More threads by zebra sparkle

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well, they are various ways of trying to treat the symptom that may be helpful -- look at sleep cycle factors -- how soundly does he sleep?, diet, caffeine-alcohol-other fluids intake and the timing of those, general health issues (e.g., rule out bladder irritation and similar things), various behavior modification techniques for waking the sleeper, etc.

However, my first question would be to what extent has the person therapeutically addressed the issue of the sexual abuse?

Laurie

What is the connection here? I forgot, I wet the bed until I was in fourth grade. If it's true and I was abused, it would have been when I was VERY young by one person and younger than second grade by the other person. How do I know if this is connected or not?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Laurie, I think that the original post was not about inferring sexual abuse from the "symptom" of enuresis but rather a known case of sexual abuse (in an adolescent boy) resulting in a problem with enuresis -- and how to treat that.

He has been in counselling for a number of issues since April,where the the SA, has been touched on, but not explored in depth, and I know the guy is reluctant to speak about the bed/W too much, so I just wanted to pass on a bit of advice to him if I could, in the mean time, until he addresses it properly with his therapist.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
zebra sparkle said:
He has been in counselling for a number of issues since April,where the the SA, has been touched on, but not explored in depth, and I know the guy is reluctant to speak about the bed/W too much, so I just wanted to pass on a bit of advice to him if I could, in the mean time, until he addresses it properly with his therapist.
Well, as I said, restricting fluids later in the evening,having someone wake him up during the night, maybe dietary changes... these may help with the symptoms, although he'd probably get better advice from a urologist.

If it is indeed a reaction to the sexual abuse, though, these efforts may have limited impact until that "core problem" is addressed.

So do you feel that if it is a psychological problem, as a result of the SA, it won't cease until he has addressed his feelings over the SA?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I may be wrong, of course, but that would be my guess. As I said, I'd recommend he see a urologist, if only to rule out a physical basis. But if it is primarily psychogenic, then I would suspect that addressing these symptoms may decrease but not eliminate the problem.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.