More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Conan and the Tonight Show: Lessons in Radical Acceptance
Simone Hoermann, Ph.D. Updated: Jan 28th 2010

Last Friday was Conan O?Brien's last night as the host of the Tonight Show, ending two contentious weeks between O?Brien, Jay Leno and NBC that were highlighted in the media as the ?Late Night Wars?. Seven months ago, after a six year transition plan, O?Brien took over the reigns of the Tonight Show from Jay Leno, while Leno started a new show in a 10pm time slot. Ratings of neither show were what the network had hoped. Consequently, NBC asked Leno to do a 30 minute show at 11:35 and wanted Conan to move the Tonight Show back to 12:05. O?Brien refused to move the Tonight Show stating, "I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction."

This set off tension between O?Brien and NBC, and gave plenty of fodder on air for slights, jokes, and tension. According to media reports, O?Brien is now leaving the network with a $45 million settlement--a portion of which is going to pay his staff.

Conan?s last installment of the Tonight Show turned out to get the highest rating on Hulu last week, and support by his fans has been tremendous. Now, I bet you?re wondering, "What does any of that have to do with mental health?"

Well, I certainly don't know Conan O'Brien personally, nor would I dare speak for him or put things in his mouth. However, I thought that O?Brien?s appearance on his last Tonight Show was touching. He conveyed that he was allowed to say anything he wanted to say, and that despite the recent differences he?d had with NBC, the network had been his home for over 20 years. Even more importantly, Conan made it a point to ask people to not be cynical. ?Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get? he said, looking as though he was fighting back tears, ?But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen.?

There is a lot of wisdom in this last statement. Nobody in life gets exactly what they think or what they want all the time. Conan O?Brien could have been sarcastic, cynical, and contentious in this last Tonight Show. However, instead, he chose to be accepting and conciliatory.

I?m sure we?ve all had times in our lives when things did not go our way. We?ve had times when we thought life should be a certain way, when we felt that we should get certain things, that we should be treated in a certain way. We?ve had times when we were disappointed, when we had to experience a loss, and when things didn?t go the way they should be going. Maybe you can relate ? maybe you?ve lost a job, maybe a lover broke up with you, maybe you?ve been diagnosed with an illness, or experienced some type of tragedy hit in one way or another. The pain of that can be tremendous and sometimes unfathomable.

I guess, typically, what we then try to do is quarrel with fate, harbor resentment, push up against what is happening, and fight the reality that things are so. This is so very human, and I bet we?ve all done it. Have you also experienced that moment of relief that that occurs when you finally accept that things are the way they are? When you can acknowledge that, yes, it hurts, that, yes, it is infuriating, yes, it feels unfair that any of it happened, but that "it is what it is?"

This is what DBT talks about in a skill called "radical acceptance". This moment when you stop fighting reality and accept that life is the way it is. Now, this does not mean that you approve or agree. This also does not mean that you put your hands in your lap and accept things that you could change without doing do anything about them. Rather, radical acceptance is often a starting point for change ? in order to affect change, you first have to realize what the situation is and acknowledge it.

If you?ve ever tried radical acceptance, you?ve probably noticed that it tends to last for only a short time, usually moments to minutes. Therefore, acceptance is thought of as something that you have to do over and over again. You might have experienced it yourself ? something really difficult happens, and you resent it and fight it and are broken up about it. So then, maybe at some point, you decide you?re just going to have to accept it, and there is this sense of relief. And then short time later, you find yourself resenting and fighting again. The idea is that acceptance is something that you have to decide to be willing to engage in over and over again. Acceptance is something that can be extraordinarily difficult.

Now, granted, you may not consider Conan O?Brien?s situation a major tragedy, particularly as he gets to walk off with a lot of money. However, he lost his job, which he called, ?the best job on earth?, and said that walking away from it was ?the hardest thing I have ever had to do.? He did not get what he wanted, and he made a graceful exit in the end.

I do realize that the concept of radical acceptance may sound a bit provocative. ?Great, Simone?, you might say, ?I?m just supposed to accept things that are painful?? That?s why I want to put this out there as questions: Have you had experience in using this idea of radical acceptance? Are there things in your life that you have to decide to accept, no matter how hard it is? Were there moments when radical acceptance was helpful, or moments when it really was not?

