More threads by forgetmenot

My therapist stated this medication to me I have looked it up and it scares me My therapist said he would start me at avery low dose because of my symptoms i have shown i would have to be watched carefully on it. the problem is both my twin sister and my daughter and my brother have reacted funny to antidepressants not this one in particular. I was told it was an antianxiety med but the description says antidepressant i don't know thinking thats all to me taking meds means i have given up on me to heal myself and perhaps it means i am acknowledging that i am indeed ill but i don't know somany thoughts in my head really wish i knew what to do FEAR is a very bad things sometimes as it prevents us from moving forward but it also send out red flags that protect us Mary

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: cipralex

Cipralex is more commonly known in the U.S. as Lexapro. In general, it is less likely to cause side effects compared to many other antidepressants:

Escitalopram is noted for its high selectivity of serotonin reuptake inhibition and as a result has fewer side effects...

Escitalopram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Similarly:
ABC News: Popular Antidepressants: How They Stack Up

I was told it was an antianxiety med but the description says antidepressant
Both are correct:
Treatment for Depression and Anxiety: Lexapro (Escitalopram Oxalate) Medication

Re: cipralex

thanks Daniel this site explained better the usage and side effects of this drug still thinking abt it but this helps thanks mary

Retired

my twin sister and my daughter and my brother have reacted funny to antidepressants not this one in particular

Mary,

Surprisingly when it comes to anti depressant medications, there is no "one formula fits all" or "one dosage fits all". It is for that reason, each person responds differently to each medication, and at different dosage levels.

Being treated for depression requires commitment and patience on behalf of the doctor and the patient. Most doctors are aware of this, so you need to be aware that your doctor will likely try you out on a variety of medications until the right one is found for your particular brain chemistry.

Sometimes a person may not tolerate a particular compound today, and a year later the same medication will provide relief...and vica versa.

Don't restrict your options based on the experience of others, because what may not work for them may well be the one that works for you.

ailsa

I am so glad to hear this Mary. I just started it three days ago and have been able to sleep through the night for the first time in over a year. I don't like it much though. I have zero motivation (but this may be from the depression itself). I am starting with 5 mg, added to 150 of Wellbutrin, which was great when it worked (only for a couple f months).

I saw a recent study in JAMA that concluded that only 30% of the most severe patients got real benefit from anti-depressive medication since it does not targert the correct area of the brain, and that 70% of patients, on the other hand, recovered withcognitive and behavioural therapy. I can afford the pills, but not the latter, so am really glad you posted this since most posts have issues with it.

I am terrified of withdrawal symptoms such as panic and anxiety if I continue taking and then wean off as others have posted. But something has to be done and i might try it for a few more weeks.

Thanks again Mary,

Ailsa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.