More threads by cosmo

cosmo

Has anyone here had experience of CAT (Cognitive Analytical Therapy)? I know the majority of this forum are Ca/USA based, and CAT is UK- centred, but I know there are some of you that may have encountered it.

For those of you going 'what?', here's an intro: ACAT Online - Introducing Cognitive Analytic Therapy [CAT]

Is this just 'Psychotherapy Lite', or am I being too harsh? Is it a more targetted or worthy approach than long term psychotherapy, or is it just money-saving? Should I move from long-term psychodynamic work to something more results-focused?

Right now I am about 12 months into private psychodynamic-focussed counselling. Previously I have had 12 months psychotherapy free on the NHS, but it wasn't enough and I had a small breakdown as a result of a poor ending. I can't afford much more private work, and want to see what I can get for free. CAT is a relatively new therapy in our area, and I would have to fight hard for it or get into a research program.

I have been diagnosed with a personality disorder and severe anxiety, with periods of major depression. It's mostly childhood-related stuff. I function, just. I am also a mother to two small kids! No, I am not sure how I do it either, and I feel like I am 'dropping the ball'. I am wondering if this very focussed approach with a rigid ending would suit better than open ended work. I do not trust easily, which is why it takes so long to get anywhere!

:confused:

Any advice from people who have encountered this, have expertise, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Sounds the same as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...

My understanding is that it depends on the individual. For some it might help to have either a physician or psychiatrist who can also provide medication (in some cases it may help in the case of antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds, for example, to help one gain some stability) and consult (if necessary) with the psychologist.

I feel CBT/CAT worked very well for me, and my physician provided an anti-anxiety prescription for the first few months. At first I went every week, and then every month, and then every few months... And this lasted for a period of about 2 years. But a psychologist might recommend other options. Or the client can ask more about more options: if you try CAT/CBT and you don't think the method is enough, feel free to express your concerns. It is your right.

But keep in mind, CBT is getting you to figure out ways you can help yourself. It can be very powerful if you are motivated. My understanding is that sometimes the motivation slackens or is completely lost in some individuals for various reasons, so sometimes there may be a need to revisit and get re-positioned.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It seems to be an attempt to integrate principles and techniques of CBT with some older dynamic approaches to psychotherapy, e.g., object relations theory and psychoanalytic approaches.

I would say most good therapists are rather eclectic in their approaches to therapy anyway - you can't expect the same techniques or approaches to work with every client. CBT is generally used to help the client acquire tools for dealing with and coping with current crises or distress. Once the client has learned how to manage symptoms more effectively, the therapist may then help the client discover what historical factors or more recent events or lifestyle factors may have contributed to the crisis (e.g., anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc.).

It appears that CAT is one way of trying to do that within a certain theoretical framework.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.