More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I restarted on Cipralex this past week after going off it for two weeks, after having been on it for only two weeks. I started back at the same dose I left off at - 10mg, which is not a high dose, I don't think.

Yesterday and today I have constant tingling in my mouth with odd little "spasms". It's driving me crazy. It's like eating Poprocks constantly. I didn't see this as a side-effect when I read the product monograph, so I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's not one I've heard of, although some people have reported experiencing a tingling sensation in the hands, arms, etc., for the first little while.

One thing to monitor is the possibility of an allergic reaction. This is rare. To be honest, I have never personally heard of a case with an SSRI but people can have allergic reactions to anything I guess. And an allergic reaction that involves puffiness or swelling in the lips, tongue, or eyes is one that you should take directly to the ER - it may be the start of an anaphylactic reaction which you don't want to play around with.

Banned

Banned
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I've been on the 10mg for five days now, which is longer than before. Before I did 5mg for about 8 days, and then 10mg for only two or three before I went off. So basically, this is the longest my body has been exposed to this dosage.

I'll keep an eye, and see what happens. The sensation is making me crazy, as I said, but maybe it'll pass (hopefully).

Banned

Banned
I never thought of that. I'll give it a couple of days and if there's still no relief I'll try that and see if it changes anything. Also, I'm *assuming* it's related to the Cipralex. There's always the possibility, of course, that it's not.

Banned

Banned
Details, details. <sigh> :)

I've done some more digging, and I really can't find anything that speaks to tingling and spasms in the mouth, cheeks, lips, and face. So, I am a bit concerned, but like I said, I'll see if they taper off over the next few days and disappear. I sure hope so. I don't need a hospital visit a week or two before I go on holidays.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Better now than while you're in Italy.

But I don't mean to alarm you. As I said, tingling of the skin has been reported before - why not the skin around or in the mouth? It may be just a transient medication thing.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Turtle. I have allergies to raspberries and pomegranates when I eat them. It is almost like the pins and needles when say my foot falls asleep. It efffects my lips, inside of my mouth and tongue. My lip also feels big, like when I come back from fillings at the dentist.

Are the spasms in your mouth too? Or are they like zaps, like electric jolts, in your head?

Banned

Banned
Hi NN,

What you're describing is how it feels. And it's just very minor involuntary muscle contractions. I can feel them, but I bet nobody would notice them. But yes, the pins and needles in my lips, tongue, and mouth is what it feels like.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi NN,

What you're describing is how it feels. And it's just very minor involuntary muscle contractions. I can feel them, but I bet nobody would notice them. But yes, the pins and needles in my lips, tongue, and mouth is what it feels like.

Is it constant Turtle, the pins and needles sensation, or just after you take the Cipralex?

Is there any way you can see your doctor tomorrow to discuss this?

I seem to remember that a lack of magnesium can produce those involuntary muscle twitches, are you by any chance a little dehydrated Turtle ?

Banned

Banned
Is it constant Turtle, the pins and needles sensation, or just after you take the Cipralex?

Is there any way you can see your doctor tomorrow to discuss this?

It only started yesterday, but yes, it's been constant since.

My doctor doesn't work on Mondays. (Must be nice :D)

I don't think it's anything urgent. Like I said to Dr. B, I'll see if it goes away on its own, or gets worse. If it gets worse over the next few days (as it builds in my system), I'll discontinue it and make an app't.

I'm sure it's nothing though.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.