More threads by Eunoia

Eunoia

is there such a thing as people never worrying about their diets or weight management? I mean, coming from a background where food is an issue, this kind of viewpoint seems impossible to me, but in general, is it possible for some people not to worry about these things? I mean there's always so much in the media about fad diets and exercise routines and the best way to drop "X" amount of weight in "x" amount of time, but do any of you never worry about this? Or does everyone "worry" to some extent b/c they want to be healthy (as one possible reason) but they don't take it to the extreme where their thoughts about diet and weight management are "abnormal" or out of control or unhealthy?

Are there people out there who just don't care? If you do pay attention to this somewhat, how do you not let it rule your thoughts 24/7?? I guess a lot has to do with being happy w/ who you are as a person, in spite of the physical appearance...

what does everyone think???

Eunoia

is there such a thing as people never worrying about their diets or weight management? I mean, coming from a background where food is an issue, this kind of viewpoint seems impossible to me, but in general, is it possible for some people not to worry about these things? I mean there's always so much in the media about fad diets and exercise routines and the best way to drop "X" amount of weight in "x" amount of time, but do any of you never worry about this? Or does everyone "worry" to some extent b/c they want to be healthy (as one possible reason) but they don't take it to the extreme where their thoughts about diet and weight management are "abnormal" or out of control or unhealthy?

Are there people out there who just don't care? If you do pay attention to this somewhat, how do you not let it rule your thoughts 24/7?? I guess a lot has to do with being happy w/ who you are as a person, in spite of the physical appearance...

what does everyone think???

Mhefner

are there people who don't worry about this?

As I have gotten older (42) I watch what I eat for two reasons, one is for a nice apperance, and the other is for my health.I do think about it on a daily basis, so I can splurge from time to time. It's kinda like knowing you need to drive the speed limit but you don't have to see the posted signs, because you've driven the road before and it comes natural.Does that make sense? (unless you are one who speeds frequently?)

Mhefner

As I have gotten older (42) I watch what I eat for two reasons, one is for a nice apperance, and the other is for my health.I do think about it on a daily basis, so I can splurge from time to time. It's kinda like knowing you need to drive the speed limit but you don't have to see the posted signs, because you've driven the road before and it comes natural.Does that make sense? (unless you are one who speeds frequently?)

ThatLady

There are people who really don't give a lot of thought to foods, eating, weight and the like. I'm one of them. ;-)

ThatLady

There are people who really don't give a lot of thought to foods, eating, weight and the like. I'm one of them. ;-)

Diana

Before I developed an ed - or even before that - before I really started trying to lose weight, if I wanted the deep fried ice cream for desert at Mexicali Rosa's I wouldn't even think twice about not having it. However, even at that stage in my life I still thought about my weight. Especially when high school started. I was a small child who never thought about weight or dieting, I started to gain some weight as a preteen, and I still didn't think about weight or diet, and then sometime in high school my self esteem dropped, I did think about my body image, and towards the end of high school I made a real effort to lose weight. I lost a bit of weight and everyone thought I looked great. But, after that, in university, it just excellerated.
I'm not sure if there are any adults in at least Western society who have never, or don't think about their weight or body image from time to time. Almost every (or maybe every) woman I know has thought about it enough, but not enough to develop an ed. Some people are comfortable enough to make jokes about their own bodies without any major concerns and without being self conscious, but the THOUGHT is still there.
So, I can't answer your question exactly unless I interviewed a lot of people. However, I never thought about it as a small child. Maybe children are just so innocent, and unfortunately this innocence gets taken away from them sometimes. And you're right - socialization plays a major part in this.

Diana

Before I developed an ed - or even before that - before I really started trying to lose weight, if I wanted the deep fried ice cream for desert at Mexicali Rosa's I wouldn't even think twice about not having it. However, even at that stage in my life I still thought about my weight. Especially when high school started. I was a small child who never thought about weight or dieting, I started to gain some weight as a preteen, and I still didn't think about weight or diet, and then sometime in high school my self esteem dropped, I did think about my body image, and towards the end of high school I made a real effort to lose weight. I lost a bit of weight and everyone thought I looked great. But, after that, in university, it just excellerated.
I'm not sure if there are any adults in at least Western society who have never, or don't think about their weight or body image from time to time. Almost every (or maybe every) woman I know has thought about it enough, but not enough to develop an ed. Some people are comfortable enough to make jokes about their own bodies without any major concerns and without being self conscious, but the THOUGHT is still there.
So, I can't answer your question exactly unless I interviewed a lot of people. However, I never thought about it as a small child. Maybe children are just so innocent, and unfortunately this innocence gets taken away from them sometimes. And you're right - socialization plays a major part in this.

momof5

Hi Eunoia

I have always had a weight problem, from child hood up. In my teens I became anerexia and bulemic.

