More threads by Curious

Curious

I was never told to answer my thoughts if they were emotional, so I just let them control me. It is my hope that, that thought is a good excuse out of I was never told to question them. I now do and understand (with the help of this forum I do). I accepted any emotion, but not any more. I do not understand how ones emotions could harm you physically and spiritually, other than they want to control you, and I have not received a answer yet. I was convinced I was High Strung and have ADHD. I do not have ADHD, but do have High Strung tendencies which I am now seeing a Doctor and a Psychiatrist about.

The argument was that High Strung tendentcies are affiliated with ADHD or vice versa. But the psychiatrist also suggested I may have a personality irregularity that resembles High Strung and ADHD and with visits can be helped. Personality irregularity was caused by my parents alcoholism. I am happy with the personality irregularity diagnosis it fits perfectly with my raising and can be taken care of. Thank you for listening. use to be high strung and adhd.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Answering Ones Emotions.

I accepted any emotion, but not any more.

Emotions are not bad per se. In some cases, accepting them rather than fighting them can help a lot. For example, acknowledging sadness or depression but doing the opposite of the emotion to feel better -- like going outside for a walk.

Similarly:

Emotions themselves do not inhibit the therapeutic process, but people's inability to manage emotions and use them well is seen as the problem. Emotions are connected to our most essential needs. Therefore, the focus on emotions is a common factor among various systems of psychotherapy

Emotionally focused therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And: 5 Steps to Change How You Feel

Curious

Because of my parents they never taught me how to handle my emotions. I've been told that if one cannot or does not handle them then they allow it to control them. I cannot understand why ones emotions would want to handle them.

It's like their emotions are capable of understanding their mind and there mind tells them what is right for them?

To me my mind is my spirit/soul which I cannot see, but yet I hear a voice which I cannot see, therefore I have a soul/spirit within me.

As I understand it all three the mind brain and body work together, yet one of these entities might disagree and we get problems, physically and mentally/emotionally. Therefore who controls whom? Since we all are individuals, what's good for one might not be for the other? For me it's go to bed and day dream or watch Star trek. Thanks for writing. I was high strung and do not have adhd, it might be a personality problem. Paul

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

For me it's go to bed and day dream or watch Star trek.

Yes, distraction is one good strategy, though too much distraction may be a form of avoidance.

I usually wind down at the end of the day by watching Star Trek (The Next Generation) before going to sleep. Some of the shows are pretty deep about human psychology.

Curious

I still am in a question situation about how to understand, how my emotions work. It's as if they want to control me and not vice versa. How they know what the emotional problem is I will never know. If it's physical then I understand that a little. If it's spiritual I am somewhat confused. Remember Adam and Eve and Satan? There has to be a rational answer somewhere! I now think I have the physical part down to a reason, it's the spiritual part that I am still trying to understand. I hear a voice in my mind and see the thoughts down on this screen.

I am now studying what I think the mind is saying and if it's logical to my situation I will address it. If I think it is not logical to my situation I will erase it for my mind. I love this forum and you all have been a Godsend to and for me. I am now happy with my new personality suggestion by my mental health tech, I can't spell psyciatrist. Thanks for being there for me. Use to be high strung and had adhd. Paul

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.