More threads by shatteredspirit

Does anyone else have a problem breathing in T?? I've been in t for years, but this has just started happening recently.

This has been happening off and on to me, when I get "little" I stop breathing. Sometimes it is because I feel like my chest won't expand and I can't take a deep breath. Other times it feels like something is blocking my airway.

Today it was different, I felt very very little and I stopped breathing. I didn't feel any pressure in my chest to make me breath. I felt like I was very far away and that there was no reason for me to breathe. I don't know how long I held my breath, but I suddenly realized that my T kept telling me to breathe. This happened several times today, and I don't understand what is causing it.

Today I felt very small, I felt at one point that I was as small as a baby. I opened my eyes and my T seemed very big to me.

So...has anyone else experienced this?? Why would I stop breathing? Sometimes I feel the pressure building in me to make me breathe, today I felt like I could have held my breath forever, there was no need for air, I really didn't even feel like I was holding my breath. I also felt very far away at this time, almost to the point of feeling unconscious.

Any comments??? Does this make any sense??

g-scared

I think you make perfect sense.? It maybe something psychosomatic.? I haven't had too much experience with T, but I used to get really upset to the point of vomiting sometimes.? It is the most intense physcal reaction I've had to an emotional topic, and it would not surprise me that you are experiencing something similar.? How long has this been going on for?

I guess what I was experiencing was mostly grief, stress, and lack of taking good care of my body.? I found that although I always sacrificed my wellbeing worrying about others it was comforting to do little things like take a shower, and get some sleep.? It was advised to me by my friend's dad.? They were really simple things, but comforting enough.? They were also some of the only times I could be alone, not think too much, and relax rather than stress out.?

I know it's not much.? Hope you feel better though.

Halo

Hi Shatteredspirit (SP)

I can relate to what you are going through. While in T I tend to have a hard time breathing also. I am also on guard alot. My Dr. keeps telling me to breath and to relax (i.e. let my shoulders drop) and to get comfortable. I also take it a step further and I have trouble moving. I tend to freeze and not want to move. I have realized that the reason I do this is the fear of how I am going to look if I move too much or if I am breathing to heavy. I know that it is pretty stupid but unless I feel completely safe and non-judged (which judgment is normally taking place in my own head) then I cannot relax.

Anyway, sorry for making it all about me... I just wanted to let you know that I can completely relate to you.

Take Care
Nancy

Diana

I can't relate to your experience exactly, but there have been a few times in my life when suddenly my chest just got really heavy and my throat seemed to close up and I had a hard time breathing. All I can remember about those few times is that they seemed to be about the time that something stressful (positive or negative) was going on or a change in my life was about to occur. I've never felt like I didn't have to breath though. It's always been more of a scary experience for me in which I tell myself to be calm and not panick for air or else it will get worse. Sounds psychosomatic to me. Even my mom has experienced episodes when she's woken up and she can't breath. Usually after very stressful dreams. I don't think it's very unusual. It's good that your therapist knows about it though.

My therapist tells me I need to breathe all the time. :roll: I don't know why I do it. Maybe your experiencing a some kind of anxiety attack ? I hold my breathe and don't even know it. or when im up set

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.