I think that just caused further weight problems for me though.

21 years ago I lost the left side of my thyroid, causing even more of a weight problem.

I found a diet doctor after the birth of my 4th child and lost dramatically. I was down to 138. I gained back a bit of it, but still managed to maintain my weight until I became pregnant with my 5th child. Since then it has been a constant battle. I tried years ago to quit smoking and gained 50 pounds. Of which I am battling still to loose.

Now the right side of my thyroid is swollen up. And I worry about loosing tht so much that since the diagnosis was made last week to have testing done, I keep puting it off.

I suppose because I don't want to think about it, and if I dn't think about it and know something is wrong, I'll keep loosing the weight if I work hard.

I also have what is called a lazy stomach, which means that my stomach doesn't digest as quick as other peoples stomachs do. And because of this, I can't eat large amounts of food. I eat very small amounts, and not 3 times a day as I should.

And society does play a giant roll in this as well. If you look at how much emphasis is placed on how models look, then you can see how this plays into what people think about their weight. And you know, most of them are bulemic and anorexic as well.

I think that we need to find a way to be happy with our inner selves first. We are all special people. Unique in all sorts of ways. If we work on that, then maybe we won't think about the weight as much? Though we can still work on it.

Exercise is difficult for me with chronic pain and back issues. I used to love to dance, now if I try this when a song comes on when no body is around, lol, I enjoy it, but I pay for it in the long run ;>)

IF you enjoy dancing, do so, take walks, go for bike rides. Think about who you are, and not what your weight is.

momof5

Hi Eunoia

I have always had a weight problem, from child hood up. In my teens I became anerexia and bulemic.

I think that just caused further weight problems for me though.

21 years ago I lost the left side of my thyroid, causing even more of a weight problem.

I found a diet doctor after the birth of my 4th child and lost dramatically. I was down to 138. I gained back a bit of it, but still managed to maintain my weight until I became pregnant with my 5th child. Since then it has been a constant battle. I tried years ago to quit smoking and gained 50 pounds. Of which I am battling still to loose.

Now the right side of my thyroid is swollen up. And I worry about loosing tht so much that since the diagnosis was made last week to have testing done, I keep puting it off.

I suppose because I don't want to think about it, and if I dn't think about it and know something is wrong, I'll keep loosing the weight if I work hard.

I also have what is called a lazy stomach, which means that my stomach doesn't digest as quick as other peoples stomachs do. And because of this, I can't eat large amounts of food. I eat very small amounts, and not 3 times a day as I should.

And society does play a giant roll in this as well. If you look at how much emphasis is placed on how models look, then you can see how this plays into what people think about their weight. And you know, most of them are bulemic and anorexic as well.

I think that we need to find a way to be happy with our inner selves first. We are all special people. Unique in all sorts of ways. If we work on that, then maybe we won't think about the weight as much? Though we can still work on it.

Exercise is difficult for me with chronic pain and back issues. I used to love to dance, now if I try this when a song comes on when no body is around, lol, I enjoy it, but I pay for it in the long run ;>)

IF you enjoy dancing, do so, take walks, go for bike rides. Think about who you are, and not what your weight is.

ThatLady

Actually, eating three times a day isn't the ideal. It's more a tradition. The best way to eat is more like five or six small meals daily, according to most studies. :)

ThatLady

Actually, eating three times a day isn't the ideal. It's more a tradition. The best way to eat is more like five or six small meals daily, according to most studies. :)

momof5

That is how my son in the marines eats. And he sticks to it as much as possible. when we were out visiting him he made sure that he got in his meals while we were out doing things.
And He says that the portion sizes should be no larger then your fist.

momof5

That is how my son in the marines eats. And he sticks to it as much as possible. when we were out visiting him he made sure that he got in his meals while we were out doing things.
And He says that the portion sizes should be no larger then your fist.

ThatLady

He's on target, hon. There's no good to be found in stuffing oneself, if one is really trying to eat in a healthy manner.

ThatLady

He's on target, hon. There's no good to be found in stuffing oneself, if one is really trying to eat in a healthy manner.

momof5

He is a good kid as well. He just made sergent. I was so happy for him. He was recomended within his first two years of being a marine. But they have to wait to accomplish certain things before they can become one.

But, I'd be proud of him even if he was home with me and had not decide his life course yet. And he knows that.

momof5

He is a good kid as well. He just made sergent. I was so happy for him. He was recomended within his first two years of being a marine. But they have to wait to accomplish certain things before they can become one.

But, I'd be proud of him even if he was home with me and had not decide his life course yet. And he knows that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.