decisive today, I think I'm going to call the CMHA and the PSO this afternoon, and let you know what results I get.

Best,
Mel

P.S: Yes!!!! It's totally normal to feel as worn out as you do. Stress, anxiety and the like use up a ton of energy... Don't feel bad or worried about feeling frazzled and tired. I've been there too - er, am there, actually. ;-)

I hope things are looking up for you Jen (aka jkb) I hadn't been able to check the forum for a while, now. I'm glad to hear about the progress you've been making in getting all of that information.

As for me, I was able to call the Mental Health Crisis Line yesterday (I was in tears at this point) and the very nice and understanding woman I spoke to suggested calling Volunteer Ottawa. Volunteer Ottawa - #1 Volunteer Search in Ottawa They might be able to find someone willing to taxi people in our situation around. Checking their website, just now, it looks like there is an agency called the Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa NameBright - Coming Soon who match a volunteer citizen from the community to someone living with a disability one-to-one for practical help and support in community life. I wonder if they might be able to help.

Also, she suggested asking my doctor to sign a form declaring me as disabled, so I'd be eligible to use ParaTranspo. Which wasn't a bad idea at all, I thought! As you already receive ODSP, that may be a solution for you as well.

If you speak French at all, the Cognitive-Behavioral in-patient program and the group therapy programs at Montfort hospital are pretty good, and din't have a long waiting list when I was a participant. I started at the emergency room, actually (I was suicidal...), and got a call from a therapist willing to evaluate me the very next day. The ball kept rolling from there. However, a year and a half later, even with all the CBT knowledge and meds, I'm back to where I started... Don't get me wrong, though. I did feel almost normal for a good while...

I have no idea what the waiting times are like in other local hospitals...

I called the ADAO yesterday - left a message, asking about their companion program. I'll try again today.

I'm feeling rather decisive today, I think I'm going to call the CMHA and the PSO this afternoon, and let you know what results I get.

Best,
Mel

P.S: Yes!!!! It's totally normal to feel as worn out as you do. Stress, anxiety and the like use up a ton of energy... Don't feel bad or worried about feeling frazzled and tired. I've been there too - er, am there, actually. ;-)

Well, it's settled. The ADAO does not offer the volunteer companion program at this time. I got a phone call a little while ago.

They must be really understaffed and in need of volunteers...

I still haven't called the other places... My decisivness took a left turn and hasn't come back yet...

Well, it's settled. The ADAO does not offer the volunteer companion program at this time. I got a phone call a little while ago.

I still haven't called the other places... My decisivness took a left turn and hasn't come back yet...

jkb

sweetanise said:

As did i awhile ago. I haven' tbeen looking anywhere else since then due to just how you feel..

on top i'm battling with trying to keep services needed in my situation aka phone/net..so i've been on one journey this month that is making me so tired...and so frustrated.

There is indeed a lack of resourses avail. for us..big time.. :( :(

I am on Odsp..and am not eligible for para transpo..plus i would need someone with me or at least someone on the phone with me..

My doctor has been understanding..i'm suppose to raise my meds due to the stressors..and am starting tom.

I just got off the phone with odsp and they are trying to find a way for me to help keep phone/net..since that provider is horrible..to me..and i cannot afford what they ask of..which isn't right.
I'm due to be cut within a few days...

flustered and stressed out..

Jen.

if i ever get better i am going to def. be getting involved in agora and resourses as well as education. For it is so needed..

jkb

sweetanise said:

As did i awhile ago. I haven' tbeen looking anywhere else since then due to just how you feel..

on top i'm battling with trying to keep services needed in my situation aka phone/net..so i've been on one journey this month that is making me so tired...and so frustrated.

There is indeed a lack of resourses avail. for us..big time.. :( :(

I am on Odsp..and am not eligible for para transpo..plus i would need someone with me or at least someone on the phone with me..

My doctor has been understanding..i'm suppose to raise my meds due to the stressors..and am starting tom.

I just got off the phone with odsp and they are trying to find a way for me to help keep phone/net..since that provider is horrible..to me..and i cannot afford what they ask of..which isn't right.
I'm due to be cut within a few days...

flustered and stressed out..

Jen.

if i ever get better i am going to def. be getting involved in agora and resourses as well as education. For it is so needed..

Boy, do I ever know how you feel! Frustrated is exactly the right word. And I'm confused as to why there isn't more help and how come health professionals don't know about the ADAO's situation and can't seem to offer any other suggestions. However, I suspect that if you and I had any money, we'd have no problems whatsoever finding a psychologist or psychiatrist willing to go out of their way to do house-calls and get us started on gradual desensitization.

That's what makes me the most upset - you can't work, so not enough money comes in. Even if you weren't agoraphobic, you can't afford to even do basic shopping or go see a movie or even go for coffee, or, like you you, your services have threatened to cut you off. So you become more and more isolated. And you really, really need help, but that's super hard to find, and it's not like we're not looking. Most of the time places'll just suggest one another, not even realizing that they're just throwing the ball back and forth. ROH says call ADAO. ADAO says call CMHA, CMHA says call ROH. When finally you do find an organization that could help, there are long waiting lists to contend with. You personal doctor is so overwhelmed with patients and your therapist is so out of the loop (at least mine is) that they suggest the same places or don't know of any other resources, don't know that some places no longer offer what they're suggesting, can't think of anything else to say. Then they prescribe more meds. Or worse. All that's left is self-help and that's not working for me!!!!!!!!

By the way, Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa NameBright - Coming Soon is definitely an option for us, but there's a year-long waiting list.

