More threads by Been there Done that

Is it okay to take a clonozapen every other day if needed? My doctor says that every four days won't hurt but if I am getting panic attacks a few times a week is it okay to take one every other day? How about twice a week. (.5mg.)only?

Can I do this without getting addicted?

Banned

Banned
Re: clonozapen for panic

How was your Clonazepam prescribed? Mine is prescribed to take twice a day. Yours might be as needed. Everyone's threshold is different so you should probably be having this conversation with your doctor who can monitor your usage and provide some guidance or alternatives if needed.

In addition to the Clonazepam are you practicing any therapy techniques for anxiety such as cbt or mindfulness, etc?

I have spoken to my doctor. I was hoping a pharmacist could answer this question. Sorry turtle I am waiting for a doctor to answer this one.

---------- Post Merged at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:08 PM ----------

I am receiving CBT and aren't you addicted to klonopin taking it twice a day? How many milligrams are you taking?

Banned

Banned

It's prescribed for twice a day but I take it as needed, which isn't nearly that often.

Retired

To re-iterate Turtle's question:

How was your Clonazepam prescribed?

Was it prescribed to be taken at regular intervals such as daily, twice daily, or as needed and at what dose...0.5 mg each time?

Retired

Your doctor would not have prescribed it this way if there would have been concerns.

The dose is low and frequency of use, the way you describe it is minimal.

People run into trouble with benzodiazepines (minor tranquilizers) when they take them at unusually high doses for very long periods of time....this does not appear to be the case in your situation.

Your doctor has made a rational choice, using the medication appropriately and will likely evaluate the relief you are getting in a few months.

Your best advice is to keep the dialogue going with your doctor, to report your progress with symptom relief and if you experience any unusual effects, if any.

Clonazepam is a frequently prescribed medication for panic disorder and is used successfully by millions of people.

My doctor ok'd every four days with no addiction potential. I was hoping it wouldn't create addiction problems if I took a .5mg. evey other day or every three days. What do you think of this? Are any of you a pharmacist?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Addiction with benzodiazepines (or really any addictive substance) is a function of three factors:

• dose taken
  • frequency taken
  • length of time taken

If you take clonazepam in a large enough dose often enough for long enough, you will become addicted. If that happens, it doesn't mean the medication will be harming you but simply that if you wish to discontinue it at some point you will need to taper off very gradually to avoid or minimize withdrawal effects (primarily increases in anxiety and insomnia).

Your doctor has prescribed it to be used in a way that will minimize the risk of addiction. Any departures from his/her original instructions should be made in discussion with the doctor, who knows you and your medical history.

No one here can give you the sort of specific advice about medications you are requesting, and you should not rely on advice of that sort given to you online anywhere else - it is simply irresponsible, unethical, and dangerous.

That is why the rules of this forum specifically prohibit such advice.

I was on .5 mg twice a day as needed of this drug for several years. I never got addicted or felt dependent on it. It worked well for me.

Trust your doctor. :)

Banned

Banned
Everyone's experience with medication and addiction potential is going to be different, BTDT. If you are still having concerns about this medication, you should talk to you doctor and find out what alternatives are available to you.

I am sorry to bother you again with this, but I don't see my psychiatrist until April 3 and I don't want to call him b/c my therapist told me to not bother him. Did you mean when you said "Your doctor would not have prescribed it this way if there would have been concerns." Did you mean once every four days which was my psychiatrist's idea or did you mean every other day which is my idea?:coffee:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am sorry to bother you again with this, but I don't see my psychiatrist until April 3 and I don't want to call him b/c my therapist told me to not bother him. Did you mean when you said "Your doctor would not have prescribed it this way if there would have been concerns." Did you mean once every four days which was my psychiatrist's idea or did you mean every other day which is my idea?:coffee:

I had to review the previous page for that part of the conversation:

Was it prescribed to be taken at regular intervals such as daily, twice daily, or as needed and at what dose...0.5 mg each time?

as needed .5mg. but I was wondering if every other day can lead to addiction?

Your doctor would not have prescribed it this way if there would have been concerns.

The dose is low and frequency of use, the way you describe it is minimal.

People run into trouble with benzodiazepines (minor tranquilizers) when they take them at unusually high doses for very long periods of time....this does not appear to be the case in your situation.

Your doctor has made a rational choice, using the medication appropriately and will likely evaluate the relief you are getting in a few months.

Your best advice is to keep the dialogue going with your doctor, to report your progress with symptom relief and if you experience any unusual effects, if any.

Clonazepam is a frequently prescribed medication for panic disorder and is used successfully by millions of people.

Here is the relevant part:

as needed .5mg

When you are feeling anxious, take 0.5 mg. You can break the tablet in half (or even cut it into quarters using a pill cutter) if you wish. Take up to the prescribed dose of 0.5 mg as often as you need to to reduce ypour anxiety (in most cases, you will find you will not need more than one tablet every 6 - 12 hours or even 24 hours, but that depends on how high your anxiety is.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.