More threads by boi

boi

I made an earlier appointment with my T. I dont think I could wait for my normal one. I feel kinda needy. I am obsessing that my T wont like it that I made an earlier one. I know Im being paranoid but I guess I just want reassurance that its ok that I made and earlier app and my T wont be mad.

Halo

Re: appointments

Boi,

That is awesome that you made an earlier appointment. I can tell you that your therapist will not be mad at you and you are not being needy. If anything it shows that you want to get better and are willing to help yourself by reaching out for additional help when needed. I think that it shows your strength and courage to ask for help and accept it. I believe that your therapist is going to be happy you reached out as well.

I have had my fair share of therapists over the years and never has one been upset because I wanted or needed an extra session. It has always been seen as a good step in the right direction.

Take care and good luck with your appointment.

boi

thanks Halo....thanks for the reassurance. Logically I dont think my T will be annoyed either..I've just been so obsessed lately with everything I have been doing hence the new appointment
thanks though

Banned

Banned

I agree with Halo as well, boi. I think it's great that you're claiming what you need, in this case another (or earlier) appointment. That definitely shows signs of strength and that's what therapists like to see - strength and growth. Good job!

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator

I agree with what Halo and Turtle have said Boi.

I am proud of you for reaching out to your therapist and I am sure your therapist will be proud of you too! :)

Hi Boi-

I'm not familiar with you or your situation, but as a therapist I generally appreciate and admire clients who are willing/able to ask for earlier sessions or more sessions. Therapists train to do therapy, and when a client wants to dive in and do the work, it's invigorating. It indicates the client appreciates what therapy can do and is eager to do the work. It's more opportunity to do what we love. In addition, I find therapy is much more productive when meetings are more frequent. I believe meeting 2x per week makes therapy move more than twice as fast than once, for example. On the flip side, I believe every other week moves slower than 50% the pace of weekly sessions.

But back to your point. I enjoy the proactive, motivated client who knows his/her needs enough to ask for an earlier session. It means I'm working with a partner who is driven to grow and heal, and I get to do the work I love sooner or more frequently. Furthermore, if for some reason I didn't want to meet earlier, the responsibility is mine to say no and explain why. I believe clients should be able to say/ask for whatever they want, and it's the therapists job to honestly and clearly respond.

I hope this helped.

thank you for your feedback on this. it is really good to get a therapist's perspective and i think it is very important for those shy or worried about asking to hear this.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.