Simone Hoermann, Ph.D., is a Psychologist in private practice in New York City. She specializes in providing psychotherapy for Personality Disorders, Anxiety, and Depression. She is a faculty member of Columbia University, and facilitates psychotherapy and skills training groups at the Columbia East 60th Street Day Treatment Program.

Retired

Conan Obrien deserved to get sacked, because he just did not have the skill, insight, intellect nor finess of any of his predecessors or even his contemporaries. How he remained employed by NBC for so long is a mystery to me.

On the subject of radical acceptance, the question occurs to me, when is radical acceptance simply giving up or capitulating when there might be options to explore such as alternative employment, other relationships, changes in lifestyle or just starting from scratch..again.

Other than a diagnosis of an incurable terminal disease, I find it difficult to consider acceptance as an option.....or am I missing something about the concept?

Conan Obrien deserved to get sacked, because he just did not have the skill, insight, intellect nor finess of any of his predecessors or even his contemporaries. How he remained employed by NBC for so long is a mystery to me.

I thought I was the only one who thought this. :eek:

Retired

Daniel said:
It's often used for accepting the past rather than beating oneself up and engaging in self-defeating behaviors

I am trying to get my head around this concept of using acceptance of an unwanted situation as an alternative to seeking out an alternative, more productive, lucrative, attractive, (inset the adjective of your choice) situation.

Why is it better to give up than to carry on in a different direction?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
There is more info here:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/borderline-personality-disorder/18561-marsha-linehan-on-dbt.html (YouTube video)

Secrets of Psychotherapy (Part 4) : Change or Acceptance? - Psychology Today

From Suffering to Freedom: Practicing Reality Acceptance (sample video clip)

Google: radical acceptance

A similar concept is the Serenity Prayer mentioned in AA:

Grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things that I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Hermes

It ain't about giving up, Steve.

Quote:
"Rather, radical acceptance is often a starting point for change – in order to affect change, you first have to realize what the situation is and acknowledge it. "
and

"“Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get”.

Put differently, the past is history, the future is a mystery and all we have is the present.

Short of entering a time warp we cannot go back to change the past, nor can we travel to the future to manipulate the way we would like it to be.

Quote from above:

"Acceptance is something that can be extraordinarily difficult." Very true, because for some odd reason humans seem to think they can control absolutely everything, and they quarrel with fate. If one can learn to quieten the mind, even for a short period, instead of kicking and plunging, it can produce surprising results.

Hermes

Yuray

Radical Acceptance. As the author states, the term may sound a little provocative, and the author is right, especially when equating the term with Conans dismissal. It is very provocative in eliciting negative feedback when used in the context that it is used in regarding Conan.

The term may be somewhat esoteric, and even minimalized when used in the Conan context. When a person(s) have exhausted every option to betterment, when there is simply no other choice, and a deep realization of hopelessness prevails and is accepted at an even deeper level, and the solitude of ones thoughts become a prison, is when the term Radical Acceptance is best applied.

When Jews quietly, without resistance, walked into gas chambers, is Radical Acceptance.
When a mother has witnessed her children burning in her house, while she is helpless, is Radical Acceptance.
When your dog is killed by a car as you watch, is Radical Acceptance.
As Steve mentioned, terminal illness. (and any other manner of losing ones life without choosing to).
There are NO options in these cases. Thats Radical Acceptance.

Losing a job would qualify Radical Acceptance only if it was the last job in the world. I know the author is not so much equating Conan and Radical Acceptance as an air tight definition, and as an illustation only, but there are many ways to get the message and understanding of Radical Acceptance out there without using Conan as the vehicle.

“the best job on earth”, and said that walking away from it was “the hardest thing I have ever had to do.” He did not get what he wanted, and he made a graceful exit in the end.

Fine and dandy, but anyone reading that can say the same. Conan would receive my sympathies (and I know Conan is not looking for them, nor is he likely aware that his name is even being used in this context) only if he lost his job then was told he was terminally ill.

A better, more closely related term would be grudging acceptance.

Rather, radical acceptance is often a starting point for change –

If we carry to the extreme the previous examples I used of what Radical Acceptance is, there will be no change. Things are what they are.

I am not trying to detract from the message and information in the authors post becuase it is any eye opener for anyone who is not familiar with the concept of Radical Acceptance. Its just a term that needen't be mentioned in reference to Conans situation.

Think of Radical Islam, radical left or right in politics, radical in chemistry. The use of the word radical in these cases generally means unmoving and fixed in purpose.

Although Conan left his show gracefully and respectfully, he could have mentioned : "although it was the hardest thing I have had to do in my life ladies and gentlemen, and it was the best job on earth, I am somewhat sad that my 45 million buyout will only be 20 million after taxes....hows that for an kick in the ass........."

P.S. when one dilgently replies to a thread in the 'reply to thread' window, and one loses all the writings because the battery on the laptop went dead, is indeed one of those rare non life threatening examples of radical acceptance.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW, from the first link I mentioned:

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]All of us have experienced radical acceptance so what I want you to do right now is to try to focus in on sometime in your life when you've actually accepted something, radically - completely and totally.

So let's think about it. When might that be? Well, think back in your own life to either something you've lost, perhaps someone you've loved has died, or something that you really wanted that you didn't get - a job you really wanted and you didn't get it.

Think about something you wanted that you either didn't get or something that you had that you've lost. Now, sit back, close your eyes and go back in time to right before you found out that you've lost what you had or right before you've found out that you weren't going to get what you wanted. Imagine that again. Kind of go back there. And then go through that period were you weren't accepting it, and then move to imagining when you did accept it. So kind of like, relive that.

Most people can find some place in their life where that's happened to them and where they've accepted it, and that's what I mean by radical acceptance...

Often when you've accepted you have this sense of letting go of the struggle. It's just like you've been struggling and now you're not. Sometimes, if you have accepted, you just have this sense of being centered, like you feel centered inside yourself somehow.

You may have a lot of sadness. Acceptance often goes with a lot of sadness actually, but even though you've got sadness, there's a feeling like a burden's lifted. Usually if you've accepted, you feel, well, ready to move on with your life. Sort of feel free, ready to move. So that's what it feels like.
Let's keep going. Pain is pain. Suffering, agony, are pain plus non-acceptance. So if you take pain, add non-acceptance you end up with suffering. Radical acceptance transforms suffering into ordinary pain.

There are three parts to radical acceptance. The first part is accepting that reality is what it is. The second part is accepting that the event or situation causing you pain has a cause. The third part is accepting life can be worth living even with painful events in it.

Introduction to Radical Acceptance[/SIZE][/FONT] (partial transcription of From Suffering to Freedom: Practicing Reality Acceptance)
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Hermes said:
"Rather, radical acceptance is often a starting point for change – in order to affect change, you first have to realize what the situation is and acknowledge it."

...If one can learn to quieten the mind, even for a short period, instead of kicking and plunging, it can produce surprising results.
Yes, a similar point regarding mindfulness in general:

“It’s a shift from having our mental health defined by the content of our thoughts,” Dr. Hayes said, “to having it defined by our relationship to that content — and changing that relationship by sitting with, noticing and becoming disentangled from our definition of ourselves.”

Lotus Therapy: Mindfulness Meditation gains ground in therapy

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/depression/12560-to-fight-depression-or-not-to-fight.html

Retired

Thank you for the diversity of perspectives on the topic. There's a lot to think about and I will review all the links provided and think about the insightful responses.

I think the original article may have set me off in the wrong direction of thought.

Yuray said:
and one loses all the writings because the battery on the laptop went dead, is indeed one of those rare non life threatening examples of radical acceptance

Expressed as a true parable...one that I can relate to from past experience <sigh>

Yuray

Steve,

Sluggish Loading / Forum Outage
This evening since about 8pm I noticed very sluggish loading until the Forum and all Psychlinks went offline at about 8:30.....as I was about to post a message that I lost (ugh!)

lol, now I see what you mean.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.