More threads by Christy

Christy

My husband wants me to go to Homewood. I really don't want to go. It scares the you know what out of me. To have no control over what I can and can't do. I don't/won't do group therapy or art thearpy for example. I have suffered depression for years and my mind just got out of it recently. He won't leave me btw if I don't go. But he would be happy if I go. I love him very much. But I don't know if I can do this. Has anyone been pushed into going or is being pushed? I don't know what to do. I'm very independant and don't like to be told what to do. Any suggestions? I can say more but I think this is long enough for a 1st post.

Banned

Banned
Re: Being Pushed To Go To Homewood.

Hi Christy,

Welcome to Psychlinks.

It sounds like your husband cares very much for you and wants to see you get better. His suggestion of going to Homewood is what he sees as an opportunity for you.

However...we all know the saying of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." It might be that for you, its not the right time. I believe you have to be motivated and want the change, or its just not going to happen.

Do you have other sources of support, such as a current therapist you see on a regular basis? Are you taking any medication for your depression?

Yuray

Re: Being Pushed To Go To Homewood.

I have suffered depression for years and my mind just got out of it recently.
Why does your husband want you to go to Homewood? Are there other issues (apart from the depression that you mention you have under control)?

Christy

Homewood is for depressed/bi-polar/alcholics/eating disorder people and whom ever I left out of the like. It's like a little town. You stay there for a minimum of 4 weeks for intensive psychological training. They have group therapy, art therapy, nutrition education and exercise like a 1/2 hour walk every morning. Your assigned a nurse. I don't know the whole story I just looked at the site. You can google it.
-Christy

Banned

Banned
I had a friend who spent four months at Homewood and has nothing but wonderful things to say about it. It gave her her life back. She went for an eating disorder, but as you say, they address a variety of issues. Let me tell you, if we had something like that where I live, and I could have actually put my life on hold for four months, when I was at my worst, I wouldn't have hesitated for a minute to go.

Christy

OK, I'm scared to go. I don't like all the programs. And will cry my eyes out to go. I'm not a team player in therapy. And don't like being basically forced to go. I've hid my problems from my family all my life. They won't understand why I'm going for so long. But I know you'd probably say that that doesn't matter. I need proper drugs. I'm on Zeldox only right now. My pschiatrist isn't the best at medicating me. I've had a two month stay at Women's College Hospital years ago and that did not help me. I left when my depression lifted on it's own. I've been in "day care" and that did no good. I'm jaded. I'm a tough nut to crack because of all this. :D I'm not vey good at talking about myself. I feel like if I just had the right meds I could funtion. I know that I am a good kind thoughful person btw. Two months away is a long time for me. Like I said I'm scared to death to go. I don't know what to do.
-Christy

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Two months away is a long time for me. Like I said I'm scared to death to go. I don't know what to do.
As others have mentioned, what about individual therapy? Some people will see a therapist twice a week if they aren't doing well, e.g. have more suicidal thinking than usual, and can afford it.

Banned

Banned
I agree with Daniel - going to Homewood if you haven't tried or aren't currently in regular therapy might be going from an "nothing to all" approach...regular therapy might be a good, happy medium, along with perhaps reviewing and reassessing your current medications.

Christy

I don't know what to say about talk therapy. I've talked to my psych but they never really talk back at all. All I'd think to say is sundry stuff. Like I hate my neighbour, but he's moving thank God! :2thumbs: Such a LOUD Rude jerk. I live in a town house condo. How can talking about a deep depression I was in help me when my brain did it and I don't know why. .
-Christy

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How can talking about a deep depression I was in help me when my brain did it and I don't know why. .
Talking about the past may not help that much except as it pertains to the present.

Therapy such as CBT can help increase "cognitive flexibility," making it more difficult to maintain negative patterns of thinking.
For example: Dysfunctional Belief Systems

Kathy R

Account Closed
If I were you I would get a new doctor. If you know other people who are having problems ask them who they go to and if the like the doctor. I would definitely try to get the meds sorted out and individual therapy b4 committing to something you are not comfortable. Your husband may feel that this place is what you need but he is not you. The decision is yours. I know how you feel about group therapy, it is not for everyone. I have run the gamut of most of these treatments and have made the decision that my problems are my responsibility and no one else's. I will do what I feel is best for me and I make sure I look at things with a positive attitude and stay away from negative people and situations. It really works. I feel better than ever right now

Christy

Thank you for the post Kathy. I appretiate what you've said. I think I'll ask my psychiatrist if she wants to refer me to someone else since she doesn't seem to know what to do with me. In Canada there aren't many psych's available to see though. Mine believes in a one drug therapy which I can't understand why.
I don't want a therapy were someone is telling me what I should be doing. I just want my symptoms under control, drug wise that is.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Mine believes in a one drug therapy which I can't understand why.
Yeah, that does seem unusual as a long-term strategy if a single drug at a higher dose is not doing the trick after a while.

I don't want a therapy were someone is telling me what I should be doing.
I've never had a therapist like that, Christy. One could say the vast majority of therapists use a client-centered approach or are largely influenced by it. My main point in showing CBT as an example was just to reiterate what others have said -- that there are options other than the inpatient program at Homewood for therapy, psychological skills training, etc.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.