More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sophos Anti-Rootkit: Free rootkit detection and removal tool

Rootkit scanning, detection and removal
Our free software, Sophos Anti-Rootkit scans, detects and removes any rootkit that is hidden on your computer using advanced rootkit detection technology.

Rootkits can lie hidden on computers and remain undetected by anti-virus software. Although new rootkits can be prevented from infecting the system, if you had any rootkits before you installed your anti-virus, they may never be revealed.

Removing rootkits without compromising system integrity is particularly challenging and needs to be done with care.

Simplified management
Using Sophos Anti-Rootkit is easy. Whether you use its simple graphical user interface or run it from the command line, you can easily detect and remove any rootkits on your computer.

Easy to use
Sophos Anti-Rootkit provides an extra layer of protection, by safely and reliably detecting and removing any rootkit that might already have hidden itself on your system.

Stay free of rootkits
As part of its complete protection of endpoint computers, Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection has an integrated detection functionality that removes and prevents them being installed onto your desktops, laptops and servers.

System requirements

Sophos Anti-Rootkit will support the following operating systems:
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows Server 2008
  • 64-bit platforms
Sophos Anti-Rootkit requires a minimum of 128 Mb RAM.
Download the latest version of Sophos Anti-Rootkit

Jackie

I went to download this only too find they want to know alot about you before you can, not happy giving out that amount of information just for a free scanner.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yeah. Not only that but when I downloaded and ran it it found about 150 files (all legitimate) that it claimed were suspicious (no reason given) but "no action recommended". That just seems like nonsense to me.

I would recommend that you install Windows Security Essentials as your primary real-time antimalware program and run manual scans with Malwarebytes periodically as a backup (this will also detect rootkits).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.