More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

i came across this sentence in another post...
The good ones will be more eclectic in their approaches.
it was written in relation to finding therapists. and methods they use in their therapy practices..

what does it mean in this context??

the therapist i met yesterday said he changes his approach\method?? depending on the needs of the person, what the person is dealing with etc, at the time. Is this what eclectic means??

another question ... is there a difference between a clinical psychologist and a regular (if that's the right word ?? ) psychologist or are they the same?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: approaches to therapy

i came across this sentence in another post...

it was written in relation to finding therapists. and methods they use in their therapy practices..

what does it mean in this context??

the therapist i met yesterday said he changes his approach\method?? depending on the needs of the person, what the person is dealing with etc, at the time. Is this what eclectic means??

Yes, pretty much. I would describe my approach to therapy as eclectic, although it is based on and most heavily influenced by the client-centered approach described by Carl Rogers. What it means is that I adapt the strategies and techniques ised in therapy on an individualized basis depending on the client and the client's stage in therapy.

A therapist who describes himself as "Freudian" or "Psychoanalytic" or "Adlerian" or "Cognitive-Behavioral" is probably telling you (in most cases) that he uses that approach exclusively or primarily. For example, I know of a few psychologists in the Ottawa area who use CBT exclusively.

another question ... is there a difference between a clinical psychologist and a regular (if that's the right word ?? ) psychologist or are they the same?

A clinical psychologist simply describes a psychologist who deals with (provides therapy for) clinical issues, i.e., a psychologist you would consult to deal with depression, anxiety, family or relationship issues, etc. Typically, a registered psychologist or licensed psychologist is one who is accredited by the licensing board for his profession. The term "psychologist" used alone does not necessarily mean that the individual does not "do therapy" but there are other types of psychologists - for example, psychologists who work in research or teaching exclusively, or who provide consulting only to organizations.

Most of the time, someone listed in the phone book as a psychologist will be a clinical psychologist, unless otherwise specified.

foghlaim

thanks David.. for answering these questions..
I was thinking to myself that i may not be too far off the mark with the word eclectic..but needed some clarification on it, to be sure of my interpretation.

The word clinical in relation to psychologists I never understood.. tho have seen this term used many times.. Now I understand the significance of it.

thanks for taking the time to explain these terms to me. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.