When all is said and done, when your support system is crubling before your eyes and you know you can't and/or don't want to have to rely on family and friends, what is there left to do? Have yourself interned in a psych ward? I wonder...

And you can be sure that I too will get involved in helping others if I ever get out of this

Mel

Boy, do I ever know how you feel! Frustrated is exactly the right word. And I'm confused as to why there isn't more help and how come health professionals don't know about the ADAO's situation and can't seem to offer any other suggestions. However, I suspect that if you and I had any money, we'd have no problems whatsoever finding a psychologist or psychiatrist willing to go out of their way to do house-calls and get us started on gradual desensitization.

That's what makes me the most upset - you can't work, so not enough money comes in. Even if you weren't agoraphobic, you can't afford to even do basic shopping or go see a movie or even go for coffee, or, like you you, your services have threatened to cut you off. So you become more and more isolated. And you really, really need help, but that's super hard to find, and it's not like we're not looking. Most of the time places'll just suggest one another, not even realizing that they're just throwing the ball back and forth. ROH says call ADAO. ADAO says call CMHA, CMHA says call ROH. When finally you do find an organization that could help, there are long waiting lists to contend with. You personal doctor is so overwhelmed with patients and your therapist is so out of the loop (at least mine is) that they suggest the same places or don't know of any other resources, don't know that some places no longer offer what they're suggesting, can't think of anything else to say. Then they prescribe more meds. Or worse. All that's left is self-help and that's not working for me!!!!!!!!

By the way, Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa NameBright - Coming Soon is definitely an option for us, but there's a year-long waiting list.

When all is said and done, when your support system is crubling before your eyes and you know you can't and/or don't want to have to rely on family and friends, what is there left to do? Have yourself interned in a psych ward? I wonder...

And you can be sure that I too will get involved in helping others if I ever get out of this

Mel

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mel, in the past I have occasionally managed housecalls and previously had a colleague who would do that. One problem is that this is a profession and to many of us a "calling" of sorts, but it is also a business -- we all have families to support, bills to pay, office expenses, mortgages, etc. If I were to go to a client's house as you suggest, I would need to charge for my time -- not only the session time but the travel time to and from my office, basically to cover income I would otherwise be earning at my office. When one's practice grows beyond a certain poijnt, it isn't feasible either financially or in terms of available time to do what you suggest.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mel, in the past I have occasionally managed housecalls and previously had a colleague who would do that. One problem is that this is a profession and to many of us a "calling" of sorts, but it is also a business -- we all have families to support, bills to pay, office expenses, mortgages, etc. If I were to go to a client's house as you suggest, I would need to charge for my time -- not only the session time but the travel time to and from my office, basically to cover income I would otherwise be earning at my office. When one's practice grows beyond a certain poijnt, it isn't feasible either financially or in terms of available time to do what you suggest.

jkb

First, I have to wait till maybe tues or so to hear IF anything can be done to hlep me..with my services..I need my net..that is the only source that has been of any help /aka my support system, the way i communicate right now, howi look things up, how i do my groceries, banking etc etc..without this and a phone..i am in the dark completely!

But by then it may be to late for my provider is NOT nice at all..they just don't want to co operate with me..i told them i'd give them all i had left ..if they couldjust hold on..their response "we'll see"..nice :( :( :(

For the most part like u said sweetanise I/we have been the ones looking/researching for help..not our doctors..us..and then like you said we end up back to square one..and even more lost..and scared...and frustrated and stressed galore.
There really is lack of education, resources and funding about agora..and something NEEDS to be done about this all..I know we can't be theo only 2 people in Ottawa/Ontario..

yes my thinking to..but for what again? for a few days as i've been told? IF that. Then you are right back to where you were!

I totally understand David Baxter about you needing to charge etc. That is feasible and understandable..but i thik what we are trying to say or i am, is so what happens to us? where are sliding fees?/payment options? Some of us like I DO need a therapist, but can't get there..do to the fear /anxiety etc..yet we want the help. I guess the thing to is its sad..those that want help a lot of times can't due to all the reasons we've stated..

hence we are left more so in the dark..more afraid and NOT getting better..and that isn't right :(

Jen

jkb

First, I have to wait till maybe tues or so to hear IF anything can be done to hlep me..with my services..I need my net..that is the only source that has been of any help /aka my support system, the way i communicate right now, howi look things up, how i do my groceries, banking etc etc..without this and a phone..i am in the dark completely!

But by then it may be to late for my provider is NOT nice at all..they just don't want to co operate with me..i told them i'd give them all i had left ..if they couldjust hold on..their response "we'll see"..nice :( :( :(

For the most part like u said sweetanise I/we have been the ones looking/researching for help..not our doctors..us..and then like you said we end up back to square one..and even more lost..and scared...and frustrated and stressed galore.
There really is lack of education, resources and funding about agora..and something NEEDS to be done about this all..I know we can't be theo only 2 people in Ottawa/Ontario..

yes my thinking to..but for what again? for a few days as i've been told? IF that. Then you are right back to where you were!

I totally understand David Baxter about you needing to charge etc. That is feasible and understandable..but i thik what we are trying to say or i am, is so what happens to us? where are sliding fees?/payment options? Some of us like I DO need a therapist, but can't get there..do to the fear /anxiety etc..yet we want the help. I guess the thing to is its sad..those that want help a lot of times can't due to all the reasons we've stated..

hence we are left more so in the dark..more afraid and NOT getting better..and that isn't right :(

Jen

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.