More threads by sammy

sammy

Ok, I'm risking here, as someone might visit that knows me...
(I run a forum too).

I really love what I read in this forum...
I thank David for having the courage to start it... it has enormous potential for good... if I can I will help it's growth... whether that is to be numerically, or quality, I will try to post with integrity, (which is so important to me, and I know others).

OK...
Born June '59... mom English (B'ham), dad Irish (Dublin).

Eldest of 3... next sibling a bruv born approx 3 yrs after me... and then a sister, 5 years after me....

Mom says they never had any probs with me- compliant- good..

Till I reached 13 !!!! (I know)!!

Still hated hurting my mom and dad- loved them so very very much... but had to become me.

Can't write more just yet.. will later... sorry...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
sammy said:
Ok, I'm risking here, as someone might visit that knows me... (I run a forum too).
Post or send me the URL, Sammy. If the focus of your forum is related, I'd be happy to help promote it if you wish (see the Other Resources category). On the other hand, I understand if you prefer not to make it easy for people to make the connection between your forum and this one (the privacy/anonymity issue I mean).

I really love what I read in this forum...
I thank David for having the courage to start it... it has enormous potential for good... if I can I will help it's growth... whether that is to be numerically, or quality, I will try to post with integrity, (which is so important to me, and I know others).
Thank you, Sammy - you are already making a contribution here...

Mom says they never had any probs with me- compliant- good.
My mom always said the same... well, not necessarily compliant but "never gave me a moment's trouble" was a phrase she used a lot - my sisters hated that ;o)

Till I reached 13 !!!! (I know)!! Still hated hurting my mom and dad- loved them so very very much... but had to become me.
I've often observed that the closer the relationship between parent and child, the harder the child has to push away to get to a measure of the independence that is necessary for us all to achieve.

sammy

Continued...

Had a mixed time as a teenager (in the good old 70's ) :)...
Loved the music... had a few good friends... was involved in a lot of drinking, discos, clubs, pubs... many relationships... most not very good ones...
At 17 was in a violent one.. with someone I now know was a bully...
Used to knock me about a lot and tried to strangle me once...
when I got out of that after a year or so, (just before we were due to get engaged)... I just went from one 'relationship' to another, drinking more and more...
(I think, looking back, my self-esteem was pretty much destroyed through the physical and mental violence...)
That went on till I was about 22 and got into another long term relationship...
I had to come out of that one, because he couldn't commit...and I was looking at the spiritual side of life...more deeply...and felt there should be more...I was so empty that I had room for God at last...

I did various jobs over the next 6 years including training in counselling (after receiving counselling myself a few times)...
Came through a deep depression which lasted 9 months in '87.

..About 14/15 months in a hospital, training in psychiatric nursing...
strange thing... I couldn't cope with the compulsory 3 months in general nursing, and quit during that time...
I think I was afraid I would kill someone!! The ward sister was awful and during handovers would say that all 'yampy' old men should be shot ... referring to the mentally ill ones on the ward...and other derogatory things about mentally ill people, knowing it would upset us...
Also she used to say things like... 'I don't trust you psychy nurses - do the T.P.R.'s again...'
We just weren't physically shown what to do with things like changing drips etc...
Anyway- straightaway, got a job with M.I.N.D. a U.K. Mental Health charity...working in a hostel with people diagnosed schizophrenic.

During that time I had got married, and as I was approaching 30, we decided we wanted to try for a child...so I left my job as it could be violent in the hostels sometimes...and became pregnant straightaway :)

We now have a son (14) and a daughter (11), who are wonderful...and I have remained at home for them...

momof5

Sammy,
Wow, you have been through it. But, and this is important, You have come through it pretty great!

Kids are wonderful aren't they? (hint, my screen name ;>) ) I adore my children, ranging in ages from 22-11. 4b 1g. My daughter is getting married in January, though I wish she would wait. I have lots of reservations right now with this and it increases.

I also have a forum which david promotes in here, and I am eternally grateful for!

Its a pleasure to meet you!

sammy

Hi Mom of 5... I'm on your forum under my real name :)
I have thyroid problems ( a clue ha ha ha )... I found this forum through yours... :)

momof5

sammy said:
Hi Mom of 5... I'm on your forum under my real name :)
I have thyroid problems ( a clue ha ha ha )... I found this forum through yours... :)

LOL! That is sooo cool! I know that David will be thrilled to read this one! Great connection.

I added a thyroid section in there today, I just need to add some things to it etc...

momof5

David Baxter said:
Glad you found your way there, Sammy...

I also am very happy that you found your way there, and thankful to David for promoting the site here. He's a pretty cool dude ;>